• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show this coming weekend!!

mister45

Managed to get to the gun show at the Citrus County fairgrounds today, had a pretty good time and it was nice to see hundreds of people, including plenty of women and minorities, buying, trading, and *gasp* openly carrying guns. Unloaded and zip-tied, but at least I got to wear the 92 in the holster I made for it today. Couple people even offered me a little more than I paid for it. Finally found a flush-fit 14 round mag for it too, the dang things are almost impossible to find for the compact version. And some cheap .380's.

It's a shame that they moved it to Inverness this time, I dislike the cover charge and the fact they call it a donation.. Donation used to mean, What ever you wish to give... Now the show should offer you discounts or refunds on cover charges if you make a purchase at them... But they don't, I have also seen some of the prices are really higher at the shows then they should be.. And then if I carry, I will not carry a zipped gun, Concealed and hidden from view the last time I carried in Crystal Rivers Gun show a idiot sheriffs deputy told me I had to take my weapon back to the car and leave it there or be trespassed and possibly arrested because it was a Federal Government building (Armory), He seen the out line when I bent over.. I think that is stupid.. He said we are here to protect you, I said One (1) deputy to protect us all.. lol..

~*'Phoenix'*~

It's a shame that they moved it to Inverness this time, I dislike the cover charge and the fact they call it a donation.. Donation used to mean, What ever you wish to give... Now the show should offer you discounts or refunds on cover charges if you make a purchase at them... But they don't, I have also seen some of the prices are really higher at the shows then they should be.. And then if I carry, I will not carry a zipped gun, Concealed and hidden from view the last time I carried in Crystal Rivers Gun show a idiot sheriffs deputy told me I had to take my weapon back to the car and leave it there or be trespassed and possibly arrested because it was a Federal Government building (Armory), He seen the out line when I bent over.. I think that is stupid.. He said we are here to protect you, I said One (1) deputy to protect us all.. lol..
(Well, I submitted to the zip-tying because I was looking for magazines for them and needed to pull them out and check if they fit, and was interested in hearing values/offers)
Lol, why would 300+ like-minded well-armed people need protection? What kind of idiocy would it take to attempt any violence against such a crowd?

mavidal

(Well, I submitted to the zip-tying because I was looking for magazines for them and needed to pull them out and check if they fit, and was interested in hearing values/offers)
Lol, why would 300+ like-minded well-armed people need protection? What kind of idiocy would it take to attempt any violence against such a crowd?

I think the issue is they are more concerned with an idiot who does not handle weapons properly shooting one off by accident. The first time I went to the show this happened, but with a display piece.

JeepSeller

I think the issue is they are more concerned with an idiot who does not handle weapons properly shooting one off by accident. The first time I went to the show this happened, but with a display piece.

Unfortunately, it only takes one bozo to screw it up for everyone. Get muzzled by loaded handguns a few times by these bozos at a gun range and you might have a little more understanding of the "no loaded firearms" thing. It's not about violating your rights, it's about liability and protecting the guests, vendors, and staff at these shows from the morbidly stupid.

I don't say I like it any more than any one else. I just understand the logic. No one is forcing us to go, we make the choice to go, so, we have to abide by their rules, even if we don't agree with those rules.

Personally, I don't go to the shows as much anymore. I make the choice to avoid them personally. I haven't been in awhile and may go to one again soon, just for fun, but, I don't enjoy being disarmed myself. So, I just don't go where I'm disarmed. Really simple solution if you ask me. LOL

JeepSeller

I went bright and early this morning, and meet a lot of nice people and talked for awhile... nice to see so many people and especialy families out at the show.

I normally dont buy anything at gun shows but i fell in love with a awesome looking short barrel Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun which i couldnt have left behind. the only thing i was dissapointed about was how much more expensive everything was... ammo, handguns, and about 90 percent of everything else was just as expensive at your local gun store. The only thing worth buying really was shotguns...shotguns were really cheap.

Nice pickup there. I've had my eye on one of those 500's for some time myself. Just haven't "pulled the trigger" yet.

It's been my experience that gun shows are good for only one thing....window shopping. I won't spend a penny there unless i want a cold fizzy drink from the snack bar. I've seen prices over 100% mark-up at shows. For example, Federal FMJ 50ct .40SW ball ammo...WalMart-$14........Show price---$40.

A few years back, I bought a Beretta 96D Centurion for around $350 out the door at a local gun store. A week later..... Same local gun store/dealer at the Orlando Gun Show...same dang gun..$499.

Nope. I won't fall for it. But, I do think it's awful nice of those gun dealers to take all that time and energy to lay everything out so I can walk around, paw things I like, decide what I want, go home and buy it online or my local shop cheaper. To be blunt, for around $10, it's a cheap day's entertainment for me. LOL

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

I guess I can't complain too much about the one I went to:
I found .380 JHP/FMJ/LRN for $12/50
I found the flush-fit mag for my 92compact I couldn't find anywhere else, even online, for $30 (the one I did find online was $60 and they were out of stock, and it was only an 8-round single stack, this one's a 14-round double stack)
I got estimates/offers for my gun at and above the price I paid for it.
I got a good look at some mini-14's; but not the mini-30's I'm starting to look for.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I went bright and early this morning, and meet a lot of nice people and talked for awhile... nice to see so many people and especialy families out at the show.

I normally dont buy anything at gun shows but i fell in love with a awesome looking short barrel Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun which i couldnt have left behind. the only thing i was dissapointed about was how much more expensive everything was... ammo, handguns, and about 90 percent of everything else was just as expensive at your local gun store. The only thing worth buying really was shotguns...shotguns were really cheap.

I've had one with a 'tamer' on it for years. I <3 Persuader.