• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloggers suddenly find OCing and get fired up about it

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seems The World's Most Dangerous Librarian http://thebredafallacy.blogspot.com/ has discovered the joys of OCing and has been spreading the word among the gun-blogging community, which has jumped on the bandwagon with both feet.

http://excelsatnothing.blogspot.com/2011/05/open-carry-day.html

Open Carry Day
I was congratulating Breda last weekend on her open carry experience and said “Hey! We should have an open carry day and see how many people we can get to do it!” And so we touched base with Mike W., who has been OCing for a while, now. And I know there are a lot of others out there that just do it and don’t blog about it, because it’s just not a big deal once you get over that feeling that everyone is staring at you like they did in high school when you had that giant Cyclops zit on your forehead that popped up after your Algebra class and nobody told you about it. (Don’t tell me I was the only one. We didn’t have Pro-Active back in the old days.)

ANYHOW. June 5th (the first Sunday in June) has hereby been declared the first annual Open Carry Day for those that can do it. That's it. Just wear a gun, and go about your normal daily routine. The sight of regular people wearing a gun shouldn't be a big deal, and who better to normalize it than reasonably normal people? Report back with what happens. I’m hoping there will be a lot observations that “Person goes about their normal day with a gun and nothing happened!” It will turn into a non-event, which is exactly what open carrying should be.

So I suppose we should consider June 5th to be a "special" day for OCing?

Yes, I've invited them to all come and join us here at OCDO. Maybe if a few more invitations were extended they might show up and find out how many folks are involved in non-events on a daily basis.

stay safe.

Wolf1477

At least it's a blogger who's Pro OC (hell, carrying in general) and not one of those who stand and scream "HE'SGOTTAGUN!!! MAKETHEBADMANGOAWAY!!"

If they want to call it a special day then go for it, good exposure is good exposure. Personally I'll call it "Sunday" and go about my normal business (mmm, biscuits & gravy)<g>

Glad you invited them over, never hurts to have more voices.

HeroHog

She but that's cool. Me, I OC daily EVERY day! I OCed to the bank to open my wife's new business account this morning.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I hope they do their research on prohibited places and 4th amendment issues...

Why are they limiting themselves to one day?

Why is there an exclamation point at the end of a sentence which describes nothing happening?

Last edited:

Aknazer

I hope they do their research on prohibited places and 4th amendment issues...

Why are they limiting themselves to one day?

Why is there an exclamation point at the end of a sentence which describes nothing happening?

My guess would be that it's because OCing is a relatively new concept to them, they are initially limiting it to one day simply to see how it goes (as people here know, it can draw attention to you and maybe those people won't want to deal with the attention. Or it just might not be the method they prefer to carry with), and the exclamation might be because they're excited about this new thought or in anticipation of "the big day" kinda like when you first get to drive most kids are excited about that day.

nobama

Yea, there are people that own guns that would NEVER consider OC unless it was some sort of event. These people have not jumped on the band waggon, they think that the sheep will cause a fuss, call the cops or whatever. At least they are aware and maybe they will be active later. I say to them, grow a set.

billv

Flag Day

Rather than June 5 which seems to have no significance. they should have made it June 14, Flag Day.

Seems appropriate to carry your firearm and celebrate your countries flag and exercise your 2A right on that day.

Then again, I carry my firearm everyday, I just can't do it openly, here in the Lone Star State. :banghead:

Aknazer

Yea, there are people that own guns that would NEVER consider OC unless it was some sort of event. These people have not jumped on the band waggon, they think that the sheep will cause a fuss, call the cops or whatever. At least they are aware and maybe they will be active later. I say to them, grow a set.

You have to admit that there is a TON of mis-information out there and various myths and what not. All of this directly contributes to one's comfort level with OCing and must be dealt with for expecting someone to accept OCing, much less perform it on a regular basis.

So I would recommend treating this as a good thing and as a positive opportunity to help break down some of the barriers (both with the general public and even with those that are choosing to OC for the first time) rather than saying that they should simply jump in with both feet. After all, one has to learn to walk before they can run.

eye95

I welcome these carriers to the cause of OC.

I will make it a point to be out and about on June 5th.

Anyone up for an OC dinner?

Last edited:

Faitmaker

Some of us do it more often than once

I've helped jump on that "wagon" as a blogger, but don't assume that it is a new discovery. I've blogged about it, supported, it... etc, as has many other people.

Granted, some *are* new to it.. and if they want to call a special day to be a "non-event" with tongue in cheek.. I'll go along with it and do it with them. I was already planning on going on a hike that day and instead of concealing as I normally would (because I can), I will OC instead (because I can). Maybe new/old readers haven't seen my articles about it and by pointing out that it is legal in my state.. they will come to it of their own accord.

I have a CHL and tend to conceal but I'm also not bothered to OC. Be careful making assumptions and be supportive of those that are helping to bring others to your lifestyle.

It is great that many of you do it every day, but please don't denigrate anyone who is new to it. It is normal for you and probably a little scary for them.

Faitmaker

Yeah.. that attitude will completely win them over to your way of thinking. I'm glad you are an "ambassador for OC". Maybe this is why the firearm movement has taken so long to get started. You are willing to beat people down because they don't do it your way.

Most of my friend's conceal because they want to do so and don't have to OC. I say... whatever you want! Even if that means you don't carry at all.

Batousaii

Ty Fait

- Ty for offering some exposure to those that might not have considered OC, or even known about it otherwise. I'd say that making "fun" - or - "an event" in an effort to break the ice and afford them a little courage to give OC a try is commendable.

Thanks for the efforts

:dude: Bat

XD40coyote

I was talking to a waitress today in PA about OC and said something about how sometimes in different areas people get scared and call 911. She said " why would people call the police for that?". She is not a gun person or anything and likley heard of OC before ( the local paper in York PA has had numerous articles, and the Fox 43 local channel has as well). I'd never bought up OC with her before, but we were discussing how hot it was today and I mentioned how OCing is best when it is hot, like who wants to conceal?

The more I talk to people in this area of PA, it seems that the area is really down homey still despite all the MD people who have moved there or shop there. You mention guns to most people around and it's normal talk. Mention lisc to carry to most any man who lives there, and it's like "yeah I have one", like it's no big deal. This one lady who works the sporting goods counter sometimes at Walmart- when she sees me, she always asks about my trapping. If I could get the nerve to OC there and she was there, I wonder what she would say? Probably "nice, what kind of gun?". I had this one man see me OCing one time while we were discussing local coyote hunting, and he said "oh I see you carry too". BTW the gov't permission slip process in this county can be 20 minutes wait if you walk in with the application form already filled out. Laminated card with your pic too.

nobama

Please let me back peddle a bit. First I have nothing but respect for anyone who wants to carry any way. I got a little wrapped around the axle (not at these folks personally) because last year we had an OC "restore the constitution rally" and after the rally alot of people went out meet for dinner,I could not make the dinner, out of all those people,only one person OCed. I was very disappointed. I really think people believe its not legal unless they have permission from the state for some event. This plus not to mention I had a run in on a CC site and was told it wasnt legal i my state and was giving bad info . Soooo, Im sorry if I sounded harsh, didnt mean anything by it. Please carry on ANY WAY you feel comfortable. And good for them.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I wasn't attempting to denigrate anyone, just that these holes seem to suggest there are other holes.... If someone in NM carries into a convenience store that sells beer, or someone in AZ carries into a post office, or someone in a RED state OCs at all.... It could be a very unpleasant day.