• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Told by Walmart manager can not buy ammo while OC

fire suppressor

Yesterday I was thinking trying to get out to the range but waned to make sure I had enough rounds first so I walked into my friendly neighbourhood Walmart. I walked in with my XD out in all its glory out for all the world to see right past the overly aggressive borderline abusive man petitioning outside, past the gretter and strait back to the sporting goods section.
All went well up until this point, I told the salesman what I wanted as he unlocked the ammo and he seemed either blind to my gun or didn't care.
Just as he started to ring me up by chance the stores manager happened to be walking by, all of the sudden I herd "what are you doing! Don't do that!" The manager came over and told the salesman not to sell the bullets to me for his and mine own safety. Both he salesman and I had he same confused look on our face as we stared at the manager. The manager continued "once you sell that too him what's stopping him from loading up and shooting up the place". After the salesman being speechless for a few seconds surprisingly he came to my defence with "I'm pretty sure he's already loaded so whats the diffrence".
We all three chatted for a few more minutes until the manager told me again for everyone's safety he would allow me to purchase the ammo in the sporting good section of the store but I would have to pick them up at register 14 on my way out the door.
My first thought was to give this guy a peace of my mind and ask to see corporate policy but could see how uncomfortable he was having someone open carry in the store. So instead I agreed to his terms and spent the next 20 min casually strolling through the store while he followed me at a distance obviously on the urge of a panic attack. I was extremely polite and well mannered the enter time showing him more tolerance than he showed me. I picked up a few more items I needed purchased them and picked my bullets up on the way out. The manager followed me all the way out of the door and part if the way to my car. I smiled, thanked him and drove off.

sudden valley gunner

I've heard of this happening before and they wouldn't sell to Green is faster because he isn't 21 but I have never had any problems buying ammo while open carrying.

tombrewster421

I like how the salesman said "I'm pretty sure he's loaded already". Maybe the manager wouldn't have followed you if he hadn't brought it to his attention. I've also never had a problem buying ammo while OC.

oneeyeross

Must be this manager's idea of what policy is or something. I've purchased ammo while carrying at the Wal-mart in Chehalis with no issues...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Maybe walmart should have you conceal it before purchasing ammo. You see, the thickness of a cotton T-shirt over your gun would block you from loading up in the store :rolleyes:

MR Redenck

Maybe walmart should have you conceal it before purchasing ammo. You see, the thickness of a cotton T-shirt over your gun would block you from loading up in the store :rolleyes:

That's funny. HeHe.
WalMart sucks! I never go to that place anymore, or Academy! I hate Academy worse!

Outdoorsman1

I am thinking this was a "Manager Specific" incident... I would contact his superior or even "Corporate" so they could educate him on actual Walmart policy....

Outdoorsman1

DevinWKuska

My first response would be to get as many OCers as possible to go during that managers shift to buy ammunition. Have the teller call him for assistance with ringing people up...

My second response would be to do as posted above and mention this incident to the proper level of the wally world food chain.

Badger Johnson

What's funny is that here is a guy who works in the Sporting Goods section and he's never encountered this situation, or thought about it. If I was that dumb on my (former) and lacked the ability to make a reasoned decision I wouldn't have lasted long.

It happens everywhere. You go to the DMV and try to update your maiden name (girlfriend's) or get a license in state and they act like they've never experienced it before. Nobody has ever gotten divorced or moved in state in their tenure. They have to go confer - 'oh I THINK you need your passport, wait no, birth certificate, no wait a current bill, no, it's blood from an unborn calf. :banghead:

amlevin

Just another reason that my "Ammo Store" is in my workshop. I make everything I shoot. Not only do I avoid the high prices but also the idiots like this Wal-Mart manager.

I get everything I need delivered to my door. Handloading anyone?

carry for myself

spent 20 min hahah good one ;-) i would have told him to shove it. and went to cabelas, or a local shop. I OC at walmart here in maine and buy ammo all the time, no issues.

even bought a rifle + ammo for the rifle while OC in Vermont. no issues.

although a walmart here in Maine a manager told me "guns are dangerous, they kill people" i told him "if my gun kills people, your pencil mis-spells words"

some people just think the guns going to fly out of the holster and start shooting people by itself...........on a side note in a self defense situation, my gun flying out of the holster and shooting the BG on its own could come in handy......................:banghead:

carry for myself

" you cannot buy socks while wearing feet! you may take your shoes off and give our already gross floors a funi problem!" :banana: