Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Dispatch has interest in Open Carry here in St Louis

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Post Dispatch has interest in Open Carry here in St Louis

Shane Anthony of the Post Dispatch Spoke to me about doing a discussion piece about my outreach into starting the Open Carry Movement here in St Louis.

I spoke with him and he wants to write just an information discussion piece about what I did in starting the Starbucks tour. Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to. That is the part that will probably go ugly. But you can't always preach to the choir.

Doc

Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to.
    Would these "experts" he desires to consult be folks behind a desk who've never considered looking at the statutes until something was mentioned about doing so and have personally never had anything to do with open carry like we have?

I guess the word "expert" is easily translated into "folks who have recently read about it and have a similar outlook " rather than "folks who have done it for years".
    Last edited by Superlite27; 05-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    Shane Anthony of the Post Dispatch Spoke to me about doing a discussion piece about my outreach into starting the Open Carry Movement here in St Louis.

I spoke with him and he wants to write just an information discussion piece about what I did in starting the Starbucks tour. Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to. That is the part that will probably go ugly. But you can't always preach to the choir.

Doc
    Who, pray tell, is an open carry "expert"? Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"? I would ask him for a chance to rebut any comments he gets from other sources before he publishes his piece.

I can see the Post leaning this a certain way.

And yea the "expert" thing is gonna be funny. I'm guessing he'll contact some LEO who will tell him how dangerous open carry is.

Hopefully he has times to ask the City/County Police why they keep having ND's, if they are indeed the experts.

Doc
    I'ma bit surprised you'd talk to them. I've suggested press coverage by TV media, might get a better fair shake???
    The Post-Discrace will get the same anti2A folks they always use - STL Police freek oops Chief, and perhaps a 2A "expert" who is anti -OC, I know some of them from another discussion site, and they are well known to the media.
    Rol the dice if you like, but the anti2As may just put a cruch on things.

I know you wil lpresent the pro-OC side well, it's just the bad boys who wil "ATTACK" with a vengence.
    Invite the reporter to a 2A OC dinner, might show him we arn't lunnies!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Personally I hold that even a hit piece is better than no media coverage. There are people out there that are getting tired of the spoon feed tripe they've been getting from the Brady Bunch and their ilk - they see through it and it starts them thinking.

I don't know that the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has ever backed away from a media opportunity. We seem to gain ground, not lose ground, each time.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I trust DOC to do the best interview that anyone in this area can. I wish him well.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Experts on open carry? I thought we the law abiding citizens were the experts on 2A seeing as we exercise the right!

I respectfully disagree Tony, there are folks who really have a greater knowledge of 2 A rights. We are more end users. Not to dgrade us or what we do, but that is the way it is.
    We have bodies but we're not the "experts" on them any more than we drive vehicles and we are not the "experts" on those.

Accomplished Advocate
    I like it and hate it at the same time. I agree with Grapeshot, however the post is VERY likely to paint this in a very very bad light, they did and pretty much still do the same thing with CCW.

Even if Shane tried to do a fair piece, I would bet a big dollar amount the editors turn it in to a huge ****, just like fox2 did with Darrow.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

I'm with LMTD on this. They'll spin it some how into a bunch of rednecks with guns that know nothing about safety.

if all hell breaks loose, doc will unleash his hawk on them.

that would be awesome.

on a more serious note, i think it may be a good thing for exposure. i would remind him how many Oc know local ordinances better than the LEO of that city.

and to watch the anti oc people yap there jaw off about stuff that will most likely make no sense.

doc would be a great spokesperson for this piece

I'd say go for it. Yeah, the post isn't exactly pro-gun, but when I dealt with them back in 2007 they were more interested in getting the whole, real story, not just sound bites to play on the news. I actually sat down with one of their reporters for several hours to discuses the entire incident and it was very well represented. The local news stations and national news stations didn't want all of that fluff, just the down and dirty parts that create controversy.

Of course they are going to get the side of the police/anti gun crowd. Without it, it's just an editorial. I would just make sure you can get a chance to respond to the "experts." I'd even suggest them getting the anti's view first.

The downside? Some municipalities may see it and realize I was not the only one to open carry in the St. Louis area and they better do something about it fast.

Even if Doc did back out on doing the piece in fear that they would protray it in a bad light? Would you think they would still do the piece, just without the OC person side of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    Even if Doc did back out on doing the piece in fear that they would protray it in a bad light? Would you think they would still do the piece, just without the OC person side of the story?
    Of course ......or they'll get someone else to step up to the plate.

Generally the way the media approach such is to say "we are doing a story - would you be willing to give your perspective?" Not participating/playing the game will never put points on the board.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"?

If you look at the word expert,you will see that it is actually two words put together. If we look closely at the words as individual, we can see the true meaning of the combined words. The word ex, means " A has been", and the word pert means," A drip". So........as used in the first sentence, the experts are ," has beens",living in the past talking about former conquests and glories, and "drips, that are all wet, and probably cant hold water.Sometimes the testimony off so called experts, is just that, has beens,that are all wet. IMHO....that is....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"?

If you look at the word expert,you will see that it is actually two words put together. If we look closely at the words as individual, we can see the true meaning of the combined words. The word ex, means " A has been", and the word pert means," A drip". So........as used in the first sentence, the experts are ," has beens",living in the past talking about former conquests and glories, and "drips, that are all wet, and probably cant hold water.Sometimes the testimony off so called experts, is just that, has beens,that are all wet. IMHO....that is....
    That's good! Can I steal that?

I have some places I can use it!
    Last edited by mspgunner; 05-28-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    That's good! Can I steal that?

I have some places I can use it!
    No problem, use whatever you want. IMHO, anything posted on the internet is available to anyone who has tha ability to copy and paste.But im sure that opinion, is'nt shared by all.:P
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Post-Dispatch interview done.

Initial interview has been done. He wants to gets some counter points and do some more legal research to find out how OC became so fractured and complicated here in MO. Before he writes the whole story.

Doc

Accomplished Advocate
    He wants to gets some counter points and do some more legal research to find out how OC became so fractured and complicated here in MO. Before he writes the whole story.
    Interpretation:

"Wait, wow, this guy made sense, how the hell do I turn this into an anti-gun thing, hmm better get some help"
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

thanks for stepping up to the plate doc.

keep us posted on the story im sure everyone will want to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Do you have a transcript/recording of the entire interview, no need to post, if the story is farther afield than what was actually discussed? It will come in handy to counter any "literary licence" in the future.
    Indeed this should always be SOP/de rigueur - it keeps honest reporting..........honest.

Let your recorder therefore be your constant companion on your walks.
    --With apologies to Mr. Jefferson--

Doc's "special friend" got it on video. I got it on DVR.

The reporter seemed like a pretty straightforward guy. I don't get the feeling he's out to do a "hit piece", just a story on OC in the St. Louis area, the history of carry in general in Missouri, and "The Starbucks Tour". However, even though we were assured of the generality of the story, and I don't think his personal intent is other than that, his few words about his editor's involvement in the final "product" didn't completely assure me that the outcome won't have a heavy hand applied by the senior editors.

At least, as far as I know, everyone involved seems to be on the level.

So far.

The proof is in the pudding.

As far as my opinion, I think Doc did a great job. He was very knowledgeable and eloquent. He has an awesome ability to put factual information in a "listener friendly" form of communication. He's definitely the guy to act as the local spokesperson for OC. He also pays a heckuva lot of attention to how his demeanor affects how what he says gets accepted by the listener. (IOW: He can feed you $#!t so politely, you'll think you're eating caviar.) Something I'm very bad at. (I can feed you ambrosia and you'll, somehow, want to kick my ass for it.) I just have a hard time putting what I mean into an inoffensive, non-smartalecky dialect. My sarcasm knob appears to have broken off around level 11 with the treble set to spine curdling.

This is as good a place as any to post this. I'm asking folks who support OC, as I do to not post anything about OC on another (well known) Missouri 2A site.
    Please trust me, the site I make reference too (you know what that is if you've been posting) has more clout in the State Capitol than you can imagine. Let's not get the powers to be on that site more angry with the OC effort. Of course I can't tell you not to post but trust me, you are hurting the OC cause in Missouri by getting them PO'd. I get along well with them and have announced I'm running for their BOD. Their site like this one is watched by those who oppose our efforts, don't give anyone ammunition to oppose us, there are enough folks who already do. Keep OC here not on other sites that disagree with us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast