• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

you are required to present ID to enter this gov't building

NavyMike

Pretty good point. So we can ad to saying "criminals carry concealed" that "criminals carry I.D." :p

Exactly, this does nothing more than create an illusion of security. It's little different to declaring a Gun Free School zone and expecting it to magically keep out the Seung-Hui Cho's of this world.

Unless the court has a named suspect who has made a threat against the court, what's the point of asking for ID? Does the court have its own equivalent to a 'no fly' list?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone else see this as chilling our right to witness our gov't in action?

Not really. I doubt they'd turn away anyone carrying a valid government (state or federal) ID. Furthermore, it's not a participatory forum anyway. I'd be alarmed if they recorded people's attendance.

Does anyone else see the irony in a court building breaking the law?

What law are they breaking, MKEgal?

What possible good will it do for me to present a card with a picture of me, & a name? How will that keep the building safer?

Valid ID's aren't as easy to come by or make as one might think. Then again, they're not that difficult to make, either.

The primary benefit is that it puts those who may cause mayhem on notice that they're watching the entrances fairly closely.

How will that keep the building safer?
I presume they already have armed guards & metal detectors.

Which are great for stopping an overt frontal attack and detecting metal.

Once more, with feeling: we can't be forced to identify ourselves to gov't agents.

Really? RAS/PC gives them the right. Given the elevated threat, anyone refusing to ID themselves raises enough suspicion... Right?

Right?

(pin drops)

Well, at least that's the approach they're using. Earlier someone on another thread posted a laundry list of federal court level findings which indicate that you're correct, MKEgal, they can't force us to identify ourselves.

They may, however, prevent access to certain buildings and properties, the same way everyone entering a military installation, whether military or civilian, must also show ID.