• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June 5th - Open Carry day

Rich B

After everything I've read about the Philly incident, the fewer people calling the cops on us, the better. The only way to reduce those incidents at any kind of speed is media exposure.

I don't think there is any way to qualify that. Media exposure done wrong could have quite the opposite effect. Wisconsin's struggle is well publicized and is complete with a detailed AG declaratory ruling and they still had the 'Madison 5' incident.

The vast majority of non permit holders do not know it's legal.

That doesn't mean they think it is illegal though. Many people have never thought about it, but on their first positive encounter with an OCer have the ability to decide for themselves about it.

If a bunch of those people see a news story on TV or in the paper that open carry is legal then those people aren't going to call the police when they see us open carrying. And that might become a water cooler discussion at work and that will spread it even further.

You say that as if it hasn't already happened.

Again, I believe the goal should be the cruiser driving past you and not stopping.

This happens to me all the time. It is impossible to know if they don't notice or they don't care or they know their law. But regardless, I have had many cruisers drive past me while OCing in broad daylight and I have never had one stop and violate my rights. The closest to that was my New Haven OC incident and I don't think you can argue that my rights were violated that day.

Andrew Malik

I abide by the idea "never ask permission for your rights". If you do this, I can guarantee you that you will have a negative interaction.

It makes no difference if they do 'freak out'. That is still no breach of peace. Unless you had the intent to freak someone out. Having a firearm properly holstered is not 'intent' to cause that harm. Just like someone walking by someone smoking a cigarette in a place they are permitted to do so is not against the law.

That is fine, but again, please know your stuff before doing so. You not knowing the laws 100% or just shouting on camera about 2nd amendment rights is not going to do us any good. The OC issue in CT is not about 2nd amendment rights really at this point. It is about 4th amendment rights. That is what needs to be put out to the media. If you would like help with this, I would be glad to assist with your first OC or media experiences while OCing.

My number: 203.208.9577

You clearly type faster than I do. lol

I'll give you a call sometime this week.

Rich B

Thanks for all the breakdown. It's just that I've never seen anyone OC-ing other than my friend Shawn who is a member here and I've been living here in CT for quite some time. And I've never seen antyhing in the local news or in the paper. But as I've admitted previously, I get most of my news from Fox and CNN.

Goldberg was in the Hartford Courant.

Myself, Ed Peruta and Peter Kuck were in the advocate(s) (Fairfield, New Haven, Hartford, etc)

OC doesn't need to be popular. It only needs to be a freedom of choice. If you want to do it, go ahead, it is legal. If you don't want to, that is fine as well. That is the message I am trying to send. Freedom of choice.

I'm still going to ask my friend's contact at WTNH to see if they are even interested. Couldn't hurt.

As Kix has said, it certainly could hurt. I don't know you or your experience with OC or your knowledge of the laws, but I am assuming (I admit I have no basis) that you are knew to this arena. The media is not necessarily your friend (especially WTNH). I certainly am not about to strong arm you or complain about your choices, but I think maybe you might want to meet up with some of us and actually OC a bit before going out to make a statement. There is a huge wealth of knowledge of the laws and issues in this community and everyone is willing to share.

I hope you reconsider and take someone up on the idea of learning more before doing anything with the media.

Have you been to a CCDL meeting yet?

Andrew Malik

I am drinking a huge coffee at Starbucks. I am probably only going to type faster and faster.

I've only known about OC-ing for the past few months. I prefer concealed carry but it's a total PITA in the spring and summer. I like carrying medium to large handguns (3" barreled N frames/1911's). I am making the choice to start OC-ing because I want more people to know about it.

Again, in my defense I've never seen anyone OC except for Shawn. And I've lived in many towns here (West Haven, New Haven, Derby, Ansonia, Danbury and Milford). I am not paranoid but I'm very alert and observant. Seeing someone OC is not something I'd likely miss.

So hopefully that will change the more of us that become aware and decide to do it. I'm a certified NRA handgun safety instructor. And I'll make sure I pass the knowledge along and encourage my students to join this site. The choice though is ultimately theirs.

Rich B

Again, in my defense I've never seen anyone OC except for Shawn. And I've lived in many towns here (West Haven, New Haven, Derby, Ansonia, Danbury and Milford). I am not paranoid but I'm very alert and observant. Seeing someone OC is not something I'd likely miss.

No need for a defense at all. No one here is likely to be mad at you.

OC and the rights involved are rights that get people very passionately involved. I agree OC is a lot more comfortable, I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt right now and I am carrying a Glock 23 with a TLR-1 as well as 2 extra magazines. This would be very inconvenient to try and conceal, but when I am OCing, I am very comfortable. I can always conceal when I choose to. That is what the freedom of choice is all about.

Again, I hope you take me or someone else up on the offer. I live in North Branford, and I am in New Haven at least weekly (was there last night). The first OCing experience can be a bit nerve wracking, but once you are familiar and comfortable with it, it is quite enjoyable and extremely comfortable. These days, there are plenty of people OCing around the state, and they can be helpful to a 'newbie'.

When I carry my 4 inch or 5 inch 1911s, OC is a great way to go.

And hey, what is the point of having a good looking pistol like most 1911s if it never sees the light of day?

Andrew Malik

Hi Shawn!

Yeah, I just signed up with the CCDL site. I think I'm going to take up Rich B's offer to go and hang out for my first time OC-ing.

Printed out the pamphlet too. Didn't know about New Britain and New London. Not that I ever go to those cities but since it would seem unconstitutional to be banned from carrying at all then I presume that open carry must be okay there.

USAR-VET

Wish I could report something interesting, but it was just a 'normal' OC day for me. I visited Home Depot, Costco, and a convience store with nary a look. Just the way it should be. Hopefully this will encourage others to OC as more and more now know it is legal, and I believe the LE community is now aware of this statewide. We've come a l o n g way my friends. It's good to be American...........:D

carracer

7 of us went to dinner in Nampa Id for Chinese. 3 open carrying, me with my best dressed 1911 condition1. Had a nice chat with the waiter after dinner and invited him to out next meeting. Continued to Lowes and other shopping.

Great Open Carry Dday!