• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June 5th - Open Carry day

Rich B

http://excelsatnothing.blogspot.com/2011/05/open-carry-day.html
http://anothergunblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/very-merry-un-event.html
http://blog.robballen.com/2011/05/26/p4825-i-hate-to-be-negative-nancy-but-this-isnt-going-to.post
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...suddenly-find-OCing-and-get-fired-up-about-it

I think this sounds like something we should give a hand with. Some of us open carry every day anyway, some of us only do it on occasion, some of us don't do it all (yet).

How about for this day we all do it? And anyone who is worried about their first time can try and pair up (or make larger groups, as needed) with others who are more experienced?

This would be a good way and time to get more of us working together on a personal level.

If we want awareness, this would be a good way and a good day to do it. I recommend each person who does so posts a report of their day here so we can document what will otherwise be a 'non-event'.

Last edited:

KIX

This goes along with what I said in another thread.

i was just finding a day where I wasn't doing any volunteer work!!!

I'm all down for this. Especially the "Open Carry Coffee Meeetup" idea I proposed in the other thread as well.

I'm not sure what I'm doing June 5th, but if you want that to be the kickoff, I'll do all I can to spread the word.

Jonathan

KIX

I carry CCDL brochures just so I have certain statues handy.

if we ever get together as a group, I supply most of the central CT gun shops and always have extras in my car if you need any.

instructors, I can get you copies to put in your NRA student packs as well.

Jonathan

Rich B

I carry CCDL brochures just so I have certain statues handy.

I used to as well, but I have stopped.

Wallingford threw them on the ground and stepped on them and later pretended that they somehow made me look like I was 'trying to make a point'.

Old Saybrook didn't look at them much and didn't care. Even when one of them read it, he didn't seem to understand the plain language used by the DPS in their memo to the State Police. He felt I could have been carrying a shotgun and not a handgun, and couldn't understand why I thought that was funny.

I am tired of carrying them. The police in this state have had enough time and enough notice. They need to know the law themselves. During a stop, I have found that the police are engaged in their 'command presence' and they won't back down enough to learn a thing or two about the law.

I will likely be using my 5th amendment right to remain silent a lot more during any (more and more uncommon) stops. LEOs need to be responsible for their own actions and know the laws like they are being paid to.

KIX

Oh, I agree. I'll still give it to them anyway.

I'm more using it when someone asks me about the legality.

I say "here's a brochure with some of your rights, feel free to look at the complete list of state statutes which I have given to CCDL and they put on their website".

I end up with a "thank you, I didn't know that".

I haven't had one nasty argument....... yet.

Jonathan

Rich B

I'm more using it when someone asks me about the legality.

I say "here's a brochure with some of your rights, feel free to look at the complete list of state statutes which I have given to CCDL and they put on their website".

Fair enough. Most people don't want my folded, sweaty copy that has been my pocket all day in the summer.

USAR-VET

You can count me in also, although I OC 90% of the time, i'll be sure to on that Sunday. After reading one of those blogs Rich, I laughed out loud when I read the comment about the first time OC'ing and the fear involved for those first few times. But I, like the original poster found that most people either don't notice, figure your LE, or just don't care. Rich and I will be are working on something coming up that will help like minded people to meet and greet, and possibly have a coffee or something to eat. Details forthcoming.

Ken

Last edited:

Ctclassic

Ok---it's June 2nd....not much discussion here. Where is everyone going to be? Chime in on what part of the state you'll be in. I'll be Norwich/New London area most of the day.

Andrew Malik

1st time poster

I've been licensed to carry since 1991. I might have the opportunity to get someone from WTNH to film me as I OC on Sunday as I walk down Campbell Ave and walk down the beach by Chick's.

I feel that being in the news, more people who are completely oblivious will finally know that OC is legal in this state. This will lead to fewer "man with a gun" calls to the dispatcher.

I do have a concern though. This is a blue state. And too many idiots voted for an anti gun governor as well as a d-bag anti-gun attorney general.

Bringing OC into the spotlight might spur the a-holes in charge to try and make CT a concealed carry only state.

Personally I feel that enlightenment is the way to go. Decreasing the amount of stops by LE is always better. Worse comes to worse our permits one day read "License to conceal carry pistols and revolvers"

USAR-VET

I do have a concern though. This is a blue state. And too many idiots voted for an anti gun governor as well as a d-bag anti-gun attorney general.

Bringing OC into the spotlight might spur the a-holes in charge to try and make CT a concealed carry only state.

Andrew, the "people" in charge already know about open carry. Seeing someone OC'ing on the evening news won't change the way they may feel about it, BUT it will help inform those who don't know that OC is indeed LEGAL in CT, and that may prevent some of those dreaded MWAG calls you speak of. So I say go for it. Some of us here OC on an everyday basis. Very few of us have had problems partially due to the fact that LE in CT now have a better idea of the law due to people like Rich B. who have helped in that regard. I try to educate anyone I come in contact with who have questioned me about my OC'ing and I feel in my own little way that's helped also. Just be careful as there are "gun free zones" you need to be aware of such as Post Offices, Schools, Federal buildings, and most malls to name a few. Hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask any questions as were all in this together.

Ken

Andrew Malik

Andrew, the "people" in charge already know about open carry. Seeing someone OC'ing on the evening news won't change the way they may feel about it, BUT it will help inform those who don't know that OC is indeed LEGAL in CT, and that may prevent some of those dreaded MWAG calls you speak of. So I say go for it. Some of us here OC on an everyday basis. Very few of us have had problems partially due to the fact that LE in CT now have a better idea of the law due to people like Rich B. who have helped in that regard. I try to educate anyone I come in contact with who have questioned me about my OC'ing and I feel in my own little way that's helped also. Just be careful as there are "gun free zones" you need to be aware of such as Post Offices, Schools, Federal buildings, and most malls to name a few. Hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask any questions as were all in this together.

Ken

I was thinking about going to the station (unarmed, of course) and asking someone of authority if they and their officers are aware that OC is perfectly legal. Because this way, if they get a call of, "There's a long haired man carrying a gun, walking down the street", they will be able to tell them to calm down because it's perfectly legal. You know, instead of me getting stopped and questioned by police.

It's so stupid. The only reason why it might be remotely a breach of peace is that people aren't aware. They aren't aware so they freak out (seeing my gun is causing public distress). If the bulk of the citizenry knew it was legal there would be no vague interpretations of a breach of peace.

I'm seriously considering having someone from WTNH follow me down Campbell and down by the beach to Chick's. I get most of my news from the internet but I'm sure some exposure will help the cause.

KIX

Media exposure, I think is a bad idea in general.

When the public asks us, we can educate them with the laws.

My experience with the media on any gun issue has been more towards trying to derail their ideological nature.

I was on Channel 3 during the mag ban debate at the Legislative Office Building. I took time (and expense) to make sure that they didn't get sensational footage (dude in cammo, rapid firing at a silhouette target or terrorist target, etc). Which, it was obvious they thought they were going to get. I gave them several magazines as props, none were heavy 30 rounders. All were factory stock - so they all looked identical whether they had 10 or 17. In the end, this time, there was no sensationalism - which was a good thing.

I've seen other articles where it hasn't been so good once it got to the editing room floor. In fact, I've seen articles and tv pieces that were extremely against our position, talk to an ignorant police chief who doesn't support the laws a they are now and then finish off with 3 sentences of what the law is and why we exercise our rights.

At this time, and with my experience in the past as a Public Information Officer, I'm extremely leery of media in this state and our 2A rights.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Jonathan

Rich B

I've been licensed to carry since 1991. I might have the opportunity to get someone from WTNH to film me as I OC on Sunday as I walk down Campbell Ave and walk down the beach by Chick's.

The media in CT is not as unfamiliar with OC as people seem to think. If you get press coverage while OCing, that is not a bad thing, just please remember to make a positive impression.

I feel that being in the news, more people who are completely oblivious will finally know that OC is legal in this state. This will lead to fewer "man with a gun" calls to the dispatcher.

I agree. OC has been in the local news, the national news, local and national radio and other print for a while now. I would like to think this has helped, but OC has never been 'a big deal', honestly. OCing is usually a non-event as it should be.

I hear this one a lot, but I am not sure of its basis in reality. OCing has been going on in many states across the country, we are not the only one that is traditionally 'blue'. We have not seen OC pushed back anywhere yet, despite concerted efforts.

They have been trying this for years. Nothing has come of it. So far in this legislative session they haven't even bothered to try. If they were to do it, I believe it would be immediately challenged in court and would result in a lot of negative attention for the powers in charge.

Personally I feel that enlightenment is the way to go. Decreasing the amount of stops by LE is always better. Worse comes to worse our permits one day read "License to conceal carry pistols and revolvers"

I believe in enlightenment too. That is why I OC wherever I go and whenever I can. It is why I tell my story publicly to anyone who will listen. It is why I created a website to archive my stories and why I have been so open to the media about it.

If you want our rights to get stronger, you must exercise them.

Andrew Malik

After everything I've read about the Philly incident, the fewer people calling the cops on us, the better. The only way to reduce those incidents at any kind of speed is media exposure.

The vast majority of non permit holders do not know it's legal. Hell, I'm willing to bet some permit holders have no idea. If a bunch of those people see a news story on TV or in the paper that open carry is legal then those people aren't going to call the police when they see us open carrying. And that might become a water cooler discussion at work and that will spread it even further.

Again, I believe the goal should be the cruiser driving past you and not stopping.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Rich B

I was thinking about going to the station (unarmed, of course) and asking someone of authority if they and their officers are aware that OC is perfectly legal. Because this way, if they get a call of, "There's a long haired man carrying a gun, walking down the street", they will be able to tell them to calm down because it's perfectly legal. You know, instead of me getting stopped and questioned by police.

I abide by the idea "never ask permission for your rights". If you do this, I can guarantee you that you will have a negative interaction.

The only reason why it might be remotely a breach of peace is that people aren't aware. They aren't aware so they freak out (seeing my gun is causing public distress). If the bulk of the citizenry knew it was legal there would be no vague interpretations of a breach of peace.

It makes no difference if they do 'freak out'. That is still no breach of peace. Unless you had the intent to freak someone out. Having a firearm properly holstered is not 'intent' to cause that harm. Just like someone walking by someone smoking a cigarette in a place they are permitted to do so is not against the law.

I'm seriously considering having someone from WTNH follow me down Campbell and down by the beach to Chick's. I get most of my news from the internet but I'm sure some exposure will help the cause.

That is fine, but again, please know your stuff before doing so. You not knowing the laws 100% or just shouting on camera about 2nd amendment rights is not going to do us any good. The OC issue in CT is not about 2nd amendment rights really at this point. It is about 4th amendment rights. That is what needs to be put out to the media. If you would like help with this, I would be glad to assist with your first OC or media experiences while OCing.

My number: 203.208.9577

Andrew Malik

The media in CT is not as unfamiliar with OC as people seem to think. If you get press coverage while OCing, that is not a bad thing, just please remember to make a positive impression.

I agree. OC has been in the local news, the national news, local and national radio and other print for a while now. I would like to think this has helped, but OC has never been 'a big deal', honestly. OCing is usually a non-event as it should be.

I hear this one a lot, but I am not sure of its basis in reality. OCing has been going on in many states across the country, we are not the only one that is traditionally 'blue'. We have not seen OC pushed back anywhere yet, despite concerted efforts.

They have been trying this for years. Nothing has come of it. So far in this legislative session they haven't even bothered to try. If they were to do it, I believe it would be immediately challenged in court and would result in a lot of negative attention for the powers in charge.

I believe in enlightenment too. That is why I OC wherever I go and whenever I can. It is why I tell my story publicly to anyone who will listen. It is why I created a website to archive my stories and why I have been so open to the media about it.

If you want our rights to get stronger, you must exercise them.

Thanks for all the breakdown. It's just that I've never seen anyone OC-ing other than my friend Shawn who is a member here and I've been living here in CT for quite some time. And I've never seen antyhing in the local news or in the paper. But as I've admitted previously, I get most of my news from Fox and CNN.

I'm still going to ask my friend's contact at WTNH to see if they are even interested. Couldn't hurt.