• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing through Arizona...

The Annoyed Man

Sorry to revive an old thread..... This is my first post on this forum. My usual hangout is over at the TexasCHLforum.

I am a Texas resident and have been carrying under authority of a CHL for several years now. My wife (who also carries) and I are currently on a trip to California to take care of family business, and we drove through Arizona on the way out, and will be doing so again on the way home.

We'll be taking I-40 instead of I-10 because I enjoy the stopover in Flagstaff. On the way out, I CC'd both out of habit and out of not being certain about any off-limits areas specific to Flagstaff. It's kind of a hippie town, so I didn't know if there were specific places there I could not carry.

I know that Arizona has state preemption, but I am uncertain of whether or not you can OC with a public school nearby, and I'm not familiar enough with the city to know where the schools are located.

There is an off-leash dog park that we took our dog to last Saturday before we hit the road to L.A. It is located up the street from Santa Fe St, on I think it's called Thorpe St. It's at the foot of the hill you go up to get to the observatory. Anyway, the first time we went there the afternoon before, it was great, and the people were nice. But on Saturday morning there was a trio of dirtbag rastafarian wannabees hanging around there who were verbally abusive. One of them had the biggest dog in the park, an un-neutered huskie dog of some sort, and it was bullying all the other dogs, and the dirtbag owner refused to control his dog.

Anyway, I know that my CHL allows me to carry concealed near a public school, but I would like to try the convenience of open carrying, and I know that I'll be going back to this dog park. Can anyone tell me if there is any legal reason why I cannot open carry in this park in Flagstaff—such as the presence of a nearby public school or something?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I'll be passing back through there either the 30th or the 31st of May.

Regards,

TAM

azcdlfred

Anyway, I know that my CHL allows me to carry concealed near a public school, but I would like to try the convenience of open carrying, and I know that I'll be going back to this dog park. Can anyone tell me if there is any legal reason why I cannot open carry in this park in Flagstaff—such as the presence of a nearby public school or something?TAM
Under Federal law, your permit allows you to carry near a school. Arizona has no state equivalent of the Federal 1,000 foot rule.

Arizona recognizes all permits from all states.

You can carry open or discreetly, with or without your CHL in most places (there are few exceptions).

However, unlike Texas, if you carry where booze is sold for consumption (there is no requirement about food being served), you must have your CHL, you must carry discreetly (no open carry), you cannot consume alcohol, and the places you are entering cannot be posted "no firearms."

Others on this forum will chime in to help and correct anything I may have stated incorrectly.

When you get back to Texas, please support the Lone Star Citizens Defense League. They're trying to legalize open carry in Texas.

Fred

Last edited:

AZkopper

^^what Fred said.

AZ does not enforce the Fed GFSZ laws. Stay off school property and you're fine. Flagstaff is a little hippy, but I don't know anyone who's every had a real problem there.

Dahwg

Under Federal law, your permit allows you to carry near a school. Arizona has no state equivalent of the Federal 1,000 foot rule.

Arizona recognizes all permits from all states.

You can carry open or discreetly, with or without your CHL in most places (there are few exceptions).

However, unlike Texas, if you carry where booze is sold for consumption (there is no requirement about food being served), you must have your CHL, you must carry discreetly (no open carry), you cannot consume alcohol, and the places you are entering cannot be posted "no firearms."

Others on this forum will chime in to help and correct anything I may have stated incorrectly.

When you get back to Texas, please support the Lone Star Citizens Defense League. They're trying to legalize open carry in Texas.

Fred

Fred, I'm not sure I've ever seen you post anything incorrectly. In fact, because of your work on our behalf with AZCDL, there are few on this forum that know the law better than you do IMHO.