• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Farmer at Mickey D's!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I drove over to a combination gas station/convenience store/McDonalds today to get myself some lunch. Before going to the counter to place my order, I stopped at the Red Box to see about renting a DVD. As I was looking for new seletions, an older gentleman stopped on his way to the men's room and his eyes went to the XDm pistol holstered at my side.

"You carry a gun too?" he asked with wide eyes.
"Yes," I responded with a smile. "I most certainly do carry my weapon."
"Are you a cop? Or a farmer?"
"Nope. I am a law abiding citizen of Colorado and I take responsibility for my own safety." I answered.

During my conversation with him, I learned that he is a farmer from Julesburg and has been told by his local sheriff to arm himself after several crimes were committed on his property. He was surprised to learn that open carry is legal in Colorado, with the exception of Denver, but seemed delighted to see that some of us are willing to arm ourselves for our own defense. He told me how their part of the state has been overrun by illegal aliens and the crime rate out there has skyrocketed. After a couple of thefts from his land, and hearing from other farmers in his area who were also victimized, he contacted his local sheriff. The sheriff told him to arm himself and have everybody else he knows to do likewise. The sheriff told the farmer he was responsible to defend himself against crime. Evidently, the old guy was carrying a weapon concealed because I didn't see any firearms on him but his opening question led me to believe he had something.

He asked about my weapon and I told him it is a Springfield Armory XDm .40 cal and he asked if it was loaded. I explained that a weapon that isn't loaded wouldn't be much good when needed most. He asked if I had a round in the chamber. I told him I did.
"Aren't you worried about having an accidental firing?" he asked.
"Nope," I replied while pointing to safety features on my gun. "You can't fire this weapon without intent. You must grip the backplate well enough to depress this lever here, while at the same time, release the trigger safety by holding it down as you depress the trigger. It requires an intentional act."

The old man told me he had plenty of guns on his farm, but never saw anything like the pistol I carried. He had never heard of a .40 calibur handgun, much less one as "fancified" as mine.

We spent several minutes talking about the right of open carry, the need for law abiding citizens to arm themselves, the ultimate responsibility for each citizen to defend their own life, and how an armed citizen can make a difference when the police were minutes away.

"Imagine for a moment some bad guy coming into this McDonalds. It has happened elsewhere both in America and abroad." I told him. "If some felon came in here and started shooting, how long would it be before the cops showed up to stop him? Odds are, they'd mostly be doing an investigation after the fact. But if it happened while I was here, they'd face an armed citizen prepared to stop them in their tracks. That sort of thing, the possibility of encountering armed resistence, is what criminals fear most."

The farmer's wife, sitting at a table nearby, heard the exchange and nodded at various points I made while smiling at me the whole time. When the farmer showed me the business card from his sheriff and repeated that the sheriff told the man to arm himself, I smiled broadly and told him his sheriff is right on every count and his advice should be heeded. "Just stay clear of Denver when carrying a weapon," I told him. "Unless you have a concealed carry permit, that is."

The old farmer and his wife left and I returned to the Red Box to select a movie feeling as though I'd done OC some good. That old couple learned something new, and hearing a citizen praise the advice their sheriff gave them seemed to bolster them in some way. I felt that the old guy was doubtful of the advice he'd gotten from his local sheriff. After meeting me, I suspect he will view that advice in a whole new light.

Goes to show ya, we never know when we might have a positive influence on others around us. Plus, with my radio voice, I'm pretty sure others nearby may have learned something new as well. The more citizens armed and ready to defend themselves in Colorado, the fewer felons will set upon law abiding citizens. It is the sort of quid-pro-quo that felons would rather avoid, especially when delievered at higher caliburs.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RandallFlagg

I'm bad. But sometimes I go to the gun shops around here just to talk guns with folks.
How do you like the XDM? I've been looking at that one for about a week now as a backup to my Beretta 92FS.

MKEgal

Wow. I want a Sheriff like that. Heck, I want a police chief like that (since I live in a city).

And you mean to tell us that other customers didn't run screaming in terror at the sight of your evil pistol, ready to jump out of its holster & slaughter everyone in range? :rolleyes:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The farmer's wife, sitting at a table nearby, heard the exchange and nodded at various points I made while smiling at me the whole time. When the farmer showed me the business card from his sheriff and repeated that the sheriff told the man to arm himself, I smiled broadly and told him his sheriff is right on every count and his advice should be heeded. "Just stay clear of Denver when carrying a weapon," I told him. "Unless you have a concealed carry permit, that is."

Dang. You're both hitting on the fact that our local sheriff (or I suspect sheriff's representative) is endorsing the fact the vast majority of our citizens are both sane and capable of carrying a firearm (when did that ever change since around 1492?), while at the same time steering you clear of Denver (city/county), tells me this gentleman gets it.

I know Sheriff Terry Makita well enough to know he's fully versed as to the statistics of crime here in El Paso County. I also know his background well enough to know he realizes, statistically speaking, the more honest, law-abiding citizens openly carry, the further crime will decline. Additionally, I know he supports concealed carry, as there are many situations where OC here would raise undue alarm and thereby reduce carry of any kind, yet if he liberally allows CC, as warranted under the laws of the state of Colorado, he has, by all measures above, armed a law-abiding populace in a manner which is adept at deterring crime, and if such crime is not deterred, then at least well-armed to fight whatever crime comes to our streets.

Push come to shove, it's not a matter that we're out on patrol. It's a matter that we're concerned citizens, we've taken the steps to properly educate and arm ourselves, and that should push come to shove with respect to crime, we will push back.

Hard. Lawfully, but hard.

Ilikesa

*applause* Good job out there! OC is good for advertising to other citizens their rights, and our own!

Orion

I'm bad. But sometimes I go to the gun shops around here just to talk guns with folks.
How do you like the XDM? I've been looking at that one for about a week now as a backup to my Beretta 92FS.

I can't speak for M-Taliesin, but I too own an XDm 40 and I absolutely love it. Of the guns that I have it is the one that I am most accurate with, and was right from the first time I shot it. It feels comfortable in the hand, and rides well on my hip.

If you have a range near you that rents pistols I would recommend you shoot one and see how it feels to you. I was looking for a more compact and lighter carry weapon and shot a 1/2 dozen guns before I settled on this. This was number 4, and I could have stopped there because I just knew that this was gonna be the one I ended up with.

Good luck to you and good shooting!

RandallFlagg

I can't speak for M-Taliesin, but I too own an XDm 40 and I absolutely love it. Of the guns that I have it is the one that I am most accurate with, and was right from the first time I shot it. It feels comfortable in the hand, and rides well on my hip.

If you have a range near you that rents pistols I would recommend you shoot one and see how it feels to you. I was looking for a more compact and lighter carry weapon and shot a 1/2 dozen guns before I settled on this. This was number 4, and I could have stopped there because I just knew that this was gonna be the one I ended up with.

Good luck to you and good shooting!

I just got myself a gold membership at a range who also deals in FFL transfers. Where would you recommend for a good site online for purchase of the XDM 40?

I really like the 40 because it's a bit bigger than my Beretta 92FS, and I won't lose magazine capacity. I'm holding off on an AR purchase for this pistol.