• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC encounter OOB PD.

carry for myself

So i work in OOB. carry all day at work. to-from-to ect.

was walking on West Grand from one resort to the other, OCing my S&W 6904, strongside in a black leather beltslide. spare mag on my left. Also carrying Hedge Clippers and a trowel.

get around the Barritz motel and hear the chirp of a patrol car behind me. i stop. an officer steps out, walks up to me and says *following convo*

Officer: is that a gun?
Me: yep sure is
Officer: is it real?
Me: would be kind of stupid if it were wood eh?
Officer: HAHA yeah i guess it would. is it a smith and wesson?
Me: yep, 6904 9mm
Officer : NO WAY!
Me: yep sure is
Officer: we were issued those from 1993-2001 when we transitioned to Glocks, never thought i would see one again.
Me: kinda hard to find these days
Officer: whered ya get it?
Me: KTP. $295 +tax with 2 mags.
Officer: nice deal. mind if i check your ID? see if you are a terrorist or from canada? haha

after the cordial convo on my S&W i decided to let him check my ID, NTM im at work and did not want to protest on company time.

checks my id , comes back good. shakes my hand and says

"dont let me catch you with anything fake without an orange tip, OC is legal, but we dont like airsoft much" smiles and is on his way.

I have decided i like OOB PD. Seem to be up to date on the laws and have no issues with OC +1 for them :monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I fully understand the cooperative attitude with Officer Friendly. Still it rankles me greatly that there is no RAS to stop and ID check you and yet they do - managing to turn it into a consensual thing.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with grapeshot. Although it was a great encounter and OOB PD has obviously been re-trained on the simple fact that OC is legal since Boyscouts incident, the fact remains that they shouldn't stop you for any reason whatsoever. OC is not a legal reason to stop someone or even ask for Identification.

crdonov

I agree with grapeshot. Although it was a great encounter and OOB PD has obviously been re-trained on the simple fact that OC is legal since Boyscouts incident, the fact remains that they shouldn't stop you for any reason whatsoever. OC is not a legal reason to stop someone or even ask for Identification.

right on!!!

xd-over

boyscout399

Perfect police work. At no time was he detained. It was a purely consensual encounter. I probably would have let him see my ID as well once he had built the repore with me.

Remember, a police officer can initiate a consensual encounter with anyone for no reason whatsoever. Carry for Myself was free to leave at any time and chose to stay as I probably would have as well if I had a cop basically "talking shop" with me.

Well done Carry for Myself.

boyscout399

They didn't stop him though, he was free to go at any time, they merely asked him a question which he chose to reply to. This is how police work is supposed to be conducted and I applaud OOB PD for their manner of investigation.

sharkey

He kept saying "Eh" so it was probable that he was an illegal alien from Canada. :p

boyscout399

:confused: I am very confused. Exactly WHAT was there to investigate? Exactly WHY are we applauding the police for investigating a law abiding person walking down the street regardless of how polite they are during the investigation?

The officer wanted to check and see if there was any outstanding warrants or bail conditions. He can do that to ANY person walking anywhere with no suspicion of anything as long as it's in the form of a request and the person requested is free to refuse the request and leave if they so choose. No detainment occurred. It was a friendly conversation which both parties chose to partake in.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The officer wanted to check and see if there was any outstanding warrants or bail conditions. He can do that to ANY person walking anywhere with no suspicion of anything as long as it's in the form of a request and the person requested is free to refuse the request and leave if they so choose. No detainment occurred. It was a friendly conversation which both parties chose to partake in.

Understand consensual conversations. Do not understand harassment even when done in a friendly manner.

Ask yourself this question. Would he have been stopped and checked if he had not been carrying a gun? The point is not whether the OCer or the LEO have a right to engage in such conversation.

Badger Johnson

I still don't understand why LEOs want to stop an old guy walking his dog and question him. They should be giving thumbs up and tipping their hat. The old dude is not an alpha male challenger, he is probably more experienced than the LEO and possibly a veteran.

It's just a colossal waste of time that could be better spent exercising the donut hook maneuver. :)

Making the person mess with their gun is an invitation to a ND as well. I'd like LEOs to USE the common sense that years on the job gives them and support the constitution which they vow to uphold and support.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Officer: nice deal. mind if i check your ID? see if you are a terrorist or from canada? haha

after the cordial convo on my S&W i decided to let him check my ID, NTM im at work and did not want to protest on company time.

checks my id , comes back good. shakes my hand and says

aaaarghhhh. God I hate this, but he was so nice when he asked, I couldn't say no. I wish all the girls I was nice too had felt the same...

Nice has nothing to do with this other than it's a strategy. His whole goal was to soften you up to get you to comply with his REQUEST.

It's this passive ignorant compliance that has lead us where we are in regards to the ever growing powers of LE.

cllmecrazy

strategy

aaaarghhhh. God I hate this, but he was so nice when he asked, I couldn't say no. I wish all the girls I was nice too had felt the same...

Nice has nothing to do with this other than it's a strategy. His whole goal was to soften you up to get you to comply with his REQUEST.

It's this passive ignorant compliance that has lead us where we are in regards to the ever growing powers of LE.

A strategy is a strategy. A job is a job. No, he probably wouldn't have stopped him if he wasn't carrying. Was it bad form to stop him? A little, yeah. However, if there is someone walking down the street Open Carrying with shears looking tired from a hard day at work in the heat...who is to say he isn't super angry about something about wants to go confront his boss? Yes, people who OC basically are law abiding people. But eventually the wrong people will catch on and OC because they think they'll be pegged as a decent guy and will avoid anything other than a 'hey, what's up, that's a great firearm, mind if I check your ID?'

He has a right to ask what's up and to see your ID...We have the right to say no and walk away. I don't see it as ignorance that we comply with the police when we don't have to. It's better to be comfortable and friendly than rude just because you know you don't have to comply. You going to blow by that car on the side street that you saw waiting for 5 minutes to get out or you going to let them out in front of you? It's your right to do either...ignorance has nothing to do with it.

carry for myself

No. was totally my CHOICE to give him my ID. my CHOICE to even stop walking, or admit he was there. however i was on the clock , at work *which chooses* to allow to me to carry at work, and chooses even more to allow me to do it openly.

i could have Chosen to ignore him, and chosen to pick a battle and not show ID. he asked, did not demand. as same as i allowed and did not refuse.

my reasoning was i was at work, and choosing a battle at work would have been bad for my job. now if he had demanded ID and FORCEFULLY stopped me, i would have said no, as i have many times.

OC is legal but we all know it is a battle and an UP HILL one......we all choose our own battles, i chose to not battle and to cooperate with the soul purpose of gaining LEO relations and keeping my job.

he was doing his job, i was respecting mine. that simple. i hold no anger, or judgement on him for doing what he did. as he held no judgement on me for my choice to carry.

if we fight every cop that stops us they will never respect us, and if every citizen sees us arguing and disrespecting officers....they will all fear us.

chose your battles. and only put up a fight when needed. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No. was totally my CHOICE to give him my ID. my CHOICE to even stop walking, or admit he was there. however i was on the clock , at work *which chooses* to allow to me to carry at work, and chooses even more to allow me to do it openly.

i could have Chosen to ignore him, and chosen to pick a battle and not show ID. he asked, did not demand. as same as i allowed and did not refuse.

my reasoning was i was at work, and choosing a battle at work would have been bad for my job. now if he had demanded ID and FORCEFULLY stopped me, i would have said no, as i have many times.

OC is legal but we all know it is a battle and an UP HILL one......we all choose our own battles, i chose to not battle and to cooperate with the soul purpose of gaining LEO relations and keeping my job.

he was doing his job, i was respecting mine. that simple. i hold no anger, or judgement on him for doing what he did. as he held no judgement on me for my choice to carry.

if we fight every cop that stops us they will never respect us, and if every citizen sees us arguing and disrespecting officers....they will all fear us.

Indeed choose your battles wisely. Same advice comes from User, our number one, go to, favorite attorney in this part of the country. Practicality is sometimes the very best option. With your circumstances, you made the best decision for yourself.

Blk97F150

They didn't stop him though, he was free to go at any time, they merely asked him a question which he chose to reply to. This is how police work is supposed to be conducted and I applaud OOB PD for their manner of investigation.

How do you know that "he was free to go at any time", if that was never asked.. or leaving was never attempted?

boyscout399

And as long as it remains a free choice, I support anything the officers choose. That's the glory of our nation. The officer is free to ask just as much as the citizen is free to cooperate or refuse.

boyscout399

How do you know that "he was free to go at any time", if that was never asked.. or leaving was never attempted?

That he was free to go was implied by the manner of the officer's questions and demeanor. If at any point it is made clear that he is NOT free to go, then a detainment has occurred and the officer would at that time need RAS. If the subject makes no attempt to leave and the officer makes no attempt to force the person to remain, then it's implied that the person was able to leave if he chose to.

carry for myself

That he was free to go was implied by the manner of the officer's questions and demeanor. If at any point it is made clear that he is NOT free to go, then a detainment has occurred and the officer would at that time need RAS. If the subject makes no attempt to leave and the officer makes no attempt to force the person to remain, then it's implied that the person was able to leave if he chose to.

exactly. he never stated to me "your being detained" or "your not going anywhere" from the first word out of his mouth, he was friendly, polite and spoke to me as just another guy, not a criminal or a suspect. i know i was free to leave because he never attempted to bar me, i even rested my hand on my weapon as i leaned against a telephone poll much as he was doing, he didnt even skip a beat or seem nervous at all. felt like a friendly chat to me.

now if he had approached me saying "you there, dont move, lets see some ID". i would have asserted my rights and put up a struggle. but as i said i chose my battle. which i do every time im stopped, lots of variables govern how i react. and this one needed no reaction :)