• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jefferson Co. (Louisville) Sheriff Advertise False Restrictions on CCDW

jackjack

The Jefferson County Sheriff States in their CCDW brochure that weapons cannot be be carried in places of worship. :confused: You can find exact wording here:

http://www.jcsoky.org/PDF/CCDW_Brochure.pdf

:question: I can't find any law supporting this in Kentucky. Is this a violation of KRS 65.870 that says no city, town, county, or other municipality can restrict your right to keep and bear arms more than the state?

The Kentucky restrictions on concealed carry can be found here:
http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

CharleyCherokee

That propaganda piece also incorrectly states that the fine for not carrying your permit is $25 plus court costs. The statue explicitly prohibits court costs.

langzaiguy

I thought the law stated that you COULD be fined $25 if you were concealing a gun and were unable to produce your CCDW.

jackjack

Thanks for the post, and hope to update tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone posting advice. Sorry for the slow response. I've been sitting in the hospital the past few days with my dear grandmother.

Today is a holiday, but I will call tomorrow an notify the sheriff's office with a friendly phone call notifying the situation. Hopefully, I am jumping to conclusions and this just an old brochure unknowingly inaccurate.

Mr. Redneck, thanks for your obvious advice. Simple solutions are sometimes elusive when we expect such a struggle. It's a fault of my own to expect the worst.

CharleyCherokee, I've read some of your postings about your struggle with the park "laws." Kudos to you for being a patriot. Your story gave me inspiration to change the problems instead of complying with a false regulation and such.

Gutshot, thanks for posting the law and the positive attitude. Maybe, they will be glad to hear about the error. :dude: Let's hope so.

Langsaiguy, thanks for the post. Let's hope that Jeff. Co. is not charging court costs.

I will keep everyone posted as soon as I call tomorrow afternoon. Have a save and happy holiday. Do something you enjoy doing today! :monkey

jackjack

Made the call on 6/3/2011.

It has taken me longer than anticipated to make the telephone call. However, today I called the sheriff's office. I talked to man named Paul at the CCDW desk.

He was polite and willing to hear about the "inaccurate and possibly just outdated information that is listed on the website and brochure." :) I informed him of the errors about the restrictions of places of worship and the court costs. His response was short, and he stated, "I'll make sure get this information passed on."

Now, I have made the initial step of reconciling the situation.

What would be the next step if this remains publicly posted:question:

I'm expecting my KSP CCDW approval to come in the mail sometime soon. :banana: When it does, I'll go in the office that I called to pick up my CCDW license. I'm guessing it would take even longer, pending action on the issue, to remove it from the website.

jackjack

Update

Today I went and got my concealed weapons permit. :cool:

I talked to the lady at the counter and brought up the issue about the brochure having incorrect information. She immediately knew about the issue and pointed to the memo on her desk. I asked her about what kind of action planned on being taken. Her response was that they were aware of the problem, and it would be updated when the scheduled updates occur.

I didn't press much further being surprised at the seemingly welcomed input. So, it looks like the wheels are turning. I'll be watch dogging this brochure and the site to see if it changes. As soon as I see it changed I will notify you all. I'm not sure what else to do but wait and see.