• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd idea and a question

Difdi

I'm sure someone has asked something like this somewhere on Earth before, but I can't find it.

How does the law (WA, federal) handle high power airguns? Some years back, I was playing with an old paintball gun (adding parts, messing with pressure levels, etc), and managed to penetrate a 2x4 with a ball bearing (clean through, albeit with lots of splinters). A .68 caliber revolver would be freaking huge, and monstrously heavy, but there's no reason you couldn't make one throw heavy roundshot or buckshot.

How does something like that mesh with state and federal laws though? It's not a firearm, though it's clearly a dangerous weapon.

amlevin

There is truth to your statement that Air Rifles are Dangerous Weapons.

For those that think that of merely that Daily "Red Ryder" BB Gun, or the pump type air gun that you use to run off the neighbors cat, think again. They make some serious Air Rifles now. Up to .50 Caliber models that throw a slug well over 200 grains. Speeds are slow and are more in the "slow" .45acp range but definitely lethal. Hunters use them to take down hogs in the 50-75 yard range. Smaller calibers are seeing speeds in the 1400fps range.

So far in WA, they are only regulated by local government. Funny thing is that Air Guns in Wa State fall under the Child Safety statute in RCW's. Most ordinances make it illegal to use an air rifle anywhere but on the owner's property.

Sale or possession of air guns are usually unregulated in most U.S. States. A few U.S. states and municipalities restrict or prohibit air gun sales or possession in some manner, including: San Francisco, New York, New York; Camden and Newark in New Jersey; Johnson City, Tennessee; Chicago and Morton Grove in Illinois, and the states of New Jersey, Illinois; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and State of Michigan. Additionally, ordinances in many cities prohibit the discharge of air guns outdoors outside of an approved range.