• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am in California and...

Beretta92FSLady

It has finally hit me - Being without my sidearm next to me this last week is finally starting to depress the hell out of me. I have OC most of the time, and CC sometimes for a number of years.

To be honest I didn't realize just how difficult this would be. I think living in California is going to just take an adjustment.

I do at times feel as though there is something unAmerican (I hate that term) about being restricted from carrying.

Beretta92FSLady

how about some details?
where, why, when, how long?
why didnt you bring a gun and 10rds mags?

I sold some of my firearms that I was unsure of as far as California legal. I did bring our handguns, and a couple of rifles that are California legal.

CC Utah, and Washington permits aren't worth crap now :(

Sold all of the 11+ rd. magazines.

We are likely going to be living here. Unless we get a chance to go back to Seattle. For the time being, we will be here.

1245A Defender

well,,,

you NEED to get yourself one of these, harbor freight, 13 bucks, then
rig some book bag like straps, and some velcro.
you can carry it closed with velcro, for quick access, Or you can combination lock it!

this is what you Need in california for protection against the dreaded 626.9

029.jpg

Last edited:

silver

Im no expert, but i believe in CA law u can OC...but obviously the ridiculous 10 rnd magazine law is there, and you are not allowed to have it loaded, nothing in the gun, nothing in the chamber. not sure if you have to have an empty magazine in the gun tho. also you can expect to be hassled by police, my understanding is you have to allow the popo to "c" check (clear check, i believe thats the terminology used), but you do not have to provide identification.

so get some ( meaning 120000) 10 rnd mags for that 92FS of yours, and carry at least 3 of them with your partially disabled pistol on the other side. happy hunting:(

END_THE_FED

Im no expert, but i believe in CA law u can OC...but obviously the ridiculous 10 rnd magazine law is there, and you are not allowed to have it loaded, nothing in the gun, nothing in the chamber. not sure if you have to have an empty magazine in the gun tho..........

I think you can have the empty mag in the gun. I heard that you cant carry the magazines in your pocket. They have to be open carry, but if you have a revolver you can conceal speed loaders.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

never knew where you were in utah, but
where are you now in california,? it matters!

id like to visit my aunt in LA, i will bring guns..
i would like to visit the leading figures in the 2A
protection battle down there.

silver

I think you can have the empty mag in the gun. I heard that you cant carry the magazines in your pocket. They have to be open carry, but if you have a revolver you can conceal speed loaders.

I know you can...what i meant is that i personally would not if it was not required. heres my reasoning: if you need your gun, you have to load it, and since the slide is most likely closed you would have to load it and rack the slide in order to chamber a round. i would leave the magazine out if i could because it adds an extra step to bringing your firearm into commission
w/mag
1 draw 2 drop mag/safetys off if there are any 3 insert full mag 4 rack slide 5present

w/ no mag
1 draw 2 insert/ safety (hopefully you can do so simultaneously) 3 rack 4 present

id rather save the time, yes even if it is a minimal amount id rather save it, and id practice endlessly either way with mags full of snap-caps

irish52084

So glad I never have to go back to California again. I disliked it before I even knew they had crazy gun laws. I couldn't stand it as a kid when we'd go see my cousins in the summer. I went back to LA for a few days in my early 20's and I vowed I'd never come back. That's saying a lot, because I've spent time in D.C., Baltimore, Detroit and Dallas and I'd never go back to those places either.

VW_Factor

You do realize that California's "safe handgun list" does not apply to handguns you bring into California with you when you move? 11+ round magazine prohibition does apply, but you can dissassemble and store them disasassembled until such time as you move back into America.

Most "assault weapons" can be modified in some way to make them California legal. Of course all of that is too late now.

+1

My parents used to live in California. They acquired much of their "armory" while living there. While the "bearing" arms is difficult, owning them in California is not as bad as some make it out to be..

I would never live there again for any reason however.

Beretta92FSLady

You do realize that California's "safe handgun list" does not apply to handguns you bring into California with you when you move? 11+ round magazine prohibition does apply, but you can dissassemble and store them disasassembled until such time as you move back into America.

Most "assault weapons" can be modified in some way to make them California legal. Of course all of that is too late now.

I dismantled my 11+ magazines. The 32 rd. magazines I sold, because I was unsure about whether dismantling them applied the same as dismantling 15 rd. magazines.

Most of my issue is the OC/CC issue. HUGE adjustment.

END_THE_FED

I have heard that there are a few Counties that give CC permits as long as you pass the background checks and stuff. You might want to ask around in the California Forum.

If I remember correctly the State allows unloaded open carry and has a "Sate Preemption" statute; municipalities can only regulate loaded carry.