Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Fairfax County

Open Carry in Fairfax County

This thread is to share my experiences of Open Carry throughout various establishments in the Fairfax County area.

Ate dinner tonight at Red Robin in the Fairlakes Shopping Center, Fairfax VA 22033.

Had no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderRey View Post
    This thread is to share my experiences of Open Carry throughout various establishments in the Fairfax County area.
    You do realize that Fairfax is generally considered part of NoVA, right?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Carry-in-NoVA

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Thats what THIS thread is for? for YOU with your FIVE posts to share your experieces with us? That's pretty one sided for a message board.

This thread was not good enough for your purpose?

Welcome to the forum.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I did see that earlier and posted in that thread. NoVa is a pretty big region.

I thought I would create one more focused to a County.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    You do realize that Fairfax is generally considered part of NoVA, right?

That's a Rhetorical question right?

Welcome to the site - I'm a resident of Centreville as well, (closer to Fair Lakes/Fairfax actually)
    Last edited by CHILINVLN; 05-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.

That's a Rhetorical question right?
    You figured that out.... but missed the NOVA thread?

(just kidding with you... doesn't matter to me what thread you use, but the established NOVA thread is definitely more active. Welcome to the forum.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    You figured that out.... but missed the NOVA thread?

(just kidding with you... doesn't matter to me what thread you use, but the established NOVA thread is definitely more active. Welcome to the forum.)
    I didn't missed the NoVa thread since I posted in there BEFORE I created this thread.

Indeed the NoVa thread is more active, but there are at least 165 pages to read through. Now if you are fortunate enough to have lots of free time, then good for you. (I'm jealous ) I unfortunately do not.
    (Maybe I will when I win the lottery Woot ! Woot !)

The Nova thread has lots of stories and great information to share about laws and what can or cannot do. Lots of information indeed, but I wanted something more focused on Open Carry "experiences" in the area I live in. Some may feel that the NoVa thread is that. However, as you can see by the link below. NoVa, which stands for Northern Virginia, is still fairly big.

http://www.nationalrealty.biz/map/north-virginia.htm

Now it's great if someone from "NoVa, Loudon County, Purceville" shared a story, but the chances of me being in that area is slim to none. I originally was going to start a thread focused on Centreville, but then decided to include all the areas that I frequently hit. Places within Fairfax County.

Fairfax County includes the following cities.

Alexandria
    Annandale
    Bailey's Crossroads
    Centreville
    Chantilly
    Clifton
    Dranesville
    Dunn Loring
    Fairfax City
    Falls Church
    Franconia
    Great Falls
    Huntington
    Indian springs
    Jefferson
    Lorton
    McLean
    Merrifield
    Mount Vernon
    Newington
    Springfield
    Oakton
    Pender
    Reston
    Seven Corners
    Shady Oak
    Tysons Corner
    Vienna

I'm sure I may have missed a few cities or possibly added a wrong one, but everyone should get the idea.

I never intended to disrepect or anger the Moderator Gods of this forum, but at the same time I felt this thread specific to Fairfax County would be more useful to the people that live in the same county as me. Only posting "experiences" of Open Carry. If I had a question about anything else, I would post in the NoVa thread. If someone posted a question about something else not related to an open carry "experience", then I redirect them to the NoVa thread.

Then again, this is your forum, so if you Moderators want me to delete it. I will with no hard feelings and will post elswhere. I'm just a normal CCW Virginian like everyone else.

I'm just a normal CCW Virginian like everyone else.
    Virginia does not issue CCW's. So you are not like everyone else.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Virginia does not issue CCW's. So you are not like everyone else.
    My apologies. I didn't know that it was that strict in here on how you state your words.

I will retract my earlier comment and submit the following.

I'm just a normal citizen that has a legally issued "Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permit" by the Fairfax County Courthouse like everyone else that also owns such a permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads...v_7-1-2010.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CHILINVLN View Post
    Welcome to the site - I'm a resident of Centreville as well, (closer to Fair Lakes/Fairfax actually)
    Howdy neighbor - Hi Five !

My apologies.
    The 165+pgs of the NoVA thread is required reading!

Everyone is just busting your chops!!!

Use this thread or that thread I don't think anyone will really care, just the NoVA pg will get more views and hopefully connect you with others in your area.

As a former NoVA resident (Herndon, Centreville and Bristow) I found the NoVA and Prince Willan Co threads helpful.
    Please look for OC get togethers in your area and join in, OC, CC and/or no carry is fine just besure to introduce yourself and bring lots of money as the new guys buys the first round of soda water.

For awhile there were 5-10 active OC'ers from the Centreville area that posted in the NoVA thread, they might still read but they don't seem to post anymore.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-26-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: why not
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    The 165+pgs of the NoVA thread is required reading!
    Use this thread or that thread I don't think anyone will really cares, just the NoVA pg will get more views and hopefully connect you with others in your area.

As a former NoVA resident (Herndon, Centreville and Bristow) I found the NoVA and Prince Willan Co threads helpful.
    Please look for OC get togethers in your area and join in, OC, CC and/or no carry is fine just besure to introduce yourself and bring lots of money as the new guys buys the first round of soda water.
    Thanks for the info! I will look into OC get togethers for my area.

lol

Just to clairify... I am not a Mod here, and I don't know if anyone who has replied to you is either (maybe they are... I have no idea).

Post here, post there, post anywhere...

Welcome, and enjoy the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Founder's Club Member
    Hey, what's with new CCer on our OC board?

And, starting his own thread!?!? What's up with that!?!

Welcome aboard!

(Secretly, I'm a little envious. I've long wanted to start my own OC thread--so you all could focus your attention on my innate wonderfulness, rather than dig through the other thread in order to admire me. )
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-26-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Howdy neighbor - Hi Five !
    I'm in Centreville as well. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    I'm in Centreville as well. Welcome.
    Thanks neighbor !
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. "

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

Tonight I went to Target, Fair Lakes Shopping Ctr Fairfax, VA 22033.

No problems at all. No comments or gawking. I believe one of the shift managers offered me to hang out in their food court to avoid the thunderstorm.

Afterwards, I went to Home Depot, Price Club Plaza Fairfax, VA 22030.

I had one group of men staring as I walked back and forth looking for an air filter. While picking up a can of WD-40, 2 guys walked past and blurted out, " WOAH ! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? A gun at Home Depot?? " Other than that, no issues with the staff of Home Depot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Founder's Club Member
    Sounds like you're fearlessly diving in headfirst. Great!

I've seen reports that Target has an anti-gun policy, but can't remember if maybe that changed later.

Do you have a voice-recorder for use in case of a police encounter?

And, you're up to speed on places where carry is statutorily prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Sounds like you're fearlessly diving in headfirst. Great!

I've seen reports that Target has an anti-gun policy, but can't remember if maybe that changed later.

Do you have a voice-recorder for use in case of a police encounter?

And, you're up to speed on places where carry is statutorily prohibited?

Hmmmm ... I may have to invest in a voice recorder. Thanks for the great tip !

As for being up to date where places are prohibited. I do try and research FIRST and plan ahead before I open carry at various spots. I'm not that gutsy where I will just randomly walk into an establishment. So hopefully I can avoid any nasty confrontations. <fingers crossed>

As for being up to date where places are prohibited.
    S.A.2S.E. to:
    Eds OC Cards
    Box 16143
    Wash DC 20041-6143
    Last edited by ed; 05-27-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP Thanks for the great tip !
    You're welcome.

I'm curious, what's your plan if approached by police?

If they ask you a few questions to satisfy themselves that you're not, you know, bad guy or nut case?

If they ask to see your ID so they can run your name in their data base to check to make sure you're not a felon in possession of a gun?

My apologies. I didn't know that it was that strict in here on how you state your words.

I will retract my earlier comment and submit the following.

I'm just a normal citizen that has a legally issued "Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permit" by the Fairfax County Courthouse like everyone else that also owns such a permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads...v_7-1-2010.pdf
    There are also those here that don't feel it necessary to get a Government-Issued Permission Slip (CHP) to carry a pistol for self-defense. I'm actually suprised one of "THEM" hasn't given you their $.02 worth yet.

One of the "missions" of the "Open Carry Movement" is to normalize Open Carry and desensitize those poor folks suffering from hoplophobia. Hiding your pistol may have some tactical advantages, but some of us enjoy making the unspoken political statement and educating the public at the same time. You meet some of the nicest people when you carry a pretty gun... :-)

I've lost track of how many people come up to me and ask how I like my pistol by "make and model".
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast