• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Fairfax County

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like you're fearlessly diving in headfirst. Great!

I've seen reports that Target has an anti-gun policy, but can't remember if maybe that changed later.

Do you have a voice-recorder for use in case of a police encounter?

And, you're up to speed on places where carry is statutorily prohibited?

RaiderRey

Sounds like you're fearlessly diving in headfirst. Great!

I've seen reports that Target has an anti-gun policy, but can't remember if maybe that changed later.

Do you have a voice-recorder for use in case of a police encounter?

And, you're up to speed on places where carry is statutorily prohibited?

Hmmmm ... I may have to invest in a voice recorder. Thanks for the great tip !

As for being up to date where places are prohibited. I do try and research FIRST and plan ahead before I open carry at various spots. I'm not that gutsy where I will just randomly walk into an establishment. So hopefully I can avoid any nasty confrontations. <fingers crossed>

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Thanks for the great tip !

You're welcome.

I'm curious, what's your plan if approached by police?

If they ask you a few questions to satisfy themselves that you're not, you know, bad guy or nut case?

If they ask to see your ID so they can run your name in their data base to check to make sure you're not a felon in possession of a gun?

MSC 45ACP

My apologies. I didn't know that it was that strict in here on how you state your words.

I will retract my earlier comment and submit the following.

I'm just a normal citizen that has a legally issued "Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permit" by the Fairfax County Courthouse like everyone else that also owns such a permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2010.pdf

There are also those here that don't feel it necessary to get a Government-Issued Permission Slip (CHP) to carry a pistol for self-defense. I'm actually suprised one of "THEM" hasn't given you their $.02 worth yet.

One of the "missions" of the "Open Carry Movement" is to normalize Open Carry and desensitize those poor folks suffering from hoplophobia. Hiding your pistol may have some tactical advantages, but some of us enjoy making the unspoken political statement and educating the public at the same time. You meet some of the nicest people when you carry a pretty gun... :)

I've lost track of how many people come up to me and ask how I like my pistol by "make and model".

RaiderRey

You're welcome.

I'm curious, what's your plan if approached by police?

If they ask you a few questions to satisfy themselves that you're not, you know, bad guy or nut case?

If they ask to see your ID so they can run your name in their data base to check to make sure you're not a felon in possession of a gun?

I'm still debating on how I would respond. Just from reading the forums and other websites, I've seen some that do give up their ID and others that do not. The last thing I want to do is frustrate a LE, but at the same time, I don't want to entertain their pleasure of harassing me either. If I do end up in conversation, then I'll make sure to get the name and badge #.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:confused::uhoh:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I'm still debating on how I would respond. Just from reading the forums and other websites, I've seen some that do give up their ID and others that do not. The last thing I want to do is frustrate a LE, but at the same time, I don't want to entertain their pleasure of harassing me either. If I do end up in conversation, then I'll make sure to get the name and badge #.

I'm also a Fairfax County resident and am usually OCing whenever I am out and about.

Based on conversations, threads and articles I have read, I have started carrying "sterile;" that is, my government-issued ID (Driver's license) stays in the car. That way, if I *am* ever approached by law enforcement and asked for or demanded to provide "ID," I can honestly say that I do not have ID on me.

I'm assuming that you have read up on the various cases that dictate when a law enforcement stop is consensual and when it is a detainment, and what your rights are in each situation.

Do get a stack of Ed's cards ... not only to use to educate those who may question your openly carrying, but also as a very quick and concise reference as to where you may -- and may not -- legally carry.

MSC 45ACP

James, I have also done a bit of "Sterile Carry" (SC) recently. I just have to remember to carry ID and CHP when I also carry a BUG. Sterile carry is a good idea as long as you are SURE your area doesn't have a "Stop & ID" ordnance. When I do decide to SC, I carry some of Ed's OC Cards and my own business cards that have my e-mail and cell number on them, but not my home address.

As I understand our local laws, if an LEO asks for "info", you can give him your Legal name and complete address verbally without having to show ID. From what I've read here, I believe this to be correct. No problems so far. If you're a pedestrian and the LEo hasn't observed you operating a motor vehicle, then he has no right to see your motor vehicle operators license. You could also carry military or other ID that doesn't show your address.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

First, ya gotta know your rights before you can exercise them.

Below are linked some videos to watch that make a good fast introduction.*

Another important point is to separate rights and law (statutes and court opinions) from police encounter tactics. Tactics are how you apply rights and law. Law does not automatically translate into tactics. Among other things, tactics also need to take into account that some police lie, plant evidence, twist the law, ignore the law, and can get away with violating rights to a certain degree, etc. Meaning, they're not all Boy Scouts. And, your police encounter tactics need to take this into account.

With regard to identity demands from cops, there are a few local jurisdictions that seriously penalize refusing to identify yourself to a cop under certain circumstances. The trouble is that an OCer most likely will not be able to know for sure whether those circumstances actually exist while the encounter is occurring.

But, there is some good news on this front.

First, I've never heard of cop who asked for a suspect to verbally identify himself. Its always been, "I wanna see sum ID!" Or, "Where's your ID?" Or, just, "Gimme your ID." A demand for an identity document rather than name and address verbally given.

Now, three US Supreme Court cases** add up to mean that there must first be a carefully worded statute requiring a person to submit an identity document and good*** reason for the cop to suspect your involvement in a crime before the cop can demand an identity document. To date, none of the local ordinances requiring a person to identify himself to a cop that I have seen included the carefully worded aspect about an identity document. Meaning locally if a cop demands an identity document, he is more than likely exceeding his authority. This is good news because it opens the identity document demander cop to a formal complaint on this point.

Now, what about verbally identifying oneself under certain circumstances? Several local jurisdictions have ordinances requiring it. There is a list in another thread. And, like I said earlier, the OCer is most likely not going to know for sure whether those circumstances exist (whether the cop has good reason to suspect the OCer's involvement in a crime). So, what to do?

I can't keep up with which local jurisdictions have identity ordinances. Plus, they can change--all it takes is county board or city council vote. So, my plan is to hand over my ID when demanded while politely verbally refusing consent. "Officer, no offense. I know you're probably just doing your job, but I am only providing this ID because you demanded it. I do not consent. (while handing it over)" This has the advantage of complying. And, setting him up for the formal complaint. While preserving my face from kissing concrete if he is a bad cop. And, if it later turns out the cop did not have good reason to suspect me, or that locality did not have an ordinance compelling me to identify myself, then I've got the cop on more complaint points.

Given the way cops demand identity documents without authority, its a pretty good bet I'll have at least that for a formal complaint. Since he is going to find out my name when the formal complaint lands on his boss' desk, anyway, I'm not terribly concerned with him getting my ID during the encounter itself. Although, there is some legal liability in providing identity if not necessary. Its not frequent, but it has happened to one OCer. See the third court case listed below. Next to last sentence in the opinion.

Sterile carry is definitely an option. I just can never remember to leave my wallet, taking only cash and credit card. Plus, there are plenty of times I transition between OC and CC and need that CHP with me, which has to be provided with ID if the CHP is requested by a cop (VA Code 18.2-308).

After coming up to speed on all that, you can then start reading the stuff at the thread linked below**** to find out even more.

*Videos:

Busted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Dont Talk to Police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Ten Rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbNLt7Om8&feature=player_embedded

**Court Cases on Identity Demands

Brown vs Texas http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0443_0047_ZO.html

Kolender vs Lawson http://supreme.justia.com/us/461/352/case.html

Hiibel vs 6th Judicial Court http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-5554.ZO.html
PS: You can actually see the police encounter that led to this court case on YouTube. The cop had a dash cam. Just type Hiibel's name into the YouTube search feature.

*** "Good reason" according to the courts, not what you or I would think is good reason. You'd be surprised at what the courts have said was good enough reason.

**** http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Amendment-Resources-Here!!&highlight=inchoate

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
In case any new people don't understand:

Send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the above person and he'll return it with some his OC info cards which include useful info as well as places where carry is prohibited. Very handy to have some in your pocket, especially to give to curious people you may encounter while OCing.

Make sure the self-addressed, stamped envelope has TWO stamps on it -- as indicated in S.A.2S.E.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are also those here that don't feel it necessary to get a Government-Issued Permission Slip (CHP) to carry a pistol for self-defense. I'm actually suprised one of "THEM" hasn't given you their $.02 worth yet.

Internet has been spotty at the farm this week MSC...besides, you don't want me running all the newbies off do you:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP
I'm actually suprised one of "THEM" hasn't given you their $.02 worth yet.

Internet has been spotty at the farm this week MSC...besides, you don't want me running all the newbies off do you:)

Think I heard that Peter has a big jar just for such donations.

One might wish to be careful about giving him a "piece of their mind" too. He's likely to not give it back when he is done with it. :lol:

MSC 45ACP

Peter, you know I had you in mind when I wrote that. I got my 'permission slip' before I 'knew better'. I found ODCO quite by accident AFTER getting my CHP. I've learned quite a bit from y'all since I got here. At first, I was skeptical about the 'permission slip' idea, now I'm a convert. After so many years in the military and doing LE, its hard to 'de-program' yourself back to "The Way Things Ought To Be" (apologies to the author of the book with that title).

The biggest difference now is that I get to carry what I want and as many as I want, in the open or in my underwear if I want...
:-D

RaiderRey

I hope everyone had a good Memorial weekend!

:monkey

Over the holiday weekend .....

Saturday - Opened Carry in Cracker Barrel, Manassas, VA 20109 ( Yes I know it's Prince William County, but still wanted to share. )

Sunday - OC in Mcdonalds, Near Fairlakes Shopping Center.

Monday - OC in Joes Crab Shack Fair Lakes Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22033

No problems or comments.

230therapy

The Virginia CHP does assist with long gun carry, which everyone on this board should be doing.

It does make OC of a pistol with threaded barrel legal. You can carry that STI 1911 with 27 round magazine.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I had two reactions...

First thought was, Fairfax Co. is a huge area. There really ought to be a thread for the Bailey's Cross Roads / Seven Corners area; one for Tysons / Dulles; one for McLean / Great Falls; one for Bull Run / Clifton; one for the Jefferson Davis Highway corridor; and one for Centreville. And separate threads for Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax, as well as Vienna and Falls Church.

Second thought was, that list of "cities" is a list of post offices. There are no cities in Fairfax County, since a city is the functional equivalent of a county, and is an independent jurisdiction. So Fairfax and Falls Church are not "in" Fairfax County. Falls Church isn't even in the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit - it shares its circuit court with Arlington County (the Seventeenth Circuit).

Though the towns of Clifton, Vienna, and Herndon are in Fairfax County.

We obviously need a lot more threads.

RaiderRey

Just came from Walgreens, Centreville, VA 20120.

As I entered, one of the workers gasped and held her chest. Other than that, I was able to OC with no issues. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

RaiderRey

Prime Time Sports Bar and Grille in James Swart Cir, Fairfax, VA 22030.

:uhoh:

This place is NOT OC friendly. I was chatting with one of the investors last night and even though he's ok with OC, the owner of the place is not. Apparently, the owner is super paranoid about firearms.

:eek: