• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad Experience - Dick's Sporting Goods (GSO)

smlawrence

I had went to several stores trying to find one of them rope necklaces that the MLB Players wear for my son and ended up at Dick's today. It was my daughter and me wandering around looking at all of the baseball stuff. We had been in there 10 minutes when I finally found someone to ask about the thing and he pointed me in the right direction. Once over there, another associate came up and asked if he could help. So I asked him some questions about sizes and colors for a couple of minutes and then it happened. He noticed I was wearing my gun on my hip. His first question was "How long are you guys going to be in here?". Dumbfounded I answered "Huh?". He then proceeded to tell me that he needed to take my gun and place it in a case. Now at first I thought he was messing with me and joking around about my gun. But he kept on telling me that he needed to take it and put it in a case. He was very persistant on this. I kept asking him "What are you talking about, my gun isn't leaving my side". He pointed at a case for a long-gun, I'm assuming are used for those coming in for repairs or cleaning. Once again I laughed at him and told him that my gun wasn't leaving my side and he continued pushing his case. I informed him that there were no policies that were posted for guns that weren't coming in for a repair or good cleaning anywhere and that my gun wasn't leaving my side but I cerainly could just leave and carry my money elsewhere as I started on my way out.

Do I call and talk to the manager and let them know that their emloyee tried to disarm me and that would be a big mistake for one of their employees trying to disarm a customer. That could end up getting someone hurt, especially an employee. I could see that he really wanted to reach out and take it off my hip, he just didn't know that he would of pulled back a nub. Or do I email coorporate and let the word fall further from up hill? I ended up laughing my a$$ off as I was walking out the door and Sports Authority was very happy as I handed my cash to them instead of Dick's.

kcGlock19

I have carried twice there and they do scope you out more but never said anything to me. There employees don't seem as familar around guns as gander mtn.

I might carry there tomorrow because i have to pick up some stuff for my camping trip.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I have OCed in various Dick's Sporting Goods in NC, and VA, and have never once had an issue.

But they DO seem yo give you the hairy eyeball...

Gander Mountain, however, is VERY OC-friendly in my experience. No matter where I've been, the folks at Gander always seem to ask me what I'm carrying, and then ask a LOT of questions about my Para. But they've NEVER asked me to leave it in my car or to hand it over to them.

You need to call their corporate HQ and let them know what happened, and have them set this employee straight. He sounds like a VERY dangerous potential ND waiting to happen...

Sabotage70

I had went to several stores trying to find one of them rope necklaces that the MLB Players wear for my son and ended up at Dick's today. It was my daughter and me wandering around looking at all of the baseball stuff. We had been in there 10 minutes when I finally found someone to ask about the thing and he pointed me in the right direction. Once over there, another associate came up and asked if he could help. So I asked him some questions about sizes and colors for a couple of minutes and then it happened. He noticed I was wearing my gun on my hip. His first question was "How long are you guys going to be in here?". Dumbfounded I answered "Huh?". He then proceeded to tell me that he needed to take my gun and place it in a case. Now at first I thought he was messing with me and joking around about my gun. But he kept on telling me that he needed to take it and put it in a case. He was very persistant on this. I kept asking him "What are you talking about, my gun isn't leaving my side". He pointed at a case for a long-gun, I'm assuming are used for those coming in for repairs or cleaning. Once again I laughed at him and told him that my gun wasn't leaving my side and he continued pushing his case. I informed him that there were no policies that were posted for guns that weren't coming in for a repair or good cleaning anywhere and that my gun wasn't leaving my side but I cerainly could just leave and carry my money elsewhere as I started on my way out.

Do I call and talk to the manager and let them know that their emloyee tried to disarm me and that would be a big mistake for one of their employees trying to disarm a customer. That could end up getting someone hurt, especially an employee. I could see that he really wanted to reach out and take it off my hip, he just didn't know that he would of pulled back a nub. Or do I email coorporate and let the word fall further from up hill? I ended up laughing my a$$ off as I was walking out the door and Sports Authority was very happy as I handed my cash to them instead of Dick's.

It wouldn't hurt to send a copy of the receipt from their competition. It my have not been a big ticket item. But lost business is still a loss.

Last edited: