• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quantico Tactical Supply?

Dreamer

So, I bought a BUNCH of Blackhawk Serpa stuff from QTS, when their store was located in Woodbridge about a year ago, and had a GREAT experience. Friendly staff, OC-friendly, good prices, fantastic selection. I was happy all around with my shopping trip there.

Now I find that they have changed locations, and have an "outlet store" in the Potomac Mills Mall (which is posted against carry) and another store on Potomac Avenue in Quantico (which appears to be ON the Quantico Marine Corps Base, based on Goggle Maps).

My question is this. Is the QTS store in Quantico actually on base, or do I have to go through the base to get to it? I ask because I'll be driving through the area--and will be carrying--and I don't want to get there, and be turned away because I've got firearms in my vehicle...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Yes, its 'on base'..... meaning you will need to go through the military checkpoint to get there.

Dreamer

Yes, its 'on base'..... meaning you will need to go through the military checkpoint to get there.

No that means that I WILL NOT be visiting that location, because I'll be traveling with several firearms in my vehicle, and will have nowhere to leave them when I'm in their area.

So let me get this straight...

The biggest retailer of tactical supplies and firearms accessories in Virginia has BOTH it's retail outlets in locations where carry is prohibited?

What rocket scientist drew up their current business model?

That's like putting a butcher shop on the grounds of a Buddhist monastery...

I was planning to drop a significant amount of money there on a new holster and some summer clothing.

I will now be sending a copy of my receipt from an online retailer along with a letter expressing my disappointment in their location choices later this month...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
When they were known as Quantico Arms with their store in Q-Town (Quantico proper), I went there several times with firearms in my car. I kept them in my trunk and was only examined once at the gate when going on base. My arms were not taken since I was going to a gun store in town. Never had a problem. And one of the guns was an AR15.

Jay

Transport Firearms and Ammunition Aboard Marine Corps Base, Quantico

Marine Corps Base, Quantico (MCBQ) is a U.S. Military Installation and Federal law applies. Like all military installations, MCBQ takes force protection seriously and all personnel are subject to their rules and regulations. The Marines are very professional and do not interfere with those who follow the rules.

Firearms Transport rules are found in MCBQ Order 8000.1 and the Provost Marshall Standard Operating Procedure. This authority requires that all personnel ensure that:

All firearms are CASED and UNLOADED
A cased firearm must not be readily accessible in the vehicle
Ammo must be as far away from a cased firearm as possible; ammo should be cased, if practicable, and not readily accessible
All magazines must be unloaded

Last edited:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
The Town of Quantico is NOT on the Marine base

This is a common mistake. The town of Quantico (where Quantico Tactical (QT) is located) is NOT on board Quantico Marine Base. It is however surrounded on three sides by the base. The fourth side fronts on the Potomac River which is a Maryland river. You must cross the base to enter the town by land. So your choices are, follow the Marine Corp Base instructions for transporting a firearm "ACROSS" the base, or find a way to follow the laws of the state of Maryland and come in by boat.

The base instructions are actually very simply to comply with.

As for the QT location at Potomic mills. While it is true that the mall does not allow firearms, the last time I was there they did not have a sign posted at the door closest to QT. The entrance to the store is quite near to the Mall door, and the QT store clerks do not have an issue with firearms. Just unload it, put it in a case and carry it in.

Regards

Don Barnett

My Experience

So, I bought a BUNCH of Blackhawk Serpa stuff from QTS, when their store was located in Woodbridge about a year ago, and had a GREAT experience. Friendly staff, OC-friendly, good prices, fantastic selection. I was happy all around with my shopping trip there.

Now I find that they have changed locations, and have an "outlet store" in the Potomac Mills Mall (which is posted against carry) and another store on Potomac Avenue in Quantico (which appears to be ON the Quantico Marine Corps Base, based on Goggle Maps).

My question is this. Is the QTS store in Quantico actually on base, or do I have to go through the base to get to it? I ask because I'll be driving through the area--and will be carrying--and I don't want to get there, and be turned away because I've got firearms in my vehicle...

Thanks in advance...

Whenever I went into their Woodbridge store, no one ever came out from behind the counter to help me.

Blk97F150

This is a common mistake. The town of Quantico (where Quantico Tactical (QT) is located) is NOT on board Quantico Marine Base. It is however surrounded on three sides by the base. The fourth side fronts on the Potomac River which is a Maryland river. You must cross the base to enter the town by land. So your choices are, follow the Marine Corp Base instructions for transporting a firearm "ACROSS" the base, or find a way to follow the laws of the state of Maryland and come in by boat.

The base instructions are actually very simply to comply with.

As for the QT location at Potomic mills. While it is true that the mall does not allow firearms, the last time I was there they did not have a sign posted at the door closest to QT. The entrance to the store is quite near to the Mall door, and the QT store clerks do not have an issue with firearms. Just unload it, put it in a case and carry it in.

Regards

Yeah... thats why I put it in quotes.. (its 'on base'..... meaning you will need to go through the military checkpoint to get there.) There is no way to get to Q-town without going through the military gates, so all 'base' requirements apply.

TFred

Yeah... thats why I put it in quotes.. (its 'on base'..... meaning you will need to go through the military checkpoint to get there.) There is no way to get to Q-town without going through the military gates, so all 'base' requirements apply.
I don't know where all the borders are, but you might be able to do it via the VRE commuter train. Not that that would be particularly convenient...

The train stops right in what appears to me at least, to be downtown Quantico. I've never noticed anybody checking IDs or searching bags to get off the train. Are there points from the train station where you need to go through an ID check to get to the rest of the base part?

TFred

Blk97F150

I don't know where all the borders are, but you might be able to do it via the VRE commuter train. Not that that would be particularly convenient...

The train stops right in what appears to me at least, to be downtown Quantico. I've never noticed anybody checking IDs or searching bags to get off the train. Are there points from the train station where you need to go through an ID check to get to the rest of the base part?

TFred

I have no idea... I've never been on VRE (and probably never will... but thats a different thread! :uhoh: ). Give it a try, and let us know how it goes... :cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
VRE tracks are actually on base.

Getting into Q-Town is easy.

Pull into the far right lane as you approach the base entrance and inform the sentry that you are driving into Q-Town and that you have firearms with you. They will ask you to unload and make safe your firearms and store them separately from the ammunition for the time you are transiting the base. Think ahead and bring some containers for the ammo. Yes, you can keep cartridges in the magazines. Revolvers will probably do better with a container with a lid.

AFTER you cross the railroad tracks and go about 10 more yards you are within the borders of Q-Town. Stop on the side of the road, bring your firearms and ammo back together and make them in operating condition. Q-Town cops are quite knowledgeable about OC and may stop you to ask what you have got. Try not to block the sidewalk while you chat, as it is not polite.

IIRC QTS is about 2 blocks up on the rght-hand side of the main drag. There are some nice places to eat nearby http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=restaurants+quantico+va&s_it=client96_searchbox .

Leaving Q-Town just reverse the process - unload and separate ammo from firearms BEFORE crossing the railroad tracks and head back to the main gate. There is a nice yellow line across the road that designates the base boundary. Drive PAST the line, pull over, and make your firearms operational again.

You may want to watch the poor sentries watching you. I like to transit the base to Q-Town with several handguns and at least one long gun just to see the sentries realize I am way better armed than they are. Yes, it's juvenile. So what?

stay safe.

Dreamer

That's more hassle than driving to MD to visit my family.

I'll go online, thank you. QTS will be getting a letter next month, expressing my disappointment in their nonsensical real estate choices...

I am VERY big about "shopping local" and often pay more for items locally that I can get much more cheaply online, just for the purpose of keeping my business local.

But when a retailer makes it impossible, illegal, or exceedingly tedious to lawfully carry on their premises, I will happily "vote with my wallet".

Dreamer

That little known fact (at least I didn't know it) throws an interesting twist into the VRE firearms policy...

I guess as long as you don't get off the train, you're OK.

TFred

I hate to hijack my own thread, but I'm wondering with the recent announcements that we have "elevated threat levels" on "rail targets" by Amtrack officials, and TSA and DHS, will VRE hold to their pro-2A position on VA trains, or will they be pressured to lean on lawful OC on VRE trains from the Feds?...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...tep-up-patrols/2011/05/17/AFMA6q5G_story.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...to-new-york-city-and-us-trains-remains-high/#

TFred

I hate to hijack my own thread, but I'm wondering with the recent announcements that we have "elevated threat levels" on "rail targets" by Amtrack officials, and TSA and DHS, will VRE hold to their pro-2A position on VA trains, or will they be pressured to lean on lawful OC on VRE trains from the Feds?...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...tep-up-patrols/2011/05/17/AFMA6q5G_story.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...to-new-york-city-and-us-trains-remains-high/#
Of course, the answer to more threats is more loyal citizens carrying legal arms... Good luck getting a bureaucrat to see that...

TFred

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
That's more hassle than driving to MD to visit my family.

I'll go online, thank you. QTS will be getting a letter next month, expressing my disappointment in their nonsensical real estate choices...

I am VERY big about "shopping local" and often pay more for items locally that I can get much more cheaply online, just for the purpose of keeping my business local.

But when a retailer makes it impossible, illegal, or exceedingly tedious to lawfully carry on their premises, I will happily "vote with my wallet".

This was the first store Dave (the owner) opened in the QTS chain. At the time he was an active duty Marine Major, as was his wife (Kat, now divorced). His primary customer base were the students at OCS and TBS at Quantico. The store location was maybe a half mile from where he worked at the time (Breckinridge Hall). After he opened the old Woodbridge store, he pretty much shut down the Q'town store and used it for storage. A year or so after that he was told his FFL for the Woodbridge location was invalid, he reopened the Q'town store.

As stated earlier in this thread by others, Q'town is not on the base but is surrounded by it and the Potomac river. Thus, civilians who desire to visit the town are given a free pass through the base. The is similar to an easement (beleive the road is actually owned by the State or county). You must remain on the road into the town. You are not authorized to go any where else on the base but only directly to the town. At the main gate to MCB Quantico, all you have to do is tell the the gate guards that you are going into Q'town. You'll have no hassle other than informing the gate guard.

As to sentry control/check points from the Amtrak station to the base, there are no control points. So yes, you can get off the train and walk on to the base. This is also a VRE station and there is VRE parking available to the customers of that service located nearby.

I consider Dave to be a friend. I didn't know him while I was on active duty, but my daughter worked for him when she was on active duty assigned to Quantico. She was working for him when he started the company.

Last edited: