• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i get some opinions please?

Marc

I want to know from people with personal experience or personal knowledge of these rifles that HiPoint is selling. They are chambered in 45 cal, 40 cal, and 9mm. Im not looking for opinions on how hipoint sucks and such and such is better, i have little money to spend and these rifles look pretty cool for 300 bucks. so please anyone that has something useful to say about them, please let me know. (these are the ones that kinda resemble real fancy assault rifles, with a complete tactical look to them.)

HeroHog

Spend more and get more, te Kel-Tec SUB2000 is THE way to go! I can't wait to replace the one I had to sell to survive. Don't get me wrong, the Hi-Point is good for the money, but if ya can swing more, the SUB2000 is in a whole different class!

Joe GlockStar

if the high point is 300 bucks, my BEST advice would be to go to gander mountain, dicks, most any gunshop, and buy an AK47...you can get a romanian century arms or many many many other AK's for less than 350 brand new almost anywhere. i can assure u of that considering i work at gander mountain.

Beretta92FSLady

If your heart is set on a carbine, get the sub-2000. I had one with six 32 rd. magazines, and loved it. The extra barrel length give you about 600 fps faster bullet. Dependable, and folds in half to fit in a BOB.

Now that I got that out of my system...get an AK-47, Romanian. Ammo is cheap, dependable, few moving parts, and can go out 200 yards...100 yards ideally.

The carbine stocks on the carbines are a bit short, I am 5'8", shorter arms, and found it to be a bit tight to hold onto.

AK all the way. Don't waste your money on an AR, just my .02.

Really, for an urban setting, it would be nice to have a highly concealable carbine like the sub-2000 that accepts the same magazines as your handgun. But, an AK-47 is a good urban rifle, and a good hunting rifle should the need arise.

I would get an AK-47, unless you are looking for a BOB firearm, then go for a carbine, as long as it accepts the same magazines as your handgun.

Marc

Thanks for all the helpful opinions so far, my budget only allows me to buy my guns on layaway, the only place in this town that has layaway is the pawn and gun shop, becuz they are the only ones with that option their prices are higher than most places. I'd love an AK, but they cost between 500 and 700 bucks and i cant pay that off in 90 days. Ive never seen the sub2000 cuz they dont carry it. My heart aint set on a carbine, im not a hunter so i dont know much about long guns, the hi- point is what i can afford on payments so thats why i'm asking for opinions from people that have experience on those particular guns. Again thanks for the replies so far, and i look forward to more. On another note, i'm not going to a hi-point forum and getting opinions from a bunch of people that worship those cheap guns, i'd rather talk to people on this forum.

Marc

If your heart is set on a carbine, get the sub-2000. I had one with six 32 rd. magazines, and loved it. The extra barrel length give you about 600 fps faster bullet. Dependable, and folds in half to fit in a BOB.

Now that I got that out of my system...get an AK-47, Romanian. Ammo is cheap, dependable, few moving parts, and can go out 200 yards...100 yards ideally.

The carbine stocks on the carbines are a bit short, I am 5'8", shorter arms, and found it to be a bit tight to hold onto.

AK all the way. Don't waste your money on an AR, just my .02.

Really, for an urban setting, it would be nice to have a highly concealable carbine like the sub-2000 that accepts the same magazines as your handgun. But, an AK-47 is a good urban rifle, and a good hunting rifle should the need arise.

I would get an AK-47, unless you are looking for a BOB firearm, then go for a carbine, as long as it accepts the same magazines as your handgun.

I'm sorry not sure what BOB means and i really doubt i can find a carbine that accepts my handgun mags, i have a .40 cal Sigma and a .380 Bersa Firestorm. Not sure either of those will fit any carbine on the market, i could be wrong tho cuz i dont know much about any kind of long guns, i'm into handguns. :)

Beretta92FSLady

I'm sorry not sure what BOB means and i really doubt i can find a carbine that accepts my handgun mags, i have a .40 cal Sigma and a .380 Bersa Firestorm. Not sure either of those will fit any carbine on the market, i could be wrong tho cuz i dont know much about any kind of long guns, i'm into handguns. :)

B.O.B.= Bug Out Bag. A bag that a person has, at the ready, preferably where the individual is at, typically stored in the car. I would say in the home, but I have everything I need in my home.

I am not sure about the Sigma. There may be an aftermarket doo-hickee that you might be able to alter the sub-2000 to accept Sigma magazines, but I doubt it. I used to carry a 9mm Sigma. Fired thousands of round through it with only a couple of FTF's. Sigma's are not for limp-wristers, that's for sure:cool:. Looks like you have one of these in your future then...http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ewbankak47.com/pic/006.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ewbankak47.com/AK47_Pistols.php&h=281&w=450&sz=41&tbnid=K8C5HrPbQ9lj3M:&tbnh=79&tbnw=127&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAK-47%2Bhandgun%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=AK-47+handgun&hl=en&usg=__BrcntF9ClnAZbhSn5HF-cddj8lg=&sa=X&ei=UlTfTaKkLYuCsQP-ufWNBw&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAQ Now that's a handgun!
Yea, keep it simple. All my firearms are either in 9mm. 7.62X39, or 12 gauge.

Last edited:

Marc

B.O.B.= Bug Out Bag. A bag that a person has, at the ready, preferably where the individual is at, typically stored in the car. I would say in the home, but I have everything I need in my home.

I am not sure about the Sigma. There may be an aftermarket doo-hickee that you might be able to alter the sub-2000 to accept Sigma magazines, but I doubt it. I used to carry a 9mm Sigma. Fired thousands of round through it with only a couple of FTF's. Sigma's are not for limp-wristers, that's for sure:cool:. Looks like you have one of these in your future then...http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ewbankak47.com/pic/006.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ewbankak47.com/AK47_Pistols.php&h=281&w=450&sz=41&tbnid=K8C5HrPbQ9lj3M:&tbnh=79&tbnw=127&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAK-47%2Bhandgun%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=AK-47+handgun&hl=en&usg=__BrcntF9ClnAZbhSn5HF-cddj8lg=&sa=X&ei=UlTfTaKkLYuCsQP-ufWNBw&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAQ Now that's a handgun!
Yea, keep it simple. All my firearms are either in 9mm. 7.62X39, or 12 gauge.

oh cool i like those guns not sur if they are even legal here in MO tho. LOL but i can always dream :))

since9

Campaign Veteran
On another note, i'm not going to a hi-point forum and getting opinions from a bunch of people that worship those cheap guns, i'd rather talk to people on this forum.

That shows wisdom. I ask you share with us why you're focused on these particular rifles vs similar rifles with similar capabilities which might actually be cheaper. In other words, what are your goals? Accuracy or power at a distance? Portability? High mag capacity? Home defense? Plinking? Improving your aim? Just plain fun?

Armed with that information, we might help find you a solution more suited to your interests and budget.

Marc

Well actually its more for fun, I dont want to rely on a hi-point for my life ive heard as many bad things abount the manufacturer as i have good things, and in my own opinion i trust myself more with a pistol than trying to get a quick aim with a rifle to defend myself or my home. So power and mag capacity dont really factor, i like the looks of the hi-point carbines for the price and i just want to know that i wont have to stop and clear jams every time i turn around. I don't hunt so i dont need something that can shoot accurate at over 100 yards, just a neat looking reliable gun to have as a toy, my pistols are used to protect me and my family, and if that dont work i have th 12 gauge pump shotgun that used to be referred to as a riot gun or scattergun. So if that helps i'm just trying to find out if i can have a good time with one thesee hi-points.

HeroHog

The Hi-Point carbines ARE great little CHEAP guns. If that is all ya can afford, get one! Most of us are just pointing out that for just a little more you can get a LOT more by upgrading to a SUB2000. An AK is great too but way more expensive than even the SUB2000.

xxx.jakk.xxx

if the high point is 300 bucks, my BEST advice would be to go to gander mountain, dicks, most any gunshop, and buy an AK47...you can get a romanian century arms or many many many other AK's for less than 350 brand new almost anywhere. i can assure u of that considering i work at gander mountain.

Damn, I wish you could get that in Washington. I haven't seen cheaper than $550 local. To get it shipped in from the internet I could beat that price, but not by much.

KYKevin

Damn everybodys praising this Sub2000, i guess im gonna have to see if they can order one for me cuz it sounds pretty sweet.

LOL. I love my sub2k 40 cal. I even have nine 30 rd mags. Let my brother fire it the other day and now I think he wants one. First time some see it they are not sure. But let them shoot it and they love it. Look for KTOG on the interwebz if you want to learn more about them.

BTW: I got mine for under $300.00, the 30 rd. mags I think ended up only costing me like $11.00 each. Mine uses glock mags so that is a plus if you carry a Glock and want a carbine that is compatable.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I always liked my little Hi-Point carbines. If Home defense is your objective I'd certainly stay with a pistol caliber, .40 or .45 would be best. That way over penetration isn't an issue. I don't know about the sub2000, but I used a KelTech 9mm pistol and traded it quickly. The trigger pull was around 12,000 pounds. Don't know if their carbines are the same way, and Hi-Points do have their own draw backs. The blow back operation makes my cheek/stock weld feel like I'm being slapped, so I have a neoprene pad for it. The trigger is spongy, but isn't too hard. Mine is very accurate, I'd have to say that's why I'm a fan.

Outdoorsman1

I was checking out the .45 Cal. Hi Point Carbine just the other day...AWESOME LOOKING firearm... My thoughts...

Small Cap. Mag. (already mentioned) (I think it was 9 rounds)? or 9+1 fully loaded...
Molded lower.. Not available with a folding stock (Personal Preference)

The one I held was comfortable to handle.... It also came with a Lazer Sight as well as a Tacical Flashlight already mounted. A forward mount (pistol type)(?) Grip is available but I did not see it on this one...

I spoke to a HIgh Point Rep via the contact us from the website... Larger capacity mags are NOT available... and he was trying to tell me that he has shot this firearm acurately up to an unbeliveable yardage... some like 200 or 300 yds... I was thinking "yea right, for a .45 Cal Carbine....ha ha ha...)

I cannot speak to the quality of High Point as I have no experiance with them.

All around it was a WAY COOL Firearm for a low budget (me) cost... As described @ $379.00 + WI tax...

I had a choice and opted for a VMAC-10 , also in .45 Cal. with a 30 round Mag and classified as sold has a handgun... obviously not as effective long range as the High Point but a nice, handy (small package) firearm to have around in a pinch (or Zombie Attack)...
Only downside on the VMAC-10, fully loaded, she's a little heavy....and a little more expensive @ $419.00 (included case, and "fake" supressor and 1 Mag.)..

Here she is....(not mine, but identical except mine came with a fake supressor)..

http://forums.handloads.com/archive/forum_posts.asp?TID=26647

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Aknazer

Well actually its more for fun, I dont want to rely on a hi-point for my life ive heard as many bad things abount the manufacturer as i have good things, and in my own opinion i trust myself more with a pistol than trying to get a quick aim with a rifle to defend myself or my home. So power and mag capacity dont really factor, i like the looks of the hi-point carbines for the price and i just want to know that i wont have to stop and clear jams every time i turn around. I don't hunt so i dont need something that can shoot accurate at over 100 yards, just a neat looking reliable gun to have as a toy, my pistols are used to protect me and my family, and if that dont work i have th 12 gauge pump shotgun that used to be referred to as a riot gun or scattergun. So if that helps i'm just trying to find out if i can have a good time with one thesee hi-points.

If you're just after a gun for having fun and are on a budget then I would recommend looking at .22LR guns. The reason being that ammo for 9mm, .40, .45, etc gets expensive real quick (it's like $50+ for 250 rounds of 9mm and it only goes up from there), but .22LR is real cheap. And with you saying you're on a tight budget you can quickly find yourself unable to shoot a larger caliber for fun simply because of the cost of ammo. I know I can easily blow through 150-200+ rounds of ammo in my handguns during a single trip to the range and for my .40 that means you're looking at ~$70 in ammo alone (range use is another 5-15 depending on range, and then $1 per target).