• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need examples of States that require Americans to be a U.S. resident to possess guns.

OC4me

As an expatriate American, who is not a U.S. resident, I am looking for examples of States or localities that have laws that specifically require American citizens to be a U.S. resident as a legal prerequisite for firearms possession in their jurisdiction.

I'm drafting a long letter to a member of congress about the difficulties that expatriate Americans face in legally exercising their Second Amendment Rights when they are back in the States for a temporary visit.

This little-known issue affects Americans who are studying abroad or have a work assignment overseas which is long-term enough that they lose their State residency status. Many U.S. Citizens (often unknowingly) lose their former home-state residency after a certain period of time abroad (varies by State). This is despite the fact that they may still be a registered voter and may even maintain a home in that State. Some states have a 'physical' presence test that they apply to determine whether someone is a U.S. resident or not. Anyway, I won't bore everyone with the details but I would appreciate forum members around the country who can check their particular State's eligibility requirements, to see if they require one to be a U.S. resident as a qualification for simple possession of a handgun.

This issue is most likely to pop up in States that have a licensing, permit, or registration scheme in place as a pre-requisite for simple firearms possession. Thanks all!

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

Looks like PA only restricts it in that:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6105: Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) A person who has been convicted of an offense enumerated in subsection (b), within or without this Commonwealth, regardless of the length of sentence or whose conduct meets the criteria in subsection (c) shall not possess, use, control, sell, transfer or manufacture or obtain a license to possess, use, control, sell, transfer or manufacture a firearm in this Commonwealth.

{snip}

(c) Other persons.--In addition to any person who has been convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of subsection (a):

{snip}

(5) A person who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.