Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harassed at Rainbow Library branch for empty holster

harassed at Rainbow Library branch for empty holster

After spending about 30 mins browsing and picking up some books, I was stopped on the way out. Now keep in mind that the security guard in question shadowed me for most of the 30 mins. Only as I was on my way out nearly out the door did he say something. I didnt get the first few seconds on recording but did get most of it. He said to me what in the case. It is clearly a open top holster. A Bianchi carry Lok. http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=82 I responded with non of your business and continued on out the door. He followed and said something. I turned around and hit record on my phone. I thought I had got the video but hit audio only.

well I am a idiot. I played it back while in the car, but I seem to have deleted it or recorded over it. Yes I am a audio engineer by trade and I screwed this u.

It went something like this.

I turned and asked if he had a question and informed him I was recording.
    He replied that I can have a firearm.
    I asked do you see one?
    he said no.
    I said is it against the law to have a empty holster.
    He said no but that I couldnt have a metal clip.
    I said what metal clip?
    He pointed at the PLASTIC carry lok and said does that look like a trigger to you?
    I laughed and said not in any way.
    I asked for his name and who he worked for and he turned his back to me and when I went to his front he covered his badge and name tag. I asked his partner who had been silent and in some sort of shock for the same info. The old guy said dont talk to him.

As I was outside and walking away he made a kissing sound at me. I turned because I wasnt sure it was him as I had sen some one else in the same space. I asked the man walking out if that was the guard who made that sound? He said yes.

I am still searching my phone for any trace of the audio if I find it I will post it.

All I can say is wow. Kissing sounds, really. I'm sure I don't have to ask. But are you going to file a complaint with all party's involved?
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Working on that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabotage70 View Post
    All I can say is wow. Kissing sounds, really. I'm sure I don't have to ask. But are you going to file a complaint with all party's involved?
    Absolutely getting all my ducks in a row. Just sorry I didnt get the kissing sound on tape. And this was a older man not some young punk.

I should add he kept one hand on his revolver the whole time, and at one point put a finger very close to my face.

I am thinking about going back in a day or so and wear my cowboy shooting rig. Just so there would be no question of what it was I had on.

Definitely do that. Only the degenerates can be baited. The decent aren't tempted to do wrong in the first place.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

After trying a couple of tools to recover the audio it sems I didnt trash it but recorded over it. I still had it up on my phone when I got home to listen a second time and I hit record and not play and it just over wrote. I will press on in trying more recovery programs but I am pretty sure its gone.

I think another leson here is that one should have a dedicated recorder as well.
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 05-26-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    After trying a couple of tools to recover the audio it sems I didnt trash it but recorded over it. I still had it up on my phone when I got home to listen a second time and I hit record and not play and it just over wrote. I will press on in trying more recovery programs but I am pretty sure its gone.

I think another leson here is that one should have a dedicated recorder as well.
    From my understanding with recovering data. It can be recovered as long as it hasn't been recorded over.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Dear Steve,

We are strongly considering revoking your nerd certification.

From my understanding with recovering data. It can be recovered as long as it hasn't been recorded over.
    Depending on what device he is using, I am not sure that even a new "recording" would write a file directly over the old one. File systems in phones don't usually work that way, but I would wonder about the phone and OS he is using.

I use an HTC HD2, which started life as a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. It was rooted, and now I dual boot both a custom Windows Mobile build and Android Gingerbread (the version for the tablets). Android is booted from the SD Card and things that are recorded via Android are on an encrypted "virtual SD Card". A secure way to make sure no one can get into it without permission for sure, however.. With the OS running basically all over the place. Chances to get overwritten data on something "deleted" is quite high.

Most other devices, the chances are not so much that the file was on parts of the "disc" that were overwritten, is minimal without heavy usage of picture taking, recording of video, etc.

Depending on what device he is using, I am not sure that even a new "recording" would write a file directly over the old one. File systems in phones don't usually work that way, but I would wonder about the phone and OS he is using.

I use an HTC HD2, which started life as a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. It was rooted, and now I dual boot both a custom Windows Mobile build and Android Gingerbread (the version for the tablets). Android is booted from the SD Card and things that are recorded via Android are on an encrypted "virtual SD Card". A secure way to make sure no one can get into it without permission for sure, however.. With the OS running basically all over the place. Chances to get overwritten data on something "deleted" is quite high.

Most other devices, the chances are not so much that the file was on parts of the "disc" that were overwritten, is minimal without heavy usage of picture taking, recording of video, etc.
    I'm a little tech savvy but rooting and jail breaking phones is way beyond my skill level. With the proper instructions I'm sure I can do it. I would just hate to turn a $200+ phone into a paper weight.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

I am on a HTC Inspire rooted running MIUI. I was able to find what I thought was the file in the correct folder and it was hidden but not there. Other files are. The program I used does indeed overwrite a file if you dont save it. I have since tested it and it is indeed true.

I'm a little tech savvy but rooting and jail breaking phones is way beyond my skill level. With the proper instructions I'm sure I can do it. I would just hate to turn a $200+ phone into a paper weight.
    It is really pretty simple. Its hard to brick a phone now days.

I am on a HTC Inspire rooted running MIUI. I was able to find what I thought was the file in the correct folder and it was hidden but not there. Other files are. The program I used does indeed overwrite a file if you dont save it. I have since tested it and it is indeed true.
    Damn. Was hoping to hear that encounter.

Hey pro tip, steve jobs called and recommends an iphone!

I should add he kept one hand on his revolver the whole time, and at one point put a finger very close to my face.
    Too bad this wasn't in Virginia...
    Last edited by xd shooter; 05-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    I heard that!.................
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    And why is that?
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    And why is that?
    There is a case in Virginia awaiting the court date in Sept. wherein the charge is brandishing his firearm "by pointing his finger at me." It might sound funny (it is) but the charge is actually being pursued by the Commonwealth Attorney in Surry County

Check out the Va. forum - there are several threads stickied there on it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

There is a case in Virginia awaiting the court date in Sept. wherein the charge is brandishing his firearm "by pointing his finger at me." It might sound funny (it is) but the charge is actually being pursued by the Commonwealth Attorney in Surry County

Check out the Va. forum - there are several threads stickied there on it.
    Oh ok. It can get pretty threatening and disrespectful when that happens.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

<snip>

My post was redundant.
    Last edited by wrightme; 05-27-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Letter I have crafted to be sent to all I can involved with the library. Please proof it for me.

Today May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it. I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was legal. He after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

I then asked for his name and whom he worked for he refused to give me that info and covered his badge and what I think was a name tag. So I was unable to get his name. I then asked the other guard sitting down for the same info. He was told by the older man to not speak to me.

I should also point out that for the entire time this guard had his hand on his revolver, while putting a finger in my face. I am not some young kid. I am a 44 year old grown adult man. I turned and left and as I was leaving the guard stood in the doorway and made a smooching sound at me. This was confirmed by another patron leaving the library as well.

I also require that you furnish me with the names and company name of the security firm working today.

Letter I have crafted to be sent to all I can involved with the library. Please proof it for me.

Today(comma) May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch of the library. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it". I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was illegal. He(comma) after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

I then asked for his name and whom he worked for he refused to give me that info and covered his badge and what I think was a name tag. So I was unable to get his name. I then asked the other guard sitting down for the same info. He was told by the older man to not speak to me.

I should also point out that for the entire time this guard had his hand on his revolver, while putting a finger in my face. I am not some young kid. I am a 44 year old grown adult man. I turned and left and as I was leaving the guard stood in the doorway and made a smooching sound at me. This was confirmed by another patron leaving the library as well.

I also require that you furnish me with the names and company name of the security firm working today.
    You use a bit too many 'I then's. Otherwise it sounds accurate and grammatically adequate. You also don't have a conclusion, such as 'this kind of behavior is unprofessional and provocative.

Today May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it. I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was legal. He after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

Very well said. In my opinion you have said enough and the conclusions are obvious. You have stated through the description of your encouter that his behavior was unprofessional. You are telling them that you were offended. I don't think they could draw any other conclusion. Sometimes the less said the better. Save some for a rebuttal.

I'm curious as to any response you might get.

TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 05-27-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks all small changes made and sent to nearly everyone in the library district that has a email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast