• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

harassed at Rainbow Library branch for empty holster

Vegassteve

After spending about 30 mins browsing and picking up some books, I was stopped on the way out. Now keep in mind that the security guard in question shadowed me for most of the 30 mins. Only as I was on my way out nearly out the door did he say something. I didnt get the first few seconds on recording but did get most of it. He said to me what in the case. It is clearly a open top holster. A Bianchi carry Lok. http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=82 I responded with non of your business and continued on out the door. He followed and said something. I turned around and hit record on my phone. I thought I had got the video but hit audio only.

well I am a idiot. I played it back while in the car, but I seem to have deleted it or recorded over it. Yes I am a audio engineer by trade and I screwed this u.

It went something like this.

I turned and asked if he had a question and informed him I was recording.
He replied that I can have a firearm.
I asked do you see one?
he said no.
I said is it against the law to have a empty holster.
He said no but that I couldnt have a metal clip.
I said what metal clip?
He pointed at the PLASTIC carry lok and said does that look like a trigger to you?
I laughed and said not in any way.
I asked for his name and who he worked for and he turned his back to me and when I went to his front he covered his badge and name tag. I asked his partner who had been silent and in some sort of shock for the same info. The old guy said dont talk to him.

As I was outside and walking away he made a kissing sound at me. I turned because I wasnt sure it was him as I had sen some one else in the same space. I asked the man walking out if that was the guard who made that sound? He said yes.

I am still searching my phone for any trace of the audio if I find it I will post it.

Vegassteve

All I can say is wow. Kissing sounds, really. I'm sure I don't have to ask. But are you going to file a complaint with all party's involved?

Absolutely getting all my ducks in a row. Just sorry I didnt get the kissing sound on tape. And this was a older man not some young punk.

I should add he kept one hand on his revolver the whole time, and at one point put a finger very close to my face.

I am thinking about going back in a day or so and wear my cowboy shooting rig. Just so there would be no question of what it was I had on.

Claytron

Absolutely getting all my ducks in a row. Just sorry I didnt get the kissing sound on tape. And this was a older man not some young punk.

I should add he kept one hand on his revolver the whole time, and at one point put a finger very close to my face.

I am thinking about going back in a day or so and wear my cowboy shooting rig. Just so there would be no question of what it was I had on.

You should just be an adult about the situation and make a complaint abou the childish actions of the grown man acting as security for the establishment. All this talk of going back to places you know you arent welcome by peopl eon this forum is really disheartening, imagine if you were a person interested in getting information on firearms and the people who carry them.... And then you see people talking about how they are going around trying to start trouble. It doesnt really set a good example and its also really irresponsible.... you said he had his hand on his revolver even though you didnt have a firearm.... do you really want to take the chance that he will back down next time and it wont escalate to something you both regret?

Take the highroad and put in a full formal complaint and dont let them put you off to the side, email and write letters to any and all involved and they will have no choice but to respond.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Definitely do that. Only the degenerates can be baited. The decent aren't tempted to do wrong in the first place.

Vegassteve

After trying a couple of tools to recover the audio it sems I didnt trash it but recorded over it. I still had it up on my phone when I got home to listen a second time and I hit record and not play and it just over wrote. I will press on in trying more recovery programs but I am pretty sure its gone.

I think another leson here is that one should have a dedicated recorder as well.

Last edited:

Sabotage70

After trying a couple of tools to recover the audio it sems I didnt trash it but recorded over it. I still had it up on my phone when I got home to listen a second time and I hit record and not play and it just over wrote. I will press on in trying more recovery programs but I am pretty sure its gone.

I think another leson here is that one should have a dedicated recorder as well.

From my understanding with recovering data. It can be recovered as long as it hasn't been recorded over.

Badger Johnson

Dear Steve,

We are strongly considering revoking your nerd certification. :p :dude:

VW_Factor

From my understanding with recovering data. It can be recovered as long as it hasn't been recorded over.

Depending on what device he is using, I am not sure that even a new "recording" would write a file directly over the old one. File systems in phones don't usually work that way, but I would wonder about the phone and OS he is using.

I use an HTC HD2, which started life as a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. It was rooted, and now I dual boot both a custom Windows Mobile build and Android Gingerbread (the version for the tablets). Android is booted from the SD Card and things that are recorded via Android are on an encrypted "virtual SD Card". A secure way to make sure no one can get into it without permission for sure, however.. With the OS running basically all over the place. Chances to get overwritten data on something "deleted" is quite high.

Most other devices, the chances are not so much that the file was on parts of the "disc" that were overwritten, is minimal without heavy usage of picture taking, recording of video, etc.

Sabotage70

Depending on what device he is using, I am not sure that even a new "recording" would write a file directly over the old one. File systems in phones don't usually work that way, but I would wonder about the phone and OS he is using.

I use an HTC HD2, which started life as a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. It was rooted, and now I dual boot both a custom Windows Mobile build and Android Gingerbread (the version for the tablets). Android is booted from the SD Card and things that are recorded via Android are on an encrypted "virtual SD Card". A secure way to make sure no one can get into it without permission for sure, however.. With the OS running basically all over the place. Chances to get overwritten data on something "deleted" is quite high.

Most other devices, the chances are not so much that the file was on parts of the "disc" that were overwritten, is minimal without heavy usage of picture taking, recording of video, etc.

I'm a little tech savvy but rooting and jail breaking phones is way beyond my skill level. With the proper instructions I'm sure I can do it. I would just hate to turn a $200+ phone into a paper weight.

Vegassteve

I am on a HTC Inspire rooted running MIUI. I was able to find what I thought was the file in the correct folder and it was hidden but not there. Other files are. The program I used does indeed overwrite a file if you dont save it. I have since tested it and it is indeed true.

VW_Factor

I am on a HTC Inspire rooted running MIUI. I was able to find what I thought was the file in the correct folder and it was hidden but not there. Other files are. The program I used does indeed overwrite a file if you dont save it. I have since tested it and it is indeed true.

Damn. Was hoping to hear that encounter. :lol:

xd shooter

Too bad this wasn't in Virginia...:)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Too bad this wasn't in Virginia...:)

I heard that!.................:lol:

And why is that?:question:

There is a case in Virginia awaiting the court date in Sept. wherein the charge is brandishing his firearm "by pointing his finger at me." It might sound funny (it is) but the charge is actually being pursued by the Commonwealth Attorney in Surry County

Check out the Va. forum - there are several threads stickied there on it.