• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

harassed at Rainbow Library branch for empty holster

Sabotage70

There is a case in Virginia awaiting the court date in Sept. wherein the charge is brandishing his firearm "by pointing his finger at me." It might sound funny (it is) but the charge is actually being pursued by the Commonwealth Attorney in Surry County

Check out the Va. forum - there are several threads stickied there on it.

Oh ok. It can get pretty threatening and disrespectful when that happens.

Vegassteve

Letter I have crafted to be sent to all I can involved with the library. Please proof it for me.

Today May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it. I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was legal. He after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

I then asked for his name and whom he worked for he refused to give me that info and covered his badge and what I think was a name tag. So I was unable to get his name. I then asked the other guard sitting down for the same info. He was told by the older man to not speak to me.

I should also point out that for the entire time this guard had his hand on his revolver, while putting a finger in my face. I am not some young kid. I am a 44 year old grown adult man. I turned and left and as I was leaving the guard stood in the doorway and made a smooching sound at me. This was confirmed by another patron leaving the library as well.

I also require that you furnish me with the names and company name of the security firm working today.

Badger Johnson

Letter I have crafted to be sent to all I can involved with the library. Please proof it for me.

Today(comma) May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch of the library. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it". I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was illegal. He(comma) after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

I then asked for his name and whom he worked for he refused to give me that info and covered his badge and what I think was a name tag. So I was unable to get his name. I then asked the other guard sitting down for the same info. He was told by the older man to not speak to me.

I should also point out that for the entire time this guard had his hand on his revolver, while putting a finger in my face. I am not some young kid. I am a 44 year old grown adult man. I turned and left and as I was leaving the guard stood in the doorway and made a smooching sound at me. This was confirmed by another patron leaving the library as well.

I also require that you furnish me with the names and company name of the security firm working today.

You use a bit too many 'I then's. Otherwise it sounds accurate and grammatically adequate. You also don't have a conclusion, such as 'this kind of behavior is unprofessional and provocative.

The Big Guy

Today May 26 I went to the Rainbow branch. Before entering I complied with the library policy and removed my legally owned and carried pistol. I locked it in a car safe in my car. I spent roughly 30 minutes getting some items. I checked out and was on my way out the door. I was approached or rather chased down by a older white security guard. He wanted to know what was in the case on my belt. Well I didn't have a case on my belt I did have a Bianchi Carry Lock holster. It is a open top holster that is clearly visible as I open carry and it was also very obvious that it was completely empty. I responded with "It is not a case it is my empty holster and has nothing in it. I then started again out the door. I then heard the guard say something else to me. I turned and started my audio recorder on my phone. I immediately let him know that I was recording him and asked him what he had said. he responded that he had said nothing. I then said to him that he indeed had said something and asked him to repeat it. He told there are no firearms allowed in the library. I told him it was very plain to see that there was not one on my person. He continued to argue the point after I asked him if having a empty holster was legal. He after much arguing and stammering on his part said it was not.

Very well said. In my opinion you have said enough and the conclusions are obvious. You have stated through the description of your encouter that his behavior was unprofessional. You are telling them that you were offended. I don't think they could draw any other conclusion. Sometimes the less said the better. Save some for a rebuttal.

I'm curious as to any response you might get.

TBG

Last edited:

28kfps

Hey 5-O! Jump back!! I am a highly trained empty holster carrier, have a permit for this empty holster and it is registered.

Last edited:

MilitaryMike

I might have called the police in the parking lot over being threatened by a man with a gun in the library who also was sexually harassing me. That would make an awesome lawsuit!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey 5-O! Jump back!! I am a highly trained empty holster carrier, have a permit for this empty holster and it is registered.
LOL - you all made my morning - needed a good laugh.

I might have called the police in the parking lot over being threatened by a man with a gun in the library who also was sexually harassing me. That would make an awesome lawsuit!
Your point is valid - when someone accosting me reaches for/touches their gun, I do feel threatened whether LEO/security or not. In this case use of deadly force clearly should NOT have been on the table.

Vegassteve

Good letter Steve,

I would use the encounter to ask this:

What law substantiates the sign on your door?

I have done that Dave. In the most recent email I sent before this encounter I asked that of the head of the County library system. No response yet. This is from the PDF on the library website entitled Library Rules Of Conduct. Firearms are prohibited as outlined in NRS 202.3673.

Of course that NRS only applies to CC.

AnakinsKid

I'd report it to the police as just that. And if the responding officer tries to tell you that the guard having his hand on his revolver wasn't a threat, ask the officer what would happen to you if you did that while talking in a disrespectful manner to Metro's officers.

Vegassteve

And a response from the staff. I took the time to respond to him as well about the OC and NRS.

I am responding to your e-mail that you sent on May 26, 2011 as I oversee public services for the Library District. I have investigated the situation that occurred at the Rainbow Library and understand from the guard, who you encountered, that the interaction between you both did become somewhat heated when confronted about your holster. I am sorry you were offended by the interaction. Though I was not present and the events as you relay them differ from the security officer's, I have informed the security company that we contract with, Allied Barton of the situation so that it can be addressed with their staff and hopefully similar interactions, that may occur in the future, can be handled in a more productive manner for all those involved.

In the future, I would ask that if you feel staff or security is treating you unfairly, that you ask to speak to the person in charge. It is much easier to handle these situations at the time they occur and with all parties present.

Thank you again for contacting the District with your concerns.

Robb Morss
Deputy Director, COO
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
7060 W. Windmill Lane
Las Vegas, NV 89113

Vegassteve

My response.

First thank you very much for the quick response. I have no doubt you have heard 2 different stories. I understand in can be very difficult when not present for the incidents. I would like to call to your attention to another issue since you do oversee this area. And that is the NRS covering public buildings. As stated in the Library rules of conduct.

Firearms are prohibited as outlined in NRS 202.3673

I hope you would be aware that this NRS only covers conceal carry. The cities of Boulder, Henderson and the DMV of Nevada have recognized this recently, and changed or are in the process of changing signs to read that this pertains to conceal carry only. Those of us and, there are many in Nevada, who open carry would be exempt from this. I have been in contact with Ms Goodrich on this matter but she has not responded in some time. What this means is that if I had carried my pistol that day I would have been within the law. I would hope you will move to have the signage changed and also inform the staff. If you have any questions on this matter I would be happy to send you the letters from the various cities and DMV that have assured us of this, so that you may contact them to confirm this.

AmbushBug

If they keep engaging in reasonable discourse, they'll make it that much more difficult to develop sufficient outrage to assemble a group to go peacefully and lawfully OC there!

My library card is due for yearly renewal, so maybe they'll stop talking at you or make some outrageous assertion in an email, so I have a good excuse to go to the library. Seems the range is taking all my spare time these days ...

Badger Johnson

Why not ask for a face-to-face with you the guard and the director and/or the guard's superior. Tell them you have recorded the incident on your phone (no need to mention you had erased it, right?). See if you can subtly provoke the guard to do it again.

Suggest liberal use of blowing him kisses or something to that effect.

MilitaryMike

I would have asked her how she expected me to ask to speak with someone in charge when I had a security guard asking me to leave and threatening me with deadly force (hand on gun).