• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

does this seem like a problem to anybody?

silver

Sec. 5841. Registration of firearms

(a) Central registry.:The Secretary shall maintain a central registry of all firearms in the United States which are not in the possession or under the control of the United States.This registry shall be known as the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.The registry shall include:

(1) identification of the firearm;

(2) date of registration;and

(3) identification and address of person entitled to possession of the firearm.

(b) By whom registered.:Each manufacturer, importer, and maker shall register each firearm he manufactures, imports, or makes.Each firearm transferred shall be registered to the transferee by the transferor.

(c) How registered.:Each manufacturer shall notify the Secretary of the manufacture of a firearm in such manner as may by regulations be prescribed and such notification shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section.Each importer, maker, and transferor of a firearm shall, prior to importing, making, or transferring a firearm, obtain authorization in such manner as required by this chapter or regulations issued thereunder to import, make, or transfer the firearm, and such authorization shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section.

(d) Firearms registered on effective date of this act.:A person shown as possessing a firearm by the records maintained by the Secretary pursuant to the National Firearms Act in force on the day immediately prior to the effective date of the National Firearms Act of 1968 shall be considered to have registered under this section the firearms in his possession which are disclosed by that record as being in his possession.

(e) Proof of registration.:A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#Sec. 5841

PavePusher

Sec. 5841. Registration of firearms

(a) Central registry.:The Secretary shall maintain a central registry of all firearms in the United States which are not in the possession or under the control of the United States.This registry shall be known as the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.The registry shall include:

(1) identification of the firearm;

(2) date of registration;and

(3) identification and address of person entitled to possession of the firearm.

(b) By whom registered.:Each manufacturer, importer, and maker shall register each firearm he manufactures, imports, or makes.Each firearm transferred shall be registered to the transferee by the transferor.

(c) How registered.:Each manufacturer shall notify the Secretary of the manufacture of a firearm in such manner as may by regulations be prescribed and such notification shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section.Each importer, maker, and transferor of a firearm shall, prior to importing, making, or transferring a firearm, obtain authorization in such manner as required by this chapter or regulations issued thereunder to import, make, or transfer the firearm, and such authorization shall effect the registration of the firearm required by this section.

(d) Firearms registered on effective date of this act.:A person shown as possessing a firearm by the records maintained by the Secretary pursuant to the National Firearms Act in force on the day immediately prior to the effective date of the National Firearms Act of 1968 shall be considered to have registered under this section the firearms in his possession which are disclosed by that record as being in his possession.

(e) Proof of registration.:A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#Sec. 5841

Ummm, did you see that it falls under "Title II: Machine Guns"?

silver

Ummm, did you see that it falls under "Title II: Machine Guns"?

No, i just stumbled across it, but thanks for clarifying, thats why i asked.... i dont see it for normal guns on that page now that i looked a little harder... wish i could get an automatic though :(

I was just wondering b/c the original of form 4473 is submitted the atf, but what happens to it after that? is everybody recorded? is there a similar registration of serial numbers to owners as title 2 firearms? seems as though such an action would be violating at least a right to privacy. and in recent news it irks me that we have that gunrunner debacle going on...im more worried about the atf keeping track of guns than my fellow normal citizens :/

Last edited:

PavePusher

No, i just stumbled across it, but thanks for clarifying, thats why i asked.... i dont see it for normal guns on that page now that i looked a little harder... wish i could get an automatic though :(

I was just wondering b/c the original of form 4473 is submitted the atf, but what happens to it after that? is everybody recorded? is there a similar registration of serial numbers to owners as title 2 firearms? seems as though such an action would be violating at least a right to privacy. and in recent news it irks me that we have that gunrunner debacle going on...im more worried about the atf keeping track of guns than my fellow normal citizens :/

Not quite. The 4473 is kept by the dealer until s/he shuts down their business. Then all the 4473's they have accumulated get shipped to the BATFE. They are supposed to warehouse them, but I'm not certain that is what actually happens. Hopefully, someone else can offer up additional info.

silver

Its not ignorance of the law, im very well aware of the laws regarding NFA items, ive spent quite a bit of time looking at them believe it or not. I was merely referring to cost. i cannot afford to spend 10-20K to get an automatic receiver that i would want.

i should have said "i wish i could afford an automatic though" i am also aware that while i reside in WA at college it would actually be illegal, felonious i believe, to own an automatic firearm. however it wold be perfectly legal in my home state of idaho, naturally, provied i followed the atf regulations :cry: