• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ppp

gsxrman

so i got a pistol purchase permit today, long story short the people at the sheriffs' office were convinced that I needed to be 21. even the "gun" guy told me at first that it was a misdemeanor for me to even posses a handgun at 20 years old. after they told me and insisted that it was impossible and about an hour of their researching and even a call to who they said was a previous assistant attorney general; they gave me the permit w/o so much as seeing my ID.

is this normal? I know that i do look young even for 20, but who's to say that some older looking 16 year old doesnt go in and get one of these permits?

EDIT: i got the permit to buy from an individual.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

Sounds like the sherrif of your county doesn't know what they are talking about. They should ask for ID when applying and when you pick up the permits, not only to verify your age, but to verify you residency status. You could have been a resident of another state for all they knew.

I hope we get rid of these silly PPPs soon.

Smith45acp

I don't expect every LEO to be an expert on every statute.

BUT, it is the duty of the Sheriff's office to deal with CHP's and PPP's, so it is pretty irritating to me when they don't know squat about it.

As to their not even looking at your ID, yes they obviously should have.

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It is unlikely that they were ignorant of it. As with all LEO dealings, they often lie to convince you to give up your rights. You having a gun makes their penises seem smaller by your demonstration that 1) it's no big deal 2) guns shouldn't be about ego problems. They didn't want you to have one and wanted to convince you that you couldn't have one. If you fell for it, they get their way and can strut about acting big and bad without anyone to prove that there is something very wrong with that picture. The call to the Attorney's Office was most likely to see if you could cause them trouble over it. When they found out that you could indeed make their lives very unpleasant on this issue, they did their duty instead of their ego.

nobama

Am I missing something? I thought you had to be 21 to purchase a handgun in NC. Does that not mean to get a ppp? Just wondering. It would seem there is no law or age requirement for the ppp, but only for the purchase of the handgun? Interesting.

USNRCorpsman

Am I missing something? I thought you had to be 21 to purchase a handgun in NC. Does that not mean to get a ppp? Just wondering. It would seem there is no law or age requirement for the ppp, but only for the purchase of the handgun? Interesting.

North Carolina statutes do not address age for purchase or reciept of a handgun (other than the age of majority). A federally licensed firearms dealer may not sell a handgun to a person whom the dealer has reason to believe is less than 21 years of age [USC 18 section 922(b)(1)]. It does not prohibit individual sales by non- FFL holders.