• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodmans in Green Bay

deadlifter

So Im thinking of doing my first open carry tomorrow. I still havent done it yet ( I know, I know).

I was going to go to Woodmans, but they sell alcohol. They do sell it in a separate area of the store though that is through a set of sliding doors. You pay for it separate from your groceries as well.

Would this be acceptable to OC, or would I need written permission from Woodmans?

AaronS

So Im thinking of doing my first open carry tomorrow. I still havent done it yet ( I know, I know).

I was going to go to Woodmans, but they sell alcohol. They do sell it in a separate area of the store though that is through a set of sliding doors. You pay for it separate from your groceries as well.

Would this be acceptable to OC, or would I need written permission from Woodmans?

A store that sells booze is fine. I carry at the booze store all the time.
It is NOT sold to be consumed on site, so it is all good.

deadlifter

Thanks!

So for clarification as I was wondering how folks were carrying at places that sell alcohol, you can carry there as long is its a place where you cant consume it, IE the liquor store, grocery store, gas station?

paul@paul-fisher.com

Thanks!

So for clarification as I was wondering how folks were carrying at places that sell alcohol, you can carry there as long is its a place where you cant consume it, IE the liquor store, grocery store, gas station?

Correct, the law says you cannot carry in a facility that has a class-b license without permission of the person holding the license. Class-b licenses are issued to facilities that serve alcohol by the drink, basically a bar, restaurants that serve liquor, such as Chili's.

MKEgal

Everyone here has told you rightly, but always learn the laws for yourself.
Look under the 'legal' tab of www.wisconsincarry.org for relevant Wisconsin laws.
Follow the link for 941.237 (which I also just linked to there) to read the law about carrying where alcohol is sold for consumption.

You can also search WI statutes by number or word/phrase here.

I've never had a problem in Woodman's or Fleet Farm.
(Avoid Farm&Fleet, though - they're anti-gun!)

deadlifter

I have the laws in my sig and motofixxer has everything in a single thread (stickied at the top).

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rrying-(OC)-In-WI-Here-s-what-you-should-know

I know you do. I've read over them several times, and watched the videos. I want to make sure I know exactly what Im doing, and not supposed to be doing, which is why I asked. I was having a hard time understanding the class B liquor and on premise wording, but its clear now.

Thanks for the work putting it all together.

protias

I know you do. I've read over them several times, and watched the videos. I want to make sure I know exactly what Im doing, and not supposed to be doing, which is why I asked. I was having a hard time understanding the class B liquor and on premise wording, but its clear now.

Thanks for the work putting it all together.
That's what we are all here for. :)

deadlifter

Well today was my first time OC'ing. It went good. I first went to radio shack, holster only, to get a voice recorder.

Then it was on to Walmart to get some supplies and cupcakes for my 4 year olds birthday for his day care class. I dont remember the last time I was so nervous walking somewhere. Probably to the principals office in high school lol. It went well though.

Then it was off to Kmart, then subway, then to Fleet Farm and finally Woodmans.

I would guess %99 of the people I came into contact with didnt even notice I was carrying. I had a a serpa blackhawk belt holster, filled that with a Springfield 1911 .45, and a tucked in shirt, so its not like it wasnt hard to see.

The people that did see it, didnt even really look twice at it.

I'd like to thank all the folks here who have worked hard trying to get our rights back in our hands, and for putting all of the information on a great site.

Pyro01

Next place you need to go to is some place like a Culver's or Subway and eat in. Or get a coffee at a starbucks, anyone know Caribou Coffee's stance on carrying a firearm?

MKEgal

deadlifter said:
... radio shack, Walmart, Kmart, then subway, then to Fleet Farm and finally Woodmans...
And most people didn't notice.
So much for the anti's & their pet judge who say that OC scares people.

I don't remember the last time I was so nervous walking somewhere.
Probably to the principals office in high school lol.
:lol: Even meek little me made that trek a time or two. More in middle school than high school, though. By high school the mean kids mostly left me alone, so I didn't have to fight back any more.

Claytron

Woodmans is good to go as is fleet farm :) have fun

Thats why i carry a gun..... to have fun! I cant wait to go out to a bunch of different stores and see if anyone pays attention to me! Yippeeeee!

Seriously guys, carry because its smart not because its "fun"...

qball54208

Deadlifter, I OC nearly EVERYWHERE in Green Bay, and to date have not been asked to leave any business.
I had spent on a number of occasions chatting w/ppl in various stores and for some reason it hardly gets noticed. Kids most especially notice and am asked quite frequently by the kids if I'm a cop.
For the adults who ask, I counter with, "It would make no difference if I was" A closed ended statement!
I learned through a "reliable anonymous" source that the GBPD has been informed some of their officers "this individual probably knows more about the Legality of OC than probably any of you"
Which disturbs me greatly! LEO should know as much, if not more than US!
So, as it goes, you should have little to no issues. However, a voice recorder is a great tool!
PM me if you want to OC in the area, would be nice to put a face w/a name!

MKEgal

qball54208 said:
I learned through a "reliable anonymous" source that the GBPD has informed some of their officers "this individual probably knows more about the Legality of OC than probably any of you"
LOL!!!! That is funny.
Do you know if they specifically meant you, or OCers in general?
But yes, why wouldn't they train officers better; maybe have you do a seminar for them?
Have to hold it at a non-gov't building, though. :p