• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plymouth Fleet Farm : Handguns for sale

32HR MAG

My brother was in Fleet Farm in Plymouth and asked what they had stacked up in the aisle . Employee told him handguns . Said they were going to start selling a selection of them .

safcrkr

My brother was in Fleet Farm in Plymouth and asked what they had stacked up in the aisle . Employee told him handguns . Said they were going to start selling a selection of them .

My 1st reaction was "cool, it's about time"... then reality set in, & I realized that the nearest Fleet Farm to me is 60+ miles, and because of the dumbass 48hr waiting period (WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED IN ANY NEW CARRY LAW) I'd have to make two trips (or drive a total of 240 miles) to buy one there. My truck gets 15 mpg. 16 gallons X $4.00 = $64.00 in gas. No thanks.

Last edited:

protias

Oh yah. Mills = Good. My bad.
If you've ever watched Super Troopers, at 1:24, there is the scene where the troopers find the locals running protection for the drug guys:

http://www.cswap.com/2002/Super_Troopers/cap/en/25fps/a/01_24

So, wait. The local cops are selling
Afghani grass to the Canadians?

1:24:08​
-a**holes!
-[ Thorny ] No, Rabbit,
it's comin' in from Canada.
1:24:10​
Canadian grass. Ah!
1:24:13​
-a**holes.
- No!
1:24:15​
The local mothers are
running protection for' em.

1:24:19​
- [ Sighs ]
- Oh, I guess I'm the a**hole.

The last one reminded me of this. lol

littlewolf

My 1st reaction was "cool, it's about time"... then reality set in, & I realized that the nearest Fleet Farm to me is 60+ miles, and because of the dumb ass 48hr waiting period (WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED IN ANY NEW CARRY LAW) I'd have to make two trips (or drive a total of 240 miles) to buy one there. My truck gets 15 mpg. 16 gallons X $4.00 = $64.00 in gas. No thanks.

As a FFL holder your post got me thinking,as of now if you live outside of WI and have a CC permit you do not need a NICS check for a firearm purchase . since NICS is a federal thing ,if end up with a permit option WI will have to get in line with the feds ,at least on long guns and maybe on handguns. I think the DOJ is gonna have to change things.Waiting periods should disappear with the optional permit.

safcrkr

As a FFL holder your post got me thinking,as of now if you live outside of WI and have a CC permit you do not need a NICS check for a firearm purchase . since NICS is a federal thing ,if end up with a permit option WI will have to get in line with the feds ,at least on long guns and maybe on handguns. I think the DOJ is gonna have to change things.Waiting periods should disappear with the optional permit.

That's not always the case. My daughter lives in MN, has a MN carry permit, yet when she went to a Dick's Sporting Goods to buy a 12ga pump shotgun for her home, she still had to do the NICS check. She showed her permit, and they said that skipping NICS in MN only applied for handguns and "assault weapons". Then she got "delayed" by NICS and had to come back 2 days later to pick it up. The guy at Dicks told her that delays happen quite often to those who have a carry permit (I don't believe there's any connection). This was in the summer of 2009. I found it kinda ironic... in WI, she'd have to wait 48 hrs for a handgun, but in MN, she could've walked out the door with a pistol after paying for it and showing her carry permit (there would've been no delay if there was no NICS). She had to wait 2 days for a shotgun in MN.

apierce918

I had my CPL in Michigan, and they still run a NICS check, you just don't have to get a permission slip from the sheriff's dept first.

apjonas

I had my CPL in Michigan, and they still run a NICS check, you just don't have to get a permission slip from the sheriff's dept first.

A current MI CPL qualifies for NICS exemption (as does the Permit to Purchase) for the Feds. This must be some weird state issue.

In Minnesota, the Permit to Carry does not qualify (not sure what the deficiency is*) for any firearms purchase but it does exempt you from having to obtain a Permit to Purchase (for handguns).

*Usually has to do with not checking some particular database before issuing.

In WI, the waiting period is a separate state issue. Legislative action would be required to remove it (whether for permittees or for everyone). But since DOJ does handgun checks beyond NICS, it would probably be retained at least for non-permittees.

BROKENSPROKET

I think the store employee was joking with your brother. Think about it. Do you really think they would have boxes of hadguns piled up in the aisle. Sounds like a security nightmare.

Interceptor_Knight

In WI, the waiting period is a separate state issue. Legislative action would be required to remove it (whether for permittees or for everyone). But since DOJ does handgun checks beyond NICS, it would probably be retained at least for non-permittees.

As I mentioned before, there is no Federal waiting period requirement. WI could drop the DOJ checks altogether, use NICS and save money.

32HR MAG

Handgun display cases

I think the store employee was joking with your brother. Think about it. Do you really think they would have boxes of hadguns piled up in the aisle. Sounds like a security nightmare.

Talked to my brother yesterday . He said not handguns ,but display cases for handguns. sorry

littlewolf

That's not always the case. My daughter lives in MN, has a MN carry permit, yet when she went to a Dick's Sporting Goods to buy a 12ga pump shotgun for her home, she still had to do the NICS check. She showed her permit, and they said that skipping NICS in MN only applied for handguns and "assault weapons". Then she got "delayed" by NICS and had to come back 2 days later to pick it up. The guy at Dicks told her that delays happen quite often to those who have a carry permit (I don't believe there's any connection). This was in the summer of 2009. I found it kinda ironic... in WI, she'd have to wait 48 hrs for a handgun, but in MN, she could've walked out the door with a pistol after paying for it and showing her carry permit (there would've been no delay if there was no NICS). She had to wait 2 days for a shotgun in MN.

I am not familiar with MN. laws but on the 4473 box 23 [ no NICS check was required because the buyer has a valid permit from the State where the transfer is to take place,which qualifies as an exemption to NICS (see Instructions for Question 23) ] I believe the clerks sometimes don't understand the rules and you can't really blame them, for example I purchased a longgun from Mills Fleet farm I gave the clerk a copy of my ffl and was told thats no good here, I filled out the 4473 ,she called it in and got an ear full from the NICS opperator for wasting her time.
You have to fill out the paperwork but do not have to call it in as long as you have the license #'s in the right place.
Every State has somting different with hand guns in WI you fill out a 4473 but don't call it in ,and fill out a State hand gun form, call it in and 48 hr wait, some States only do NICS for hand guns and long guns