Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Your recorders and other digital devices

  1. #1
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872

    Your recorders and other digital devices

    Ok what is everyone using for there recording devices or other digital equipment. I am currently using a Olympus digital voice recorder with a tie mic clipped to my shirt collar but am wondering what others out there have find beneficial.
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  2. #2
    Regular Member Aryk45XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    513
    I have been looking for a new recorder. The mini DVR and spy cam are not reliable. My dashcam is OK, but I want to know what your setups are and how reliable they are. I can't afford to be cheap anymore.

  3. #3
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Cool iPhone

    I use a iPhone 3GS and have installed a app called Qik that streams the video/audio to a site on the internet. That way, even if my phone gets 'lost' or the video deleted I still have a copy of it.

    I've tested it and it seems to work fine, but have never had an encounter I needed to record.

  4. #4
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991

    Qik

    Qik works on droids too.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897
    I also have an Olympus digital voice recorder, but don't have a tie mic. I should probably invest in one.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410
    QIK works great on 3g.

  7. #7
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    QIK works great on 3g.
    I've always felt that any system that could keep the recording on a remote device, or have it sent before anyone could delete it from the local device would be great. That way a recording of any encounter couldn't magically disappear should it be taken from you for any reason and tampered with. Old tape type recorders were often prone to missing tape cartridges.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    QIK was not reliable for me and I stopped using it, sometimes it would just stop for no reason.

    I have a audio recorder on my android and a 2-step security to get to the main screen, so unless you pull the battery, you can't shut it off or stop the recording.

    I also have an Olympus audio recorder in my truck with a external mic that records quite well.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694
    I carry an OLYMPUS dvr model VN-3200PC in my shirt pocket. I should get one of those tie mikes but I am so good at procrastinating that I haven't yet. Maybe one of these days I will.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    I use a iPhone 3GS and have installed a app called Qik that streams the video/audio to a site on the internet. That way, even if my phone gets 'lost' or the video deleted I still have a copy of it.

    I've tested it and it seems to work fine, but have never had an encounter I needed to record.
    I like using Qik on my iPhone but it's annoying how you have to have the screen on all the time for it to work. Once you lock the screen the video pauses.

  11. #11
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Qik works on droids too.
    With Qik won't I still have to be holding the phone up the enter encounter? Do they have any attachment options
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  12. #12
    Regular Member sigfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Semi-closed account
    Posts
    47
    I love qik and have been using it for years before I switched to my Windows Phone 7 device. I don't like recorders that I have to hold. I am considering a Looxcie because it looks like a bluetooth device for a cell phone and it looks where I'm looking. It leaves my hands free to do as I please and I can leave it running all the time (it records on a 5-hour loop). My only concerns are a couple of issues.
    1) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device before I can stop recording, I may not get out of jail before it writes over the incident.
    2) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device, he can always destroy the video himself (no password security AFAIK).

    There is a mode that allows it to stream live to a website with Android and iPhone but I haven't seen it work yet to give my opinion on how well that works.

    Ultimately, I want a recorder that keeps everything in the cloud/on the web/etc so it can't be touched. I want a device I don't have to activate. It needs to have a long recording time so I can run it all the time (low battery, high storage capacity). I don't want much do I?
    Semi-retired account.

  13. #13
    Regular Member xxx.jakk.xxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, United States
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by sigfan View Post
    I love qik and have been using it for years before I switched to my Windows Phone 7 device. I don't like recorders that I have to hold. I am considering a Looxcie because it looks like a bluetooth device for a cell phone and it looks where I'm looking. It leaves my hands free to do as I please and I can leave it running all the time (it records on a 5-hour loop). My only concerns are a couple of issues.
    1) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device before I can stop recording, I may not get out of jail before it writes over the incident.
    2) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device, he can always destroy the video himself (no password security AFAIK).

    There is a mode that allows it to stream live to a website with Android and iPhone but I haven't seen it work yet to give my opinion on how well that works.

    Ultimately, I want a recorder that keeps everything in the cloud/on the web/etc so it can't be touched. I want a device I don't have to activate. It needs to have a long recording time so I can run it all the time (low battery, high storage capacity). I don't want much do I?
    Looxcie looks pretty good. I just checked out their website and the video quality looks really good (Not that I am a judge of video quality.) The only problem I have is it looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable to wear. I have a bluetooth headset and it is pretty heavy even without the camera on it. Also, something I saw on the website...
    "$199.99
    Like us on Facebook for $40 off and free shipping."
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

    "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

    “It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

    Molōn labe!

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    I bought one of the latest Olympus models had no idea they had external mics you can plug in......going to look into that. The sound is muffled otherwise.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member fire suppressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kitsap County
    Posts
    872
    Like I said I have a tie mic I clip up to my collar that works great! I got it at radioshack for about 10 bucks. The only thing the be aware of is the mic is battery powered with its own on/off switch. The battery offers great clarity even 15 feet away from my tests but you also have to remember to turn the mic on otherwise you won't get anything. Overall a very worthy edition to your recorder and something I strongly recommend
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    Like I said I have a tie mic I clip up to my collar that works great! I got it at radioshack for about 10 bucks. The only thing the be aware of is the mic is battery powered with its own on/off switch. The battery offers great clarity even 15 feet away from my tests but you also have to remember to turn the mic on otherwise you won't get anything. Overall a very worthy edition to your recorder and something I strongly recommend
    Thanks I'll take a look for that.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Sony ICD-P620 digital recorder carried in my double mag case.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  18. #18
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Sony ICD-P620 digital recorder carried in my double mag case.
    make sure you don't try to reload you pistol with the recorder in a high pressure situation!

    I have a Droid2 that I keep in my pocket. To actually record whats going on I have a cheap pair of ear buds that includes the microphone. Work great for recording without anyone knowing it but me. You can also use the ear bud/microphone combo with the phone.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694
    This thread got me to thinking that maybe I best get a tie microphone so I went to radio shack where I bought my voice recorder. They only had one microphone and they wanted $30 for it. That's way out of my price range.
    So where can I get a decent microphone at a reasonable price?

  20. #20
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    This thread got me to thinking that maybe I best get a tie microphone so I went to radio shack where I bought my voice recorder. They only had one microphone and they wanted $30 for it. That's way out of my price range.
    So where can I get a decent microphone at a reasonable price?
    How about a PC microphone? Some computers come with one, many do not - you may have one stuffed away in a drawer somewhere. You can still purchase one, though, and see if it works.

    Here is one for $5:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0435&CatId=144

    Here's one for $16:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4550&CatId=144

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694
    Thank you. Of the two you listed, the $5 one is much better because it is omnidirectional (all directions) not unidirectional (one direction). Too bad the cheaper one lacks the needed accessories the more expensive one has.

  22. #22
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    I use a Kodak Playsport.

    It is simple to use. It is rugged and waterproof. I know. I accidentally washed mine and found it in the dryer making a heck of a noise.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  23. #23
    Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    209

    What Model Olympus?

    There are various models of Olympus DVR's and other brands. If you care to, you can go back, edit your post and tell us the model you posted about. What DVR model is you're post describing?
    Last edited by EricDailey X-NRA; 06-08-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: redundant expression
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

    Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

  24. #24
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    one of the concerns i had was how to carry it. i read of someone that hung it around the neck. and also security, i have read some have ways of locking. how does carrying in a pocket or under the shirt effect the sound ?
    Last edited by papa bear; 06-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    I use an Olympus WS400 audio recorder and hang it from a lanyard around my neck. Gets good sound through a shirt etc as long as your not moving a lot. It takes 1 AAA battery and lasts about 12 hrs recording. Video would be great, but the shorter recording time and turning it on and off is a hassle.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •