• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your recorders and other digital devices

fire suppressor

Ok what is everyone using for there recording devices or other digital equipment. I am currently using a Olympus digital voice recorder with a tie mic clipped to my shirt collar but am wondering what others out there have find beneficial.

Aryk45XD

I have been looking for a new recorder. The mini DVR and spy cam are not reliable. My dashcam is OK, but I want to know what your setups are and how reliable they are. I can't afford to be cheap anymore. :)

ARADCOM

iPhone

I use a iPhone 3GS and have installed a app called Qik that streams the video/audio to a site on the internet. That way, even if my phone gets 'lost' or the video deleted I still have a copy of it.

I've tested it and it seems to work fine, but have never had an encounter I needed to record.

amlevin

QIK works great on 3g.

I've always felt that any system that could keep the recording on a remote device, or have it sent before anyone could delete it from the local device would be great. That way a recording of any encounter couldn't magically disappear should it be taken from you for any reason and tampered with. Old tape type recorders were often prone to missing tape cartridges.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
QIK was not reliable for me and I stopped using it, sometimes it would just stop for no reason.

I have a audio recorder on my android and a 2-step security to get to the main screen, so unless you pull the battery, you can't shut it off or stop the recording.

I also have an Olympus audio recorder in my truck with a external mic that records quite well.

jeeper1

I carry an OLYMPUS dvr model VN-3200PC in my shirt pocket. I should get one of those tie mikes but I am so good at procrastinating that I haven't yet. Maybe one of these days I will.

kirkosaurus

I use a iPhone 3GS and have installed a app called Qik that streams the video/audio to a site on the internet. That way, even if my phone gets 'lost' or the video deleted I still have a copy of it.

I've tested it and it seems to work fine, but have never had an encounter I needed to record.

I like using Qik on my iPhone but it's annoying how you have to have the screen on all the time for it to work. Once you lock the screen the video pauses.

sigfan

I love qik and have been using it for years before I switched to my Windows Phone 7 device. I don't like recorders that I have to hold. I am considering a Looxcie because it looks like a bluetooth device for a cell phone and it looks where I'm looking. It leaves my hands free to do as I please and I can leave it running all the time (it records on a 5-hour loop). My only concerns are a couple of issues.
1) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device before I can stop recording, I may not get out of jail before it writes over the incident.
2) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device, he can always destroy the video himself (no password security AFAIK).

There is a mode that allows it to stream live to a website with Android and iPhone but I haven't seen it work yet to give my opinion on how well that works.

Ultimately, I want a recorder that keeps everything in the cloud/on the web/etc so it can't be touched. I want a device I don't have to activate. It needs to have a long recording time so I can run it all the time (low battery, high storage capacity). I don't want much do I? :)

xxx.jakk.xxx

I love qik and have been using it for years before I switched to my Windows Phone 7 device. I don't like recorders that I have to hold. I am considering a Looxcie because it looks like a bluetooth device for a cell phone and it looks where I'm looking. It leaves my hands free to do as I please and I can leave it running all the time (it records on a 5-hour loop). My only concerns are a couple of issues.
1) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device before I can stop recording, I may not get out of jail before it writes over the incident.
2) If an officer arrests me on trumped up charges and takes my device, he can always destroy the video himself (no password security AFAIK).

There is a mode that allows it to stream live to a website with Android and iPhone but I haven't seen it work yet to give my opinion on how well that works.

Ultimately, I want a recorder that keeps everything in the cloud/on the web/etc so it can't be touched. I want a device I don't have to activate. It needs to have a long recording time so I can run it all the time (low battery, high storage capacity). I don't want much do I? :)

Looxcie looks pretty good. I just checked out their website and the video quality looks really good (Not that I am a judge of video quality.) The only problem I have is it looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable to wear. I have a bluetooth headset and it is pretty heavy even without the camera on it. Also, something I saw on the website...
"$199.99
Like us on Facebook for $40 off and free shipping."

fire suppressor

Like I said I have a tie mic I clip up to my collar that works great! I got it at radioshack for about 10 bucks. The only thing the be aware of is the mic is battery powered with its own on/off switch. The battery offers great clarity even 15 feet away from my tests but you also have to remember to turn the mic on otherwise you won't get anything. Overall a very worthy edition to your recorder and something I strongly recommend

sudden valley gunner

Like I said I have a tie mic I clip up to my collar that works great! I got it at radioshack for about 10 bucks. The only thing the be aware of is the mic is battery powered with its own on/off switch. The battery offers great clarity even 15 feet away from my tests but you also have to remember to turn the mic on otherwise you won't get anything. Overall a very worthy edition to your recorder and something I strongly recommend

Thanks I'll take a look for that.

sraacke

Sony ICD-P620 digital recorder carried in my double mag case.
magrecorderpouch.jpg

dmatting

Sony ICD-P620 digital recorder carried in my double mag case.
magrecorderpouch.jpg

make sure you don't try to reload you pistol with the recorder in a high pressure situation!

I have a Droid2 that I keep in my pocket. To actually record whats going on I have a cheap pair of ear buds that includes the microphone. Work great for recording without anyone knowing it but me. You can also use the ear bud/microphone combo with the phone.

jeeper1

This thread got me to thinking that maybe I best get a tie microphone so I went to radio shack where I bought my voice recorder. They only had one microphone and they wanted $30 for it. That's way out of my price range.
So where can I get a decent microphone at a reasonable price?

dmatting

This thread got me to thinking that maybe I best get a tie microphone so I went to radio shack where I bought my voice recorder. They only had one microphone and they wanted $30 for it. That's way out of my price range.
So where can I get a decent microphone at a reasonable price?

How about a PC microphone? Some computers come with one, many do not - you may have one stuffed away in a drawer somewhere. You can still purchase one, though, and see if it works.

Here is one for $5:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=170435&CatId=144

Here's one for $16:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3804550&CatId=144