Thread: traveling from GA..need help

traveling from GA..need help

the way the laws are written do nothing but confuse me, i know NC honors GA permits but does that mean i can carry concealed in my vehicle or does it have to be out in the open regardless? any help is def appreciated!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shenanigans View Post
    the way the laws are written do nothing but confuse me, i know NC honors GA permits but does that mean i can carry concealed in my vehicle or does it have to be out in the open regardless? any help is def appreciated!
    Follow the laws of the state in which you are standing. In this case, NC laws pertaining to CC and OC are the ones that count. Where's the confusion?

http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Shenanigans,

Welcome to the forum. I can TOTALLY understand why you might be confused by NC CC law. I've lived here for 5 years, and I'm still looking for straight answers on certain issues...

A good place to start is the NC DOJs website--it lists the basic CC limitations (but doesn't say anything about OC--that's what OCDO is for!)

http://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-E...ciprocity.aspx

If you scroll to the bottom of his page, there is a link to download the "North Carolina Firearms Laws" booklet. This is produced by the Attorney General and has a lot of good info for CCing in NC including a comprehensive FAQ, and lots of discussions about odd situations.

As a general rule, you can OC anywhere you can CC in NC, and vice-versa. Meaning, where CC is prohibited, generally, so is OC. The one exception is banks. CC is prohibited in ALL banks in NC. But OC is legal in banks as long as the bank isn't posted.

As far as your question, you CAN CC in your car if you have a permit that is recognized. One thing to remember is that in NC, we have a "duty to inform", so if you get pulled over and are CCing, the best thing to do is hand the LEO your drivers license AND your CC permit (with the permit on top) and tell them FIRST THING something like "I need to inform you that I have a valid GA concealed carry permit, and I am currently carrying". As a general rule, most LEOs will be cool with that, and will just tell you to keep your hand on the wheel...

But if you keep your vehicles tags and lights in order, and don't drive like an a$$hat, you won't get pulled over in the first place...

Enjoy your time in NC and good luck.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964