• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling from GA..need help

shenanigans

the way the laws are written do nothing but confuse me, i know NC honors GA permits but does that mean i can carry concealed in my vehicle or does it have to be out in the open regardless? any help is def appreciated!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Dreamer

Shenanigans,

Welcome to the forum. I can TOTALLY understand why you might be confused by NC CC law. I've lived here for 5 years, and I'm still looking for straight answers on certain issues... :uhoh:

A good place to start is the NC DOJs website--it lists the basic CC limitations (but doesn't say anything about OC--that's what OCDO is for!)

http://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-...ment-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

If you scroll to the bottom of his page, there is a link to download the "North Carolina Firearms Laws" booklet. This is produced by the Attorney General and has a lot of good info for CCing in NC including a comprehensive FAQ, and lots of discussions about odd situations.

As a general rule, you can OC anywhere you can CC in NC, and vice-versa. Meaning, where CC is prohibited, generally, so is OC. The one exception is banks. CC is prohibited in ALL banks in NC. But OC is legal in banks as long as the bank isn't posted.

As far as your question, you CAN CC in your car if you have a permit that is recognized. One thing to remember is that in NC, we have a "duty to inform", so if you get pulled over and are CCing, the best thing to do is hand the LEO your drivers license AND your CC permit (with the permit on top) and tell them FIRST THING something like "I need to inform you that I have a valid GA concealed carry permit, and I am currently carrying". As a general rule, most LEOs will be cool with that, and will just tell you to keep your hand on the wheel...

But if you keep your vehicles tags and lights in order, and don't drive like an a$$hat, you won't get pulled over in the first place... ;)

Enjoy your time in NC and good luck.