Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DISARMED what now????

Exclamation DISARMED what now????

Disarmed walking, 4 cops got names, took my gun for 5 mins, talked to me. What now??
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Founder's Club Member
    Call user (Dan Hawes, Virginia Legal Defense): 540-347-2430 and have a chat with him.
    http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/

Otherwise keep your yapper shut until you talk to him.

*Mark Matthews (VA Litigator, Matthews Law Group) is another trustworthy resource: (Office Line 888-405-3153)
    (Direct Line 804-339-6138)
    http://thematthewslawgroup.com/Home_Page.html
    Last edited by jmelvin; 05-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Disarmed walking, 4 cops got names, took my gun for 5 mins, talked to me. What now??
    Well, a little more detail would probably help. But I'm in Arizona, so what do I know... 8>)

Founder's Club Member
    He can add detail as recommended by legal council. For now he needs to get legal council and follow their instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Call user (Dan Hawes, Virginia Legal Defense): 540-347-2430 and have a chat with him.
    http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/

Otherwise keep your yapper shut until you talk to him.

*Mark Matthews (VA Litigator, Matthews Law Group) is another trustworthy resource: 804-339-6138
    http://thematthewslawgroup.com/Home_Page.html
    Thanks! But it just keeps ringing ...?

I am not releasing any more info at this time, do I need to do a FOIA? does this turn into a law suit?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Founder's Club Member
    Who did you call?

I gave you Mark Matthews direct line so that may be why there is no answer. Try this: 888-405-3153

The new number is the office number and hopefully has a secretary.

Who did you call?

I gave you Mark Matthews direct line so that may be why there is no answer. Try this: 888-405-3153

The new number is the office number and hopefully has a secretary.
    I called Dan, because I seen him post alot here.

Founder's Club Member
    I just tried Dan Hawe's number (540-347-2430) and it went directly to voicemail. Give it another shot and leave a message. Make sure you haven't buggered the numbers you're dialing.

Good idea on not releasing any info yet.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 05-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.

I just tried Dan Hawe's number (540-347-2430) and it went directly to voicemail. Give it another shot and leave a message. Make sure you haven't buggered the numbers you're dialing.

Good idea on not releasing any info yet.
    just rings forever no voicemail, trying the other number now.

just rings forever no voicemail, trying the other number now.
    We're coming into a holiday weekend. You may not get a call back until next week. So unless your posting from prison, or have a court date first thing Tuesday morning - I don't think a few days will matter.

Take a deep breath and try to relax.

Founder's Club Member
    I don't know why you can't get through to Dan, but since my phone gets his number PM me your name and phone number and I'll leave him a message to call you.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 05-27-2011 at 12:07 PM.

PM'ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I hope you have the entire encounter on AUDIO Recorder.

I'll also call Dan on his cell and direct him to this thread.
    Last edited by ed; 05-27-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I hope you have the entire encounter on AUDIO Recorder.

I'll also call Dan on his cell and direct him to this thread.
    Thank you!

But I can not release any info at this time.

Mark has a contract with the cops' union, so he automatically would have a conflict of interest in representing you. Probably would extend to even offering advice.

Keep trying to contact User (Dan Hawes) by email and phone and leaving messages on his voicemail if that's all you get. Otherwise, shut up unless your attorney says you can say anything. (Guess you will need to wait till you get an attorney representing you before you can be advised on what you can say. But it keeps you from saying too much/the wrong things.)

As much as folks would like to offer assisatance/advice/guidance/their 2-cents worth of opinion, DO NOT engage in PMs.

stay safe.

What happens to things like this? do they turn into law suits or complaints?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-27-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Keep trying to contact User (Dan Hawes) by email and phone
    Just spoke to Dan. He is aware of the situation now and will be in touch later.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

What happens to things like this? do they turn into law suits or complaints?
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=24&t=345659
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Just spoke to Dan. He is aware of the situation now and will be in touch later.
    Just left a message for him also, thank you.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    For the record I called Dan and left a message shortly after I notified OCholsterOC to send me a PM with his contact info. It's good to hear that he has been reached directly too.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 05-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Best of luck to you, OC...hope that everything works out in your favor.

(and praying that this thread does not turn into 19 pages of rambling nonsense )
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Best of luck to you, OC...hope that everything works out in your favor.

(and praying that this thread does not turn into 19 pages of rambling nonsense )
    +1

Whether your incident turns into a complaint or lawsuit will depend.

Personally if a LEO acts professionally and happens to overstep his authority a simple reminder either via letter, complaint, recommended training for staff would be fine.

If they treat me like the person in Philly where guns were pointed at his chest I would be pushing for a lawsuit.

If the department is willing to work with you and change their behavior we shouldn't be looking to hit a OC-violation-lottery. If the department involved obfuscates and refuses to address the underlying violations and remedy them via training, apology, etc a lawsuit may be the only language they will be willing to hear only because they will be forced to listen.

+1
    Sue the crap out of _____________ and then tithe 10% of yer winnings to thow a bif OCDO celebration :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

I do not know if much will happen, talked to the lawyer, we are speaking next week.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 05-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast