• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD Nightsights

FS23

I brought my XD to a local gunsmith earlier this week to have Meprolight nights put on. He tried for around 10 minutes to get the front sight off and gave up. Gouged the sight a little in the process. He said that he had no idea as to why it wouldnt budge.
Has anybody here had this problem ? Suggestions ?:question:

Badger Johnson

Check the XD talk website. The sights are notoriously difficult to remove using a punch and you need to use a special tool or have a gunsmith with some experience. It's not really a matter of which way you try to punch it out which is the first thought.

Many people have to send the slide back to SA to get the sights put on. I've had success using Glow-On a luminous glow in the dark paint and stick on pad (check their website).

It's actually brighter than the tritium though you have to 'charge it up' with 10 seconds from a tactical flashlight or something.

TheQ

I took my XDm to Classic Arms in Lansing. I told the Smith there I didn't care if he used a carbon disc to cut the front sight loose, as long as he didn't damage the slide -- that's exactly what he did. He cut it out, no visible damage to the slide.

FS23

Thanks guys for the assistance. The gunsmith did use a pusher, at least he said he did. I was waiting out front. I would like to have it done locally if possible. Dont want to be without the XDm if I dont have to. But better if it's done right than not.:lol:

Michigander

? Suggestions ?:question:

Yep. That brand came on my Sig. While okay, I don't suggest them. XS Express sights are MUCH faster to line up, and designed in such a way that they are still accurate.

I generally consider night sights to be silly, because I generally think of defensive sighted fire as rarely needed or called for during the day, and bordering in on a foolish concept during the night. But, as iron sights go for those situations where lining them up could be useful and realistic, you can't really do better than XS.

Badger Johnson

You don't realize the value of night sights at the range unless you're shooting in a dark-ish cubicle with iron-only sights. My S&W, since lost in a tragic boating accident was a pain to try to line up. I painted it with Glow-On and it's now great.

Even the standard white cone sights are better in that situation.

On a small mouse gun the laser works well if there's enough low light to see the dot. I'm toying with the idea of painting those also, since you can't put tritium on those HGs.

stainless1911

Banned
Last year I was walking at night down a really dark stretch of road when I heard something go through the woods. Not sure if it was a deer or a dog, I drew just in case, it was really close, probably 10 or 15 feet. I couldnt see the sights at all, it was just the perfect place for a nuclear sight.

Lighting them up with a tac light will destroy your night vision, and make your position visible. Not the best combination.

Bronson

My S&W, since lost in a tragic boating accident was a pain to try to line up.

I think you've misunderstood Michigander's statement. I believe he means that in a defensive situation and at normal defensive ranges using the sights at all isn't needed. Try it sometime at the range. Move the target out to about 6 or 10 feet and bring the gun up, one handed, about chest high. Once your peripheral vision can see the gun between yourself and the target, fire. You'll most likely find that all of the rounds land in the target. With some practice the groups get smaller....without using the sights or spending the time to line them up or to look for the little red dot.

When I practice close range defensive shooting I practice with the first shot coming from my hip after just clearing the holster (it usually hits the target area in the high stomach low chest) and subsequent shots moving higher as the gun comes up and I maneuver to the side or back.

defensive sighted fire as rarely needed or called for during the day, and bordering in on a foolish concept during the night.

Bronson

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Last year I was walking at night down a really dark stretch of road when I heard something go through the woods. Not sure if it was a deer or a dog, I drew just in case, it was really close, probably 10 or 15 feet. I couldnt see the sights at all, it was just the perfect place for a nuclear sight.

Lighting them up with a tac light will destroy your night vision, and make your position visible. Not the best combination.

First off, using a tactical light will not destroy your night vision, if its outside, and pointed away from you! If you are inside yes, because everything reflects (not just mirrors and glass). Now light will distort your night vision anywhere, SLIGHTLY in this situation, and lots inside, but here is the trick, close one eye. Or better yet, if you can cover one eye. Very simple.

Next point: night sights are pretty much useless. One, you shouldn't be practicing defensive shooting (at least at close distances, which most defensive shootings happen at close distances) with the sights. Although this is just a personal preference, but one that most professionals agree with, using your sights waste time in these situations, and tend not to make a difference. Another GREAT reason why night sights are useless are if you do use them, after your first shot you become, basically muzzle blind, and can't even see the glow from your night sights. So basically night sights on pistols are completely useless and serve no purpose. This is all purely my personal and humble opinion. It is also worth what you pay for it.

Many in the LEO community don't like laser's, they somehow see it as cheating, or somehow taking away from their manhood. Whatever. Do I own any lasers, for any of my firearms? No. If I could afford a LaserMax for my EDC would I buy one? Yes. Its funny, you can ask most LEOs, so do you have Night Sights on your duty weapon, and do you like them? Most will say of course, they are a must have. Then ask them, have you ever actually used them, I mean think about it, when you have pulled your weapon, in a low light situation, were you looking down your night sights? They will most likely say well no actually. Then ask them, would you ever use a laser? Well of course not they are stupid, and for wannabes! Then say, oh I see, so if you were ever in a true, SHTF situation, say taking automatic fire from behind your squad car, no backup, suspect approaching, and your running low on ammo, you wouldn't wish you had an accurate laser, with the proper training on how to use it? He/she would of course answer will since you put it like that of course I would use a laser in that situation, and would want one then.

Long story short, you don't NEED night sights or a laser, but if your going to get one or the other, I personally recommend the laser, and if your going to get a laser I suggest a LaserMax, just because they are more accurate, and INSIDE your pistol.

My $0.02. Start up the flame thrower!

ETA: Also this should go with out saying, but I will say it anyways, everyone that carries a firearm for self defense (in side or outside the home), should have a flashlight with-in reach as well. At a minimum just a flashlight, personally I keep at least a 200lm strobe (and a 800lm, yup 800lm, strobe at home). You don't have to be rich and buy name brand, do a quick ebay search, and you can find cheapo hong kong ones that take AAA's (not 800lm ones), but still VERY bright hand held flashlights.

Last edited:

Michigander

Yep, that's what I was thinking Broson, thanks.

To further explain, in most urban environments, if you're drawing down on a bad guy in the distance in the dark, and have night sights and not a flashlight, the sights won't necessarily help much because you may not be able to see the target as well, and in general will only be able to point in that direction. If you do have a flashlight of sufficient power, it will likely illuminate the area enough that you will end up seeing the sights.

A fight is unlike deer hunting where you may have lots of time to line the sights up. Assailants move, that's how they can kill you and your friends and family. And in the mean time, your instinctive urge not to die will be screaming at you to point the gun like your finger at the target and blast away, not to use the sights, particularly at distances less than 20 feet or so. Practicing accordingly is smart.

Also remember that almost all mugging/robbery defensive situations facing most private individuals happen at hip firing/retention position distances, not positions where the bad guy is far enough away to extend your arm towards him, nevermind the sights. This would be even more true of a night time mugging scenario.

Can it happen that you'll need night sights and have time to use them? It's not likely at all for both the reasons I said and those that east meyers said, but it sure could, so it's wise to be ready, and again, XS sights are among the best ways to do it.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Since I will most likely never draw down on a BG, I'm talking about using sights at the dark-ish indoor range I use (The Range), and shooting paper targets.

I really am no longer that concerned about Self-Defense applications of shooting.

I am interested in tactics, how using a laser sight helps to provide bio-feedback and help steady your hand, etc.

Bear in mind that our evolution as gun users, fighters and how we use equipment will transition and what was important or edifying will change over time. I do think that just having a HG does not make you a capable fighter.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I brought my XD to a local gunsmith earlier this week to have Meprolight nights put on. He tried for around 10 minutes to get the front sight off and gave up. Gouged the sight a little in the process. He said that he had no idea as to why it wouldnt budge.
Has anybody here had this problem ? Suggestions ?:question:
Come on out to the shop, I'll install your new sights.

I charge between $10 and $20

FS23

I took my XDm to Classic Arms in Lansing. I told the Smith there I didn't care if he used a carbon disc to cut the front sight loose, as long as he didn't damage the slide -- that's exactly what he did. He cut it out, no visible damage to the slide.

Stopped in there today and talked to their gunsmith. Nice guy. Didn't have a sight pusher. Tried a punch but couldn't do it. Didn't say he could carbon disc it. .?:banghead: