• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Road Rager tries to run me off the road

mrbds2011

sorry for being off the wall just trying to say sometimes you can't avoid a threat!

:banghead:

Prophet

the one guy said giv me five bucks and before i could even say no he shot in the cheast . thank god i had a cz 40p on . i fired four times and they zig zaged away .

I think this is what they, as well as me were having a difficulty in understanding. Were you shot in the chest? And what exactly does zig zag away mean. They ran in a zig zag motion so you couldnt hit them?

mrbds2011

sorry for that. i'm new at this and thank you for explianing it .

yes i was hit in cheast with what was either a sqibb or a misfire?
then his gun jamed .
i returned fire and i don't know if i hit guy one. (it happened in less than 4 or 5 secs altoghter)
i didn't fire on guy two becuase he was no longer a theart and they both zig zaged away . there was snow the on gruond and i didn't see any blood, but didn't look very hard ether, i didn't even know that i was shot until i got home and was telling my father what happend and noticed that there was some blood in my under shirt. it was right after x mas and i was there looking for deals.
just paid cash for a largr amount of tools
i should of know by the way they where looking hard at my money that something was upbut ..i told myself they wuold'nt try anything... . more than one lesson learned .
1 never pay in large amount of cash.
2be aware! and listin to that gut feeling
3never carry a bag in my draw hand

Orion

Prophet, well done. You kept your cool in a tense situation and were able to keep control. And kudos to the LEOs as well. It sounds like they responded quickly and with proportionate force, not swarming with multiple officers, assessed the situation fairly and didn't jump to conclusions about the MWAG, and ultimately treated you with the respect due any citizen. I hope and pray that I never have to face a situation like that, but if I do I hope it turns out as well.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
sorry for that. i'm new at this and thank you for explianing it .

yes i was hit in cheast with what was either a sqibb or a misfire?

I'm a bit confused, how could one possibly be hit by a squibb round?

A squib load is a firearms malfunction in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus becomes stuck

and isn't a misfire a round that fails to discharge upon the primer being struck? Someone help me out here...

amaixner

and isn't a misfire a round that fails to discharge upon the primer being struck? Someone help me out here...

Sounds like he might have been shot by a compressed gas or spring powered weapon if it drew blood through his clothing but did not penetrate -- up-powered airsoft, bb, pellet, etc. The intent of the robbers was pretty clear, though.

tx-skydiver

OP - Great job in dealing with your situation. I hope I can maintain my cool in a scenario like that.

After the police arrive I have a card that I would have handed them to say that I cannot discuss without my attorney present. Your situation could have gone either way with the police. Remember ANYTHING you say can and will be held against you.

I think maybe best to have had the witnesses speak for you.

my 2 cents

carry for myself

Sounds like he might have been shot by a compressed gas or spring powered weapon if it drew blood through his clothing but did not penetrate -- up-powered airsoft, bb, pellet, etc. The intent of the robbers was pretty clear, though.

probably a .25 acp.if its winter time and your wearing heavy clothing, a hollow point or even ball .25 may not have the power behind it to fully penatrate a heavy coat plus underclothing and still retain enough momemtum to fully enter flesh to any respecatable depth. i've shot a coyote with a .25 point blank and he just ran off, saw him on my porch the next night again and again for 3 weeks. and his fur had stopped it pretty dead.

.25acp is generally useless and alot of thugs use them because we all know pheonix and jennings make cheap models ;-)

Neplusultra

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/13A-3-23.htm

Check the laws where you live, they may allow a lot more freedom of action than you may think.

From the citation, when you may not use force:

(4)d. The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his or her official duties.

This seems to indicate you cannot resist unlawful entry or search by a LEO while on duty.......

bomber

I had a drunk show up on my doorstep some years ago. I answered with my 1911 at myside. He was standing propping himself up against a porch post with one hand behind his back. Three times I asked him to remove his hand from behind his back. After the third time I raised the pistol to eye level and flicked the saftey off. He became very co-operative, used the phone, to call for help (his car had broken down) and he left. After taking off the saftey, if he had refused to move his hand or had brought out a weapon I'd would have shot him. I'm glad he moved his hand and that he didn't have a weapon. Drunks are that, drunk; and one never knows what to expect from one. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

maybe you should have just kicked him in the nuts. then the story would have had a much more interesting ending

Haz.

Hi 'prophet.'

Glad all went well for you. Down Under where firearms have been banned, and all forms armed self defence have been declared illegal, you would have, as happens here, possibly been bashed to a pulp, robbed, possibly had your car stolen, or worse, killed. Thank God you people can arm yourselves. Never let that right go under any circumstances.

cshoff

Just for the sake of clarification, a "squib" load is ANY load that develops less than normal pressure. It could be anything from a cartridge that was loaded with a good primer but no powder, to a normally loaded cartridge in which the powder became compromised and failed to burn properly. Squib loads, quite often, develop sufficient pressure to push the projectile completely clear of the barrel. In fact, in a lot of cases, a centerfire cartridge loaded with no powder but with a good primer, will develop enough pressure to push the projectile clear of a short barrel (such as with a snub revolver or short-barrel semi-auto).

So, yes, it is entirely possible to be struck by a projectile that was fired out of a squib round.

acmariner99

OP: That was a perfect example of how to respond to a dangerous situation. You tried to get away from him (with your car) and when he presented a means and intent to want to harm you, you responded appropriately. Thankfully the split second instinct for him was to run away when the sirens approached. And it also seems the witnesses knew who the real bad guy was.

Phoenix David

Good job I'd say, only thing was IMO you should have said that you were willing to press charges if he was caught. In my neck of the woods it's aggravated assault, he said he had a gun, so as far as the as the law is concerned he had a gun. Of course your state laws may be different.