• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oshkosh Northwestern Story

M

McX

"I'm concerned about our cops on the street. I'm all for people having the right to protect themselves from those that have the potential of committing crimes," Oshkosh Police Chief Scott Greuel said. "But we need to be able to differentiate between the law-abiding citizens that mean no harm and the criminals that might be intent on committing those crimes."

Hmmm, the guy standing in line at the beer store with a 6 pack in one hand, and money in the other, carrying is probably a law abiding citizen. the guy with a gun in his hand, pressed to the clerk's head probably isnt.

Winnebago County Sheriff John Matz said officers undergo training sessions that recreate stressful situations so they become aware of the way their body changes under stress —common effects include tunnel vision and auditory exclusion — and can learn to react to the changes.

"I'm more concerned about the citizen using deadly force on the perpetrator than the perpetrator," Matz said. "I'm concerned people have a thorough understanding of when they can use it and the stress the body goes through and changes the body will make under extremely stressful situations."

Cops get tunnel vision, and auditory exclusion?! say it aint so!

protias

What does it matter if someone has a permit or not? If a cop sees a person is a permit holder, does that cop then start harassing said person? Right now we have no permits and we've had plenty of harassment in this state.

MKEgal

I've posted several replies there, including noting that the supporters of Constitutional Carry are the ones being polite & giving facts, while the opponents are the ones calling names & running on emotions.

I'm disappointed that the LEOs she talked to for her article were ignorant of the facts concerning Constitutional Carry in the other states, as well as the states which issue permits w/ no training.

Esp. interesting was using FBI data to compare VT, UT, WI, IL, & DC with regard to crime & murder rates.
As the restriction on citizens owning/carrying guns goes up, so does the rate of murder & overall violent crime.