Thread: Vacationing in Boyne Falls

Vacationing in Boyne Falls

I am heading to Boyne Falls and am wondering some of the do's and don'ts of OC in that area; such as, place to go and not to go and can I have my firearm in holster while driving?

I'll be staying at the Mountain Run Resort up there.

I live between Boyne Falls and Petoskey. I have never had a negative encounter with anyone here. But, I have had several interesting conversations, with residents and LEO's. Be sure you understand the Michigan laws. You do need a CPL to carry in a car...

As the tourist season starts, we are seeing the "snow birds" and tourists returning. A vast majority are from Florida and Illinois where OC is not allowed. In the summer, the non-residents out number the locals. So be ready for the "stink eye" from time to time.

I hope this helps.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    I am heading to Boyne Falls and am wondering some of the do's and don'ts of OC in that area; such as, place to go and not to go and can I have my firearm in holster while driving?

Do you have a CPL from your home state? If not you have to have you firearm unloaded and in the truck or in a case out of reach in a pick-up.

We need more info from you. Are you a resident of Michigan?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I think you posted on ocdo that you OCd in the UP last summer... so apparently you have a concealed-carry permit from your home state? If so, certainly you can drive with your holstered handgun; maybe you were thinking about Ohio's rules. Before you go, I would print out "Michigan State police legal update # 86" (just put what I wrote in parenthesis in a Google search). This publication explains almost everything pretty well. If you have any questions, feel free to return here and ask some of our resident scholars. Enjoy your trip!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I think you posted on ocdo that you OCd in the UP last summer... so apparently you have a concealed-carry permit from your home state? If so, certainly you can drive with your holstered handgun; maybe you were thinking about Ohio's rules. Before you go, I would print out "Michigan State police legal update # 86" (just put what I wrote in parenthesis in a Google search). This publication explains almost everything pretty well. If you have any questions, feel free to return here and ask some of our resident scholars. Enjoy your trip!
    Or go here for it...
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry-in-MI
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I am not sure what the Kirchner policy at the mountain, but my guess they are not very pro-gun. I have open carried here since 1995 with zero issues. As far as carry in a motor vehicle it is not allowed without a CPL/CCW .

Walmart has never uttered a word and Meijers, home depot, Lowes and any of the larger chain stores have the same hands off policy. maybe everyone is used to seeing me carry and that's why?

Enjoy your stay up here, I am about 4 minutes (North) away. Well I am off this thing and might visit here later this weekend. if you see a big guy carrying a Nickel Model 19 2 inch or a Browning Practical say hello I am friendly for the most part lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Cool

Thank you all for the info.

Yes, I do have my CHCL as it is called here in Arkansas and yes I have OC in the UP.

I lived in the UP so was comfortable with it there.

I'll be the one with the 15 passenger van and all the kids; you may even see my wife OC too.

I know Wisconsin must be locked up and unloaded while traveling.

Banned
    IIRC you are still subject to the 1,000 foot GFSZ. Nothing like enabling the criminal element in shooting at kids.