• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacationing in Boyne Falls

Packer fan

I am heading to Boyne Falls and am wondering some of the do's and don'ts of OC in that area; such as, place to go and not to go and can I have my firearm in holster while driving?

I'll be staying at the Mountain Run Resort up there.

knifemaker

I live between Boyne Falls and Petoskey. I have never had a negative encounter with anyone here. But, I have had several interesting conversations, with residents and LEO's. Be sure you understand the Michigan laws. You do need a CPL to carry in a car...

As the tourist season starts, we are seeing the "snow birds" and tourists returning. A vast majority are from Florida and Illinois where OC is not allowed. In the summer, the non-residents out number the locals. So be ready for the "stink eye" from time to time.

I hope this helps.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am heading to Boyne Falls and am wondering some of the do's and don'ts of OC in that area; such as, place to go and not to go and can I have my firearm in holster while driving?

Do you have a CPL from your home state? If not you have to have you firearm unloaded and in the truck or in a case out of reach in a pick-up.

We need more info from you. Are you a resident of Michigan?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I think you posted on ocdo that you OCd in the UP last summer... so apparently you have a concealed-carry permit from your home state? If so, certainly you can drive with your holstered handgun; maybe you were thinking about Ohio's rules. Before you go, I would print out "Michigan State police legal update # 86" (just put what I wrote in parenthesis in a Google search). This publication explains almost everything pretty well. If you have any questions, feel free to return here and ask some of our resident scholars. Enjoy your trip!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think you posted on ocdo that you OCd in the UP last summer... so apparently you have a concealed-carry permit from your home state? If so, certainly you can drive with your holstered handgun; maybe you were thinking about Ohio's rules. Before you go, I would print out "Michigan State police legal update # 86" (just put what I wrote in parenthesis in a Google search). This publication explains almost everything pretty well. If you have any questions, feel free to return here and ask some of our resident scholars. Enjoy your trip!
Or go here for it...
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...that-explain-the-legality-of-Open-Carry-in-MI

Bailenforcer

I am not sure what the Kirchner policy at the mountain, but my guess they are not very pro-gun. I have open carried here since 1995 with zero issues. As far as carry in a motor vehicle it is not allowed without a CPL/CCW .

Walmart has never uttered a word and Meijers, home depot, Lowes and any of the larger chain stores have the same hands off policy. maybe everyone is used to seeing me carry and that's why?

Enjoy your stay up here, I am about 4 minutes (North) away. Well I am off this thing and might visit here later this weekend. if you see a big guy carrying a Nickel Model 19 2 inch or a Browning Practical say hello I am friendly for the most part lol....

Packer fan

Thank you all for the info.

Yes, I do have my CHCL as it is called here in Arkansas and yes I have OC in the UP.

I lived in the UP so was comfortable with it there.

I'll be the one with the 15 passenger van and all the kids; you may even see my wife OC too.

I know Wisconsin must be locked up and unloaded while traveling.