• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of Long Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutus1776

I have a few questions about open carry of long arms. Is this considered 'legal' in NC? I recently heard of a fairly recent open carry 'rally' @ guilford courthouse. It seems to me that NC has restrictions on guns being at 'demonstrations, picket lines, or parades.' they seemed to cite being on national park land as being the cover for not disobeying the 'demonstrations or parades' clause in NC law. I thought the recent national parks gun bill allowed state law to dictate the legality of guns on these lands.

so to my questions:

what constitutes a 'demonstration, picket line or parade?' can 5 guys open carrying w/ 1 flag or sign constitute a 'demonstration? could open carrying a side arm at a farmers market that is held on private property or non state owned land be at all considered to violate the restrictions on guns at 'demonstrations?'

is it legal to open carry a long gun? loaded?

Last edited:

Smith45acp

As far as I know it's not illegal by state law. I was at the Restore the Constitution rally in Gboro and everyone's long guns were unloaded and checked on the way in, but not pistols.

I am not a moderator and this is purely FYI:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands [of future website founders]

--Moderator Comment-- That says it all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.