• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I propose a new name for LEO, SotL

hermannr

Hej Everyone: Because of several things I have read here, and on other forums, I was thinking we should maybe use different terminology for our friends in the law enforcement community, one that would better fit for their position.

You all remember the "old days" when they we called law enforcement, "peace officers" or "officers of the peace" indicating that their main job was to keep the peace in the community. "Peace officer" is a good term, but the acronym wouldn't be the best for understanding.

This change in terminology would be a good reminder everyone that Law Enforcement is Not the "authority" of the law, but that the written law (The Washington State Constitution and the RCWs here in WA) is the "authority" they are the servants that are hired to "keep the peace" under the law that is written.

I would propose we call all that we would call LEO to day..."Servants of the Law" from now on (an acronym could be SotL?), to better remind everyone that Law Enforcement personnel are "UNDER the law", just like every other citizen (person) in this country, and that they are not "the law".

Other suggestions maybe?

silver

That's going to be as difficult as getting people to stop calling all adjustable wrenches Crescent Wrenches or Magazines for firearms "Clips".

+1

the second one is one of my pet peeves. I HATE it when people do that!:banghead:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I would love to argue that magazines and clips are not the same thing, but people's mis-usage of the word so much has actually made "clip" mean the same as "magazine". It used to be that a Clip was something used for loading a magazine while a magazine was something used to feed the bullets into the chamber one by one. So a Stripped Clip would put the bullets into the AR-15 Magazine, then the Magazine would put the bullets into the Chamber as they're being fired. Moon Clips feed the Bullets into the Cylinder of a Revolver which is technically the Magazine of a Revolver as it moves the bullets, one by one, to the firing chamber.

But yeah, nowadays... Clip means magazine and Magazine means clip. I've learned to deal with hearing people use them interchangeably since I am actually the only person I know who actually knows of a difference between the two...

amlevin

since I am actually the only person I know who actually knows of a difference between the two...

If that were true then you'd know it was "Stripper", not "Stripped". :);)

And just to "pick the nit" more, you left out the "enbloc clip" that allows you to place the whole mess in the magazine of an M-1 at the same time.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

No, short for "Copper" which related to the copper buttons on the uniform sleeves. These buttons were to disuade wiping ones nose on the coat sleeve.

I did not know that. I just figured it was for "Citizen on Patrol" since I've seen it written on the back of some Police Cars in Port orchard.

JohnH

No, short for "Copper" which related to the copper buttons on the uniform sleeves. These buttons were to disuade wiping ones nose on the coat sleeve.

While I agree on the origein of the term "copper" that is the first time I've heard any explaination for the location of the button. Kinda makes one wonder just where they were finding those fine gentlemen doesn't it.

amlevin

While I agree on the origein of the term "copper" that is the first time I've heard any explaination for the location of the button. Kinda makes one wonder just where they were finding those fine gentlemen doesn't it.

According to my Grandfather who was a tailor "from the Old Country" that was the purpose. Showed up on all the fine suits of the time. In those days, everyone who didn't "shovel (synonym for agricultural waste)" wore a suit to work. Bricklayer to Accountant. Some just wore fancier suits. Clean ones too sometimes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
According to my Grandfather who was a tailor "from the Old Country" that was the purpose. Showed up on all the fine suits of the time. In those days, everyone who didn't "shovel (synonym for agricultural waste)" wore a suit to work. Bricklayer to Accountant. Some just wore fancier suits. Clean ones too sometimes.

The more expensive suits had more buttons per sleeve than the cheaper ones too.

MKEgal

xxx.jakk.xxx said:
people's mis-usage of the word so much has actually made "clip" mean the same as "magazine"
Kinda like how Kleenex[TM] is still technically a trademark for a brand of facial tissue, but 'kleenex' is used generically to ask for a facial tissue?

Jell-O is similar in being specific & generic.

xxx.jakk.xxx

And it was Constable on Patrol
In this area I've only seen "Citizen", but 1911 already explained that that is because they're volunteers.

Kinda like how Kleenex[TM] is still technically a trademark for a brand of facial tissue, but 'kleenex' is used generically to ask for a facial tissue?

Jell-O is similar in being specific & generic.

Pretty much. Everything that I can find that actually states the difference mentions that now they are synonymous for each other, now, because of people using them interchangeably before.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Another version says it was because a lot of the badges were actually made of copper. Nothing about buttons. Back then handkerchiefs were quite commonly used to wipe noses, not sleeves.

:cool: