• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Alabama CCL Good For OC In Georgia?

JohnH

Well, the title mostly says it all. Georgia and Alabama have reciprocal recognition agreements on the CCL/GWL. But the law is different in each state. As I understand it, You must have the GWL to carry in Gerogia regardless of method. In Alabama, the license is only for concealment, open carry requires no permit so long as you are on foot. You must have the CCL to have a handgun in your vehicle.

So, so long as I have an Alabama CCL would I be good to OC in Georgia?

I was raised in Commerce and still have relatives there and visit on occasion. It'd be nice to cross the lines and not have to concern myself with nonsensical bureacratic oversight of a distinctly individual preference.

rmodel65

GA honors the AL permit youre gtg concealed or openly just make sure you know GA off limits places we have more than AL

Fallschirjmäger

FL's CWFL? I'm guessing so. Got a link to the Off Limits places?

From our friends at GeorgiaPacking.Org(Which should be visited for more detailed information.)
Places off limits to carry

The short version of the laws that affect where weapons are prohibited - -
Some apply to weapons (handguns and knives as defined at the top of this page,) and long guns (as defined at the top of this page,) while other places apply to everything else other than a weapon.

Carrying a Weapon in an Unauthorized Location: Carrying a weapon or long gun in any of the following places is against the law (misdemeanor offense, exceptions are below the list)...

1. In a government building.
-- "Government Building" means:
A...The building in which a government entity is housed (Please see the definition for "government entity" below for more infomation)
B...The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or
C...The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity. (if a government entity rented out space in a mall and actually occupies it with people, only the "store" space they rented would be off limits)

--"Government Entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state (This part of the law is kind of vague depending on who exactly is included regarding an "office" or "department" as to where they are "housed" or "occupied". The meaning most favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is the way a court should rule) is limited to the location that contains the person that is in charge of the entire entity. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, the county tax commissioner is housed in building A and is off-limits, buildings b and c are not off limits because they do not house the Office of the tax commissioner. The meaning least favorable to a person charged with violating this law (which is a way police and prosecutors could interpret it and a court might rule) includes any location where an employee operates out of. Example: Your local tax office has 3 locations (all publicly owned) where you can make payments, all 3 locations are off limits. This does not include a blanket ban on all publicly owned buildings since the law says that a publicly owned building is only off-limits if an entity is housed or meets in the building).

2. In a courthouse (a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held)
3. In a jail or prison
4. In a place of worship
5. In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease
6. In a bar unless the owner permits carry (the owner has to grant permission for you to be able carry, a bar is defined as an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, like taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets)
7. On the premises of a nuclear power facility (punishment for carry is a misdemeanor, carry with intent to do bodily harm is a felony)
8. Within 150 feet of a polling location

Last edited: