Thread: SB 231, Campus Carry Passes Senate

SB 231, Campus Carry Passes Senate

SB 231, Nevada Campus Protection Act 28 May, 2011 at approx. 12:20 pm passes senate 15 in favor, 6 against, a constitutional majority.

How soon until the assem gets? I have been on the leg website during the day but dont see on a agenda yet.

Awesome!!! I just found out that we have a job coming up at UNLV. Hopefully it becomes law before we start it. Probably not though. Most of the time they want the jobs done over the summer break.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Sabaotage if we can get it through the Assembly then maybe it will go in effect in July.

I hear it is assigned to Assy Judiciary Cmte. Wonder if/when it will be heard in committee.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Would love to know when this will pass. If it's before the fall semester or not. I'd love to go back and take some more classes, but told myself only if this passes!

If it does pass...I might just end up in law school.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    Would love to know when this will pass. If it's before the fall semester or not. I'd love to go back and take some more classes, but told myself only if this passes!

If it does pass...I might just end up in law school.
    I would not tell anyone they should pass on a chance to better themselves with more education simply because they can't carry in that venue. One thing that makes me feel better about dealing with having my second amendment rights infringed at school is that I devote so much time and energy to the cause of fixing the problem.

Most of you know this is one of my favorite forums.

I just haven't had a lot of time to post much here since the legislative session started.

Would love to keep this forum updated with session info, but simply don't have the time to do it.

There is much legislative session info posted at http://nevadashooters.com/ in their "Second Amendment and Politics" forum.

Hope no one minds me posting that here.

SB-231 is scheduled to be heard tomorrow, June 1, 2011, at 8:30 a.m. in the Assembly Judiciary Committee.

NEED YOUR MASSIVE SUPPORT!

Please call and/or email your support to the Asm Jud Cmte.

And if you can, attend and testify in support!

Thanks!

Activist Member
    Is there any dress code?

I imagine firearms are prohibited in the building?

What exactly is the purpose of the judiciary committee? Is this a place for general testimony in support of the bill or are they trying to determine constitutionality or something?
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 05-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.

No formal dress code. But, as you might expect, always best to present your best appearance.

There is a sign on the door(s) prohibiting firearms in the building - unless you obtain permission from the bldg director. Although they used to grant permission somewhat freely, they no longer do, unless you're law enforcement.

The purpose is to hear pro and con arguments and determine if the committee will pass the bill to the Assembly floor for a full vote. Although testimony may be limited due to time factors, 99% of the time you'll be allowed to testify before the committee. When you arrive, simply sign in, check the box "in favor" and check the box stating you would like to speak.

Even if many have presented favorable testimony before your turn, its STILL best to get up there and testify in favor. If all your points have been previously made, you can simply state, "I'll be brief as I agree with the previous favorable testimony and urge you to pass SB-231." Tell them your opinion and urge passage! Tell them this is fine legislation, thanks to Senators Lee and Settelmeyer for sponsoring it, and SB-231 is 100% worthy of a full vote on the Assembly floor - Nevadans deserve to see a full vote.

HUGELY important.

If SB-231 doesn't get passed out of committee to the Assembly floor, the bill will die.

P. S. Folks in Clark County can easily participate. Hearing is videotelecast to the Grant Sawyer Bldg. You can easily testify from there!
    Last edited by varminter22; 05-31-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add Grant Sawyer Bldg, Vegas, testimony opportunity info

Activist Member
    It looks like Room 3138 of the Legislative Building.

Yep, Room 3138 in the Assembly, Carson City.

And videoteleconferenced to Room 4401 of the Grant Sawyer State Office Bldg, 555 East Washington Avenue, Las Vegas.
    Last edited by varminter22; 05-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.