• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in KC?

M

mattwestm

I'm doing some research on OC in Kansas City. As far as I know, OC is completely legal in KC. Are there any specific areas in which I can't OC? I know St. Louis has different regions where you can't OC to make it really confusing, but is KC the same way? Will you be harassed by cops in KC for open carrying?

afcarry

To kill two birds with one stone: Yes. It is completely legal with exceptions, of course as there are most anywhere you go. Keep it out of federal buildings, UMKC is a good example of where not to carry, as well. Pay attention to where the school property is, not just the campus. Many of the small coffee shops and such surrounding that area are actually ON school property, so even if the store owners don't care, its a no go. Some of the parks in the city are OC Illegal (for example the park next to the museum, its on their property), and of course don't carry into any police stations. Yes, you probably will be approached eventually by Rambo in a police uniform, but as long as your smart and politely assertive (and of course, legal) you'll be good to go. Heres some fun reading:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90423-OC-in-Westport

kcgunfan

Kansas City MO proper does not have any prohibitions against Open Carry. Some of the suburbs do, such as North Kansas City and Parkville. I don't know about the Kansas side. If you can tell us more about where you will be, I can provide more detail.

The political structure of St Louis is unlike anywhere else in the world. You move between different little cities all over the place, even when your in St Louis county proper which is different from St. Louis City. I just CC in St Louis, because I don't have the mental capacity to know where OC is legal and where it isn't.

You might get hassled a bit, but it's not too bad. Most of the KCMO PD is up to speed on open carry. There are exceptions though.

Missouri has different laws that apply to people with and without a CC license. If you have a CC license, you can go most anywhere except federal property. If you get asked to leave, do so and there is no problem. If you don't have a CC license, do not go into prohibited areas, or you will likely not like what happens.

M

mattwestm

I'm applying to several graduate schools and UMKC is one on the list. I have no clue where I'd be living and where I'd visit. By the time I go out to KC, I'll have my permit.

ChiangShih

I'm applying to several graduate schools and UMKC is one on the list. I have no clue where I'd be living and where I'd visit. By the time I go out to KC, I'll have my permit.

I'm undergrad at UMKC, despite the actual legality of carrying on campus or its properties you'll want to avoid it simply because you risk expulsion lol.

M

mattwestm

I'm undergrad at UMKC, despite the actual legality of carrying on campus or its properties you'll want to avoid it simply because you risk expulsion lol.

How do you like UMKC? In NC it's a felony to carry on campus. I'm not willing to break a law, but I don't have a problem concealing on campus, even if I'm breaking a lame school rule.

Richieg150

You are correct about what could happen if you were caught carrying a firearm on campus, BUT, if properly concealed, that isnt going to happen.THATS the reason to have a CCW permit, Chiang, I hope NOTHING ever happens while youre on campus, to you or those you care about that could have been prevented by you or SOMEBODY CCWing. The interesting thing about someone carrying a firearm, somewhere that they by the letter of the law shouldnt is, if something happened and they were able to save many lives, they would probably considered a hero, but if caught carrying under any other circumstances, they would be ruled a paranoid lawbreaker.

ChiangShih

How do you like UMKC? In NC it's a felony to carry on campus. I'm not willing to break a law, but I don't have a problem concealing on campus, even if I'm breaking a lame school rule.

I enjoy UMKC, it is a very nice campus and in a much better location than Mizzou Columbia. You are right in the nice area of downtown KC, plenty of stuff to do within walking or biking distance. It is also a relaxed campus, not a party school, but I think that is a good thing it has a lot of non trad and graduate students, so generally speaking its easier to focus on getting your studies done. I'm happy with it so far.