• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone ! Please take a few moments to remember our Veterans

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The Veterans that have served & Sacrificed, The POW's, all those still Missing in Action, through out this nations history deserve our respect, to be remembered & our most sincerest gratitude for a job very well done.

Revolutionary War
The Franco - American Naval War
The Barbary Wars
The war of 1812
The Creek War
The War of Texas Independence
the Civil War
the Spanish American War
World War 1
World War 2
Korea
Viet Nam
The Bay of Pigs invasion
Panama
Grenada
The Persian Gulf War
Intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Iraq War
The ongoing War in Afganistan
& the Many unknown Covert Actions

TAPS

http://youtu.be/3G1FvlPakkU
http://youtu.be/BVzrsyCtoWY
http://youtu.be/GFIlSyth5i8

The Picture below is the...The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in France is located on the site of the temporary American St. Laurent Cemetery, established by the U.S. First Army on June 8, 1944 and the first American cemetery on European soil in World War II. The cemetery site, at the north end of its ½ mile access road, covers 172.5 acres and contains the graves of 9,387 of our military dead, most of whom lost their lives in the D-Day landings and ensuing operations. On the Walls of the Missing in a semicircular garden on the east side of the memorial are inscribed 1,557 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.

The memorial consists of a semicircular colonnade with a loggia at each end containing large maps and narratives of the military operations; at the center is the bronze statue, "Spirit of American Youth." An orientation table overlooking the beach depicts the landings in Normandy. Facing west at the memorial, one sees in the foreground the reflecting pool; beyond is the burial area with a circular chapel and, at the far end, granite statues representing the U.S. and France.

http://youtu.be/92a-6laIqVU

Last edited:

TyGuy

God bless all my fellow vets. Im glad that we made it through to enjoy the freedoms that we fought for.

HandyHamlet

USS_Hancock_CV-19-Tarn.jpg

My Grandfather was 27 when he was drafted in WWII. For the Duration. He had two kids, a wife, and a private business. He served on an Essex class Carrier as an Engineer that was hit by a kamikaze.

He had balls of steel.

My flag flies in his honor.

M

McX

My Dad was in the Navy, as a Chief Gunner, and LCVP, on board a destroyer tender. he was part of the first occupying forces into Nagasaki after the atomic bomb was dropped.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Back before we understood PTSD....

3 of my Mom's 5 brothers were in the army in Europe and my Dad's Brother, Joe, was in the Marines on Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Amazingly, they all made it back. After the war the 3 brothers all became low-bottom alcoholics and Joe was electrocuted, working in the neon sign business he started....

HandyHamlet

[video=youtube;jQu0Gc3aX7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQu0Gc3aX7s[/video]
USS John Hancock CV-19 hit.

I never knew this footage existed.

My Grandfather often spoke of how they (the engineers manning the pumps I guess?) were declared dead when the kamikaze hit. They were trapped beneath this fire and below decks for hours according to his Yearbook. He thought it was ironic. "If we were dead then who was getting the water to the firefighters?" he always asked. This macabre statement was always accompanied by a little grin and laugh. Both filled with this big... "F*CK YOU Death. You P*ssy" kind of vibe.

Last edited:

littlewolf

My Thanks to all my fellow vets and those who support us and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice,God Bless ,you shall not be forgotten.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
[video=youtube;jQu0Gc3aX7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQu0Gc3aX7s[/video]
USS John Hancock CV-19 hit.

I never knew this footage existed.

My Grandfather often spoke of how they (the engineers manning the pumps I guess?) were declared dead when the kamikaze hit. They were trapped beneath this fire and below decks for hours according to his Yearbook. He thought it was ironic. "If we were dead then who was getting the water to the firefighters?" he always asked. This macabre statement was always accompanied by a little grin and laugh. Both filled with this big... "F*CK YOU Death. You P*ssy" kind of vibe.

My hats off to your Grandfather ! Those WW2 guys were Hardcore Muther Frackers through & through, they don't call them the Greatest generation for nothing. my Grandfather on my moms side served in the Army in Europe, My grandmother who came to the US from Germany ( Bavaria ) after WW1 had close family that fought against the US in WW2 Europe, My Family Geneology shows I had a few Great uncles ( on my moms side ) that were Waffen SS officers in the German Army..Kinda Ironic but the German troops were Bad Azzes too. It's amazing when your young you can go to war & do horrible things to the enemy, then get older 40 years after the war & shake hands with, toast your enemy & share war stories with your former foe.

Last edited: