Thread: Santa Cali Gon Days - Non for profit OC booth

Santa Cali Gon Days - Non for profit OC booth

Alrighty. Well this had been brought up a few times a couple of months ago, but it's coming up in September 2nd-5th. That's friday evening into Monday. We need to get an application in for a booth soon if we want it.

My emails about the Open Carry of weapons have been unanswered. So Monday I will be calling. I have gone over all of their rules and regs for vendors and for patrons and have seen NOTHING to suggest a ban on anything other than pets.

I will let you guys know about the OC thing when I do.

The main questions are the cost. $245 for booth plus $90 for liability insurance (required by the event). Looking at $335 just for the booth. Probably another $200-300 for pamplets/brochures to hand out. We'd probably need about $650 to be moving forward with this effectively.

Are you KC people (STL too if you want to donate :-D) up for pooling together that much money? I think it's the next big stride in awareness. I'd be willing to throw up $100.

The other thing is Staff to work the booth. I could most likely swing being there the entirety of the time, but I'd say at least 6 people dedicated to spending their time there off and on in shifts over the weekend.

We could even hand out bottles of water with our pamphlets. Obviously that'd add to cost.

I'd really like to be able to OC while doing this, I'll let you know about my phone call. Please let me know your opinions of the idea, and mostly, the money and volunteers to staff.
    Last edited by Big Boy; 05-29-2011 at 12:34 AM.

You bet!

Count me in! I could throw a 100.00 bucks into the effort. I would also be available each day during the middle of the days...say between 11am to 4pm...since I work nights.

I will help man the booth!
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

I could throw in a few dollars (not sure how much at this point) an would be available to to man the booth.

I can give a few bucks,sure. I'd be happy to help. I can't donate a lot,but a little.

Also, this might sound dumb,but where is this being help ?
    Last edited by Tony4310; 05-29-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Independence town square...

Thank ya sir!

I had forgotten today was a holiday. Will call about OC tomorrow.

If we have enough people willing to pool the money together we'll send in an application. Once it gets accepted we could set up a paypal account to get all of the money together.

what if i named my ruger like my pet

I FINALLY got in contact with someone and it seems that they are banning firearms. Kind of seems like a moot point if we can't OC....

not quite so sure

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    I FINALLY got in contact with someone and it seems that they are banning firearms. Kind of seems like a moot point if we can't OC....
    I hear what you're saying, but I look at this way. What would be our purpose in doing it in the first place? We would be doing it simply to get the word out through the use of the pamphlets etc, and to allow our neighbors to see who we are and to have the opportunity to interact with us and ask questions etc.

The fact that we can't OC at the event itself shouldn't keep us from making our presence and message known. I think it would still be a worthwhile project and worthy of our time and effort.

In short, I don't think we should boycott the event and lose an opportunity to put our message out there to thousands of people and be able to do it in such a short period of time.

Yeah, I'd still do it if we could drum up the money.

Randy are you going to be making it to the St. Joe meet?

nope....

Yeah, I'd still do it if we could drum up the money.

Randy are you going to be making it to the St. Joe meet?
    I wish I could...but I work nights and I just couldn't make it work. I have hated it that I've not been able to swing the last few meets. The ones that I can attend will have to be closer to home I'm afraid.

Who are THEY? If the event is held on a public street, it is a public event, and THEY can ban all they want, but you still have the right to open carry or CCW a firearm. Independence has no ordinance against open carry.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

If they Gated the whole event, and posted a sign at each entry, then it could be enforced, but I have been to the event, and thats not the way it is run. But that is my opinion....

THEY was a she. The person in charge of the festival that works at the chamber of commerce.

They may not be able to technically ban it, but even if they couldn't, they could kick us out of our booth for it.

Is SHE aware of Missouri Gun laws, and she cant ban firearms from her event held on a public street in a public venue, and that open carry is a right the Missouri Constitution supports, and our goal is to make the public aware of their rights to defend themselves and those they love and not be victims......

If you want to get into more of the nit and grit of it ask for Teresa Freeland at 816-252-4745 Chamber of Commerce.

They may not be able to stop you from carrying as a patron of the festival, but as far as obtaining a booth, that they can regulate, and therefore deny/kick you out for OC.

Well just got off the phone with Teresa, she informed me, that during this event The Chamber of Commerce owns the public streets and firearms,knives,skateboards are allowed. I tried explaining what the Missouri Constitution says, and that Independence, has no policy against Open Carrying of a firearm, and she cant regulate what can happen on a public street in a public venue as long as its not breaking Missouri statutes or city ordinances, she told me I was mistaken and yes they can OWN the PUBLIC streets during the event. She then told me there were going to be way to many people to allow any firearms at the event, and the thought of firearms being there was SCAREY....Im thinking about just showing up and maybe passing out some business cards or something. Im thinking about going to the Indep. police dept and seeing if I can speak to the Chief of Police or someone to see what their actions will be at the event...Anybody got any ideas??

TYPO, firearms,knives,skateboards, ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Try talking to Allen Garner. He is the City Counselor. Tom Dailey is the Chief of Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    If they Gated the whole event, and posted a sign at each entry, then it could be enforced, but I have been to the event, and thats not the way it is run. But that is my opinion....
    Actually, the governing body of the city could enact an ordinance that prohibited openly carried firearms at such events, but the Chamber of Commerce cannot. The city cannot, however, prohibit endorsement holders from carrying concealed firearms on public streets for ANY reason.