• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Asheville

TDFbound

I live just outside of Asheville, and most of my business is conducted within their city limits. Do any of you have knowledge of or experiences regarding open carry in Asheville?

On the same note, does anybody know where to find the legal definition of a Bowie knife? I want to open carry a large knife for defensive purposes, and want to be sure it is not classified as a "Bowie knife." There are no current statutes for blade length or any of that jazz for open carry knives, just the style of blade.

brutus1776

im in the area and have carried in my county, but not within asheville city limits. many on this board have. there was an open carry meet last year down town. on another asheville thread i posted my correspondence w/ buncombe county sheriffs department about the subject. they essentially said, its legal, but most people will not like it. all the more reason to do it.

good luck and bring your recorder

Sahib0120

I was with the group that met up last year for an OC meet. There was 5 or 6 of us and we just walked around town with no problems at all. That's the only time I've OC'd in Asheville though cause I live around the Weaverville area and only go to Asheville every now and then. Be nice if we could organize another meet again.