• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Acquiring Concealed Carry Permits

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Hey guys, it has come to my attention that some of us have been facing hardships in acquiring our concealed carry permits for various reasons that our local LEO offices give. So if you are having ANY trouble at all in obtaining your permit, and would like some help please send me a private message with your contact information, as well as the contact information for the department with which you are going through, as well as when they would have received your application.

Thank you,
Shane Belanger

Last edited:

carry for myself

ill let ya know on the 22nd of june. thats the day they are either supposed to confirm or deny my permit sooo lol lets hope for luck! :)

Badger Johnson

Hey guys, it has come to my attention that some of us have been facing hardships in acquiring our concealed carry permits for various reasons that our local LEO offices give. So if you are having ANY trouble at all in obtaining your permit, and would like some help please send me a private message with your contact information, as well as the contact information for the department with which you are going through, as well as when they would have received your application.

Thank you,
Shane Belanger

This seems like an odd message, coming from a layperson, even with the backing of a shooter's rights organization.

Can you give the forum members some idea of how you might facilitate these cases? Just some basic generalizations, rough idea...

Does your group lobby the General Assembly, know an advocate, or have a brother-in-law (Bubba) who will get a representative in a head-lock and give him a noogie until he capitulates? :)

Last edited:

boyscout399

This seems like an odd message, coming from a layperson, even with the backing of a shooter's rights organization.

Can you give the forum members some idea of how you might facilitate these cases? Just some basic generalizations, rough idea...

Does your group lobby the General Assembly, know an advocate, or have a brother-in-law (Bubba) who will get a representative in a head-lock and give him a noogie until he capitulates? :)

Shane has a good deal of political clout available to him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Not odd at all. Shane is very knowledgeable and active in Maine. This is grassroots and brother helping brother at its finest. Collectively the strength is multiplied by the power of many.

I presume that by "layperson" you mean not a licensed attorney. Many here are lawyers, one who studies the law, but are not legal practicing, admitted to the bar, attorneys. Difference is that attorneys can charge for their services. Shane gives benefit of his expertise without compensation.......and he has others available for consultation, some licensed to practice the law.

MOCA under the leadership of Shane has lobbied, organized functions, testified, been interviewed, educated, challenged and supported. Not sure where your casual negativism originates (if I perceive it correctly) but a few minutes of searching will tell you who and what Shane and MOCA are - soundly based and effective activism.
http://maineopencarry.org/
http://maineopencarry.org/faq.html
There are many more - try Google.

I might point out that VCDL and other RKBA organizations are made up of predominately just such layperson activists.

Last edited:

Flashlight

I had an issue receiving mine. I called the PD, complained and stopped in many times and they pretty much told me tough luck. Shane got involved and I got a message from him to expect it the next week. The next week it was issued. I don't know how he does it but he does. He is willing to help. Be willing to be helped.

WantsToCarry

I would love to have my Permit. Only problem is the providing proof of knowledge with a handgun. Ive shot for several years but I don't have a 'class' nor the cabbage to do so. If/when I go for it, if i have any trouble i'll be sure to let shane know!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I would love to have my Permit. Only problem is the providing proof of knowledge with a handgun. Ive shot for several years but I don't have a 'class' nor the cabbage to do so. If/when I go for it, if i have any trouble i'll be sure to let shane know!

If it is purely a monetary issue, we may be able to help you with that. Send me a pm with your what exactly is going on, if you would like.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

Haha, I guess I didn't notice this post as I skimmed through the forum the other day. I don't have much time currently because of work. Summer always seems to be the most hectic of times, although you'd think that wouldn't be the case.

I would love to break MOCA's ideology down here for you, although I do not think it would do the organization justice. We are not your typical organization as we do not require any member fee, nor do I believe we ever will. I personally find it distasteful to require someone to pay a fee to be a member of an organization that fights for your rights. The same rights that you should never need an organization to fight for.

Granted, in the past we have thought it wise to collect fees from members, thus allowing us to have more clout/power on the political stage. (See this as hiring fancy lawyers and playing the political game). But alas, this is the exact thing we want to steer clear of. The political system is far too, well shall I say injured(?) currently to want to be a part of it. Adding another lobbying group to the mix would just make things that much more messy. Also, in politics it's constantly a game of "what have you done for me lately". Of course, it is this idea that has abruptly ended many conversations between myself and people who think they are going to be in much greater places soon(see this as a government office), and try to use MOCA as a stepping stone to get them there.

I think the my Uncle who is a State Rep in another state termed it perfectly. Think of a massive sewage pipe, filled with sewer water, now pour a glass of fresh, clean, pure water in it. That glass of water is me (my uncle) <-- meaning he is the glass of water, just to clarify :)

So, as you can see sir. We do things differently in Maine.

Maine CWP Training

I personally find it distasteful to require someone to pay a fee to be a member of an organization that fights for your rights.

Fees make victories like this possible:

June 3, 2011

Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Holds NRA Entitled to Attorneys’ Fees in Lawsuits Against Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois

Fairfax, VA—Today, the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals conclusively and forcefully held, without need for oral argument, that the National Rifle Association has the right to recover attorneys’ fees in its lawsuits against the city of Chicago's and the village of Oak Park’s unconstitutional gun bans. The court held that the NRA was a prevailing party in the case of National Rifle Association v. City of Chicago and Village of Oak Park.

This is a Second Amendment victory and a civil rights victory. The National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment prevailed against those who sought to deny the right to keep and bear arms in Chicago and Oak Park, said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRAs Institute for Legislative Action. The attempt to avoid paying the NRAs attorneys fees was rightly found to be unjust by the Court."

After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right to keep and bear arms for all Americans in the historic McDonald v. Chicago and NRA v. Chicago and Oak Park cases, it remanded them for the purpose of issuing an injunction against Chicago and Oak Park's unconstitutional gun ordinances. Before that injunction was issued, however, those ordinances were repealed. The City and the Village then argued that the NRA was not a prevailing party and should not be allowed to recover attorneys fees. The District Court, which originally ruled against the NRA, agreed and denied the fee award.

Today's Seventh Circuit decision overturns that ruling, holding instead that the NRA is indeed a prevailing party and is entitled to receive reimbursement for attorneys fees. The amount to be recovered will be established by the District Court.

This is a major victory for the NRA. While we are grateful to recover our attorneys fees, however, we remain steadfast in our belief that Chicago and Oak Park continue to circumvent the law of the land and deny their law-abiding residents the Second Amendment freedoms protected by the Constitution. We will continue to fight those efforts until the Second Amendment is fully respected," concluded Cox.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fees make victories like this possible:

June 3, 2011

Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals Holds NRA Entitled to Attorneys’ Fees in Lawsuits Against Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois

Fairfax, VA—Today, the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals conclusively and forcefully held, without need for oral argument, that the National Rifle Association has the right to recover attorneys’ fees in its lawsuits against the city of Chicago's and the village of Oak Park’s unconstitutional gun bans. The court held that the NRA was a prevailing party in the case of National Rifle Association v. City of Chicago and Village of Oak Park.

That example is [strike]unquestionably[/strike] probably beyond the reach and scope of MOCA. They could file an Amicus Brief if they desired to make a statement. VCDL has done that on numerous occasions.

What we find works well in local cases of note is to put out a call for donations for legal defense. This approach has worked exceedingly well. See my present signature line.

Claytron

That example is [strike]unquestionably[/strike] probably beyond the reach and scope of MOCA. They could file an Amicus Brief if they desired to make a statement. VCDL has done that on numerous occasions.

What we find works well in local cases of note is to put out a call for donations for legal defense. This approach has worked exceedingly well. See my present signature line.

I believe the quite obvious point hes trying to make is that an organization with money can do a lot more than one without.

Echo399

What's up guys, new member here.
Just wondering..does a hunters safety course meet the requirements for obtaining your permit?
I've been around guns my whole life, my father was a police officer for 20 years and started me young with proper safety and shooting techniques..and as much as I would like to be able to afford to go to some classes to improve upon my skills, if I can save money by not having to take a course covering everything I know..well that would be cool.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the useful information I've read on here so far.
-Echo

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
What's up guys, new member here.
Just wondering..does a hunters safety course meet the requirements for obtaining your permit?
I've been around guns my whole life, my father was a police officer for 20 years and started me young with proper safety and shooting techniques..and as much as I would like to be able to afford to go to some classes to improve upon my skills, if I can save money by not having to take a course covering everything I know..well that would be cool.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the useful information I've read on here so far.
-Echo

I am sorry to say that it typically doesn't sir. The statute states a handgun safety course, or show handgun safety/knowledge. Most authorities make you just take the course. Of course I am not reading from the statute and those words aren't exact it's the basic layout of the text.

Badger Johnson

Not odd at all. Shane is very knowledgeable and active in Maine. This is grassroots and brother helping brother at its finest. Collectively the strength is multiplied by the power of many.

Not sure where your casual negativism originates (if I perceive it correctly) but a few minutes of searching will tell you who and what Shane and MOCA are - soundly based and effective activism.
---------

OK, I hear the following:
1. Shane has political clout;
2. It's grassroots;
3. Shane says he doesn't do traditional lobbying.

Thus my question stands. What does he do? The three answers tell me very little. Why does the recalcitrant political group or sheriff listen to him versus abide by a law and why don't they listen to the original permit requestee?

It sounds like a 'You can't get there from here, Mr Average Citizen'. Then Shane says 'Hey, it's me, pretty please', and the permit is issued. Doesn't tell me the 'how'. Are people getting bribed (legally) by being promised votes in the next election or what?

If it's really 'he knows someone who knows someone' it doesn't help others get similar results in different venues.

TIA

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---------

OK, I hear the following:
1. Shane has political clout;
2. It's grassroots;
3. Shane says he doesn't do traditional lobbying.

Thus my question stands. What does he do? The three answers tell me very little. Why does the recalcitrant political group or sheriff listen to him versus abide by a law and why don't they listen to the original permit requestee?

It sounds like a 'You can't get there from here, Mr Average Citizen'. Then Shane says 'Hey, it's me, pretty please', and the permit is issued. Doesn't tell me the 'how'. Are people getting bribed (legally) by being promised votes in the next election or what?

If it's really 'he knows someone who knows someone' it doesn't help others get similar results in different venues.

TIA

There is no such thing as legal bribery and that inference borders on insulting.

Frequently being well known, knowing the statutes, and to whom to direct the call is enough. If you have personal questions of Shane, I suggest you PM him and not belabor the point here.

carry for myself

" knowing law is the same as being law, if you can prove yourself, the law will follow in line, the ones who are left behind are the un-informed, and the un-informed will never win in a court" -at Judge Amers Kolmon 1972

Departments sometimes *even though the law is shall issue* deny on personal opinion or ideals. Sometimes they need someone that KNOWS what they are saying to say it in a way that makes them move. Cops. Departments, Agencies prey on the un-informed and use the preverbial lab-coat technique to scare people off all the time. Untill someone who wears a bigger coat steps in and says "uh-uh" .......Shane and MOCA seem to be those people. simple enough.