• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Zones

Monroe

I am looking for a thread that explains school zones and their effect on Open Carry and Concealed Carry.

If one doesn't exist, and you can give an explanation, please do so.

:banana:
Please do not co-opt this thread with tirades about how the GFZA is unconstitutional and stupid. Yes, I agree. But my kids wont eat very well if I am in a jail cell. (And please don't flame me about my wimpy non-patriot character that George Washington would despise: I stipulate all your assertions.)
:banana:

Thanks,
Monroe

Last edited:

Aknazer

Basically if you want to be safe you will want a Concealed Carry Permit (or whatever your state calls it) for the state that you're in to be able to carry within 1000'. However do to the bolded part:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that,
one could argue that if you have a permit recognized by the state that you can carry. Why? Because with recoprocity the state says that you're licensed to carry and the law doesn't say that you have to have a license FROM the state, simply be licensed by the state. There is no current case law that I know of for the above arguement, and the only thing on it is a BATFE "clarification," but they aren't exactly authorized to clarify laws.

So while I would recommend you have a license from your state to carry within 1000' of a school, if you're out on vacation and run into an issue in a state that your license has recoprocity with you can potentially use the "from" vs "by" arguement as a defense that you were obeying the law.