• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Cook Out

aj45acp

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony, I live in Hammond, WI. I am a Wisconsin Carry & an ICarry member. I open carry whenever I can and I also carry in Minnesota as I have a Minnesota Carry Permit.

I would like to have a cook out at my home to show the people in Hammond that law abiding citizens that carry firearms are not the enemy.

This is the short version of course:

Last December I applied for a Federal Firearms License to run a retail sales business from my home because I love firearms and I thought why not make some extra money doing something I love? So I filled out the F.F.L. application, paid the $200 fee, got finger printed, took my picture and sent it in. After the sixty day background check had been completed by the ATF, I received a phone call from an ATF agent by the name of Matt Peterson. He called to set up an appointment to come to my house to discuss the federal laws of selling firearms and to instruct me on proper book keeping for firearms sales. Well, in our phone conversation Matt asked me if I had checked into and was following all local and state laws regarding firearms sales. I told him that I had already called the state and a couple local gunsmiths and that there were no laws or regulations required by the state and that I was in the process of contacting the Village Of Hammond.

I contacted the Village Of Hammond and I was told at first that there would be no problem and that there were no restrictions with running a business from my home. A few days later a received a call from Kelly at the Village and she told me that she had talked with the Village attorney and that he said that I would have to fill out a conditional use permit because I was going to run a retail sales business from my home. There was a $150 non refundable permit fee and that the Village would have to post a notice in the paper that there would be a public hearing to discuss my business model and idea.

At the first public hearing about a half dozen of my neighbors showed and they could not wait to get up and talk about their opposition to my business. They didn't want to hear any information about what or why I wanted to have a business they were just dead set against it, period! They made claims that they were concerned for their children's safety because of the "extra traffic" my business would bring into the neighborhood, "how would we regulate the traffic and the speeding?" Concerns about where people would park, concerns about "ALL" of the firearms that would be in the neighborhood and "ALL" of the firearms that would be in my home. Concerns about if my home was broke into and my inventory stolen that their children would all be shot by the people who had stolen the inventory and the neighborhood turned into a war zone. Concerns about how their property values would decrease and how they would have to purchase additional home owners insurance because of liability issues because of my business. Statements like "I would not have bought my house if I knew you were selling guns from your house." & "My kids get off the bus at 3:30 and will be playing in the middle of the street by the time you open for business at 5."

Needless to say, the meeting did not go well. I was attacked with full opposing forces both personally and professionally. I was even accused of illegal activity. The board did not vote either way on my permit and this contuned for six months. The last board meeting was held May 9th and within about two minutes of announcing my name, the board voted no in granting me my permit solely based on the petition that was made by all of the people living in the development where I live. My neighbors had no facts or evidence to back up their claims or concerns and my business was shot down.

I found out about two weeks after the very first hearing from a retired neighbor who gets loose lipped when he has a couple that the only reason why ALL of my neighbors were against my business was because I openly carry a firearm. In his words, "When they all saw you walking around the neighborhood and mowing your lawn with your gun on your hip, they were pissed! So they banded together to prevent you from having your business." He even went so far as to tell me that I'm a minority living in this neighborhood and that someone like me shouldn't be living here because I'm single, no kids, older and everyone else is younger and married and has kids. Yeah.

So, I would like to have a cook out to show them that firearms and the law abiding people who own and carry them are NOT bad people. We are just the same as they are. We have families and husbands and wives and children and boyfriends and girlfriends (I don't have a girlfriend....yet) and we go to work just like they do. So join me in support of our Constitutional rights.

I have a gas grill to cook up whatever you bring. Bring your own beverages and perhaps snacks to share. Bring chairs to sit on and of course your firearms. Open carry is welcome but not required.
Thanks for you time.

Tony

HandyHamlet

:banghead:

Hammond residents bring opinions to board meeting
Published April 15, 2011, 08:00 AM
By: Ashley Halladay, New Richmond News

One of [Tony's] neighbors spoke to the board about his concerns with having a firearms business in his residential neighborhood.

In addition to traffic and safety concerns, the neighbor worried that the firearms business would have a negative impact on property values in the neighborhood. He also questioned whether [Tony] would have proper insurance for the business and whether [Tony's] business would affect his own home insurance

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Welcome Tony. You aren't in my neck of the woods, sorry. Wonder how many in your community have businesses out of their homes? I'm sure none of them do. {sarcasm off}.

littlewolf

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony, I live in Hammond, WI. I am a Wisconsin Carry & an ICarry member. I open carry whenever I can and I also carry in Minnesota as I have a Minnesota Carry Permit.

I would like to have a cook out at my home to show the people in Hammond that law abiding citizens that carry firearms are not the enemy.

This is the short version of course:

Last December I applied for a Federal Firearms License to run a retail sales business from my home because I love firearms and I thought why not make some extra money doing something I love? So I filled out the F.F.L. application, paid the $200 fee, got finger printed, took my picture and sent it in. After the sixty day background check had been completed by the ATF, I received a phone call from an ATF agent by the name of Matt Peterson. He called to set up an appointment to come to my house to discuss the federal laws of selling firearms and to instruct me on proper book keeping for firearms sales. Well, in our phone conversation Matt asked me if I had checked into and was following all local and state laws regarding firearms sales. I told him that I had already called the state and a couple local gunsmiths and that there were no laws or regulations required by the state and that I was in the process of contacting the Village Of Hammond.

I contacted the Village Of Hammond and I was told at first that there would be no problem and that there were no restrictions with running a business from my home. A few days later a received a call from Kelly at the Village and she told me that she had talked with the Village attorney and that he said that I would have to fill out a conditional use permit because I was going to run a retail sales business from my home. There was a $150 non refundable permit fee and that the Village would have to post a notice in the paper that there would be a public hearing to discuss my business model and idea.

At the first public hearing about a half dozen of my neighbors showed and they could not wait to get up and talk about their opposition to my business. They didn't want to hear any information about what or why I wanted to have a business they were just dead set against it, period! They made claims that they were concerned for their children's safety because of the "extra traffic" my business would bring into the neighborhood, "how would we regulate the traffic and the speeding?" Concerns about where people would park, concerns about "ALL" of the firearms that would be in the neighborhood and "ALL" of the firearms that would be in my home. Concerns about if my home was broke into and my inventory stolen that their children would all be shot by the people who had stolen the inventory and the neighborhood turned into a war zone. Concerns about how their property values would decrease and how they would have to purchase additional home owners insurance because of liability issues because of my business. Statements like "I would not have bought my house if I knew you were selling guns from your house." & "My kids get off the bus at 3:30 and will be playing in the middle of the street by the time you open for business at 5."

Needless to say, the meeting did not go well. I was attacked with full opposing forces both personally and professionally. I was even accused of illegal activity. The board did not vote either way on my permit and this contuned for six months. The last board meeting was held May 9th and within about two minutes of announcing my name, the board voted no in granting me my permit solely based on the petition that was made by all of the people living in the development where I live. My neighbors had no facts or evidence to back up their claims or concerns and my business was shot down.

I found out about two weeks after the very first hearing from a retired neighbor who gets loose lipped when he has a couple that the only reason why ALL of my neighbors were against my business was because I openly carry a firearm. In his words, "When they all saw you walking around the neighborhood and mowing your lawn with your gun on your hip, they were pissed! So they banded together to prevent you from having your business." He even went so far as to tell me that I'm a minority living in this neighborhood and that someone like me shouldn't be living here because I'm single, no kids, older and everyone else is younger and married and has kids. Yeah.

So, I would like to have a cook out to show them that firearms and the law abiding people who own and carry them are NOT bad people. We are just the same as they are. We have families and husbands and wives and children and boyfriends and girlfriends (I don't have a girlfriend....yet) and we go to work just like they do. So join me in support of our Constitutional rights.

I have a gas grill to cook up whatever you bring. Bring your own beverages and perhaps snacks to share. Bring chairs to sit on and of course your firearms. Open carry is welcome but not required.
Thanks for you time.

Tony

Hi Tony, I applied and got my FFL to sell from my home in '09, sound like you did everything right except for getting the village involved. I to had to get a letter from the zoning office to say it was ok to run a home based business period. Never Ever tell them what you are selling. Were you going to put up a store front or just sell on line and casual sales like I do? The store front will effect zoning where as home office type will not. get your ffl its none of the villages business.and I can assure you there will be no trafic jambs.

gunguy2009

When are you planning on having this cookout? I would like to attend, but that is one h*ll of a trip for me, lol. ($118 in gas, gasbuddy.com-trip calculator). I have family in Minnesota and I'm gonna be headed that way in a month or 2, I can plan my MN trip on your cookout date and Stop through for a burger...

wild boar

Want so to support your freedom; but, can't help think that this may be seen as a retaliatory gesture that will fuel their cause. I can just hear them now. Your friend In Freedom, Dennis Hamm. 315 miles south

aj45acp

Villige involved...& when

Hi,

I was thinking of having my cook out in a couple of weeks or so. Nothing too fancy or huge but I'm not putting any limits on the number of attendees either. The more the marrier I always say.

As far as getting the Village involved: It's my understanding that the ATF required it and to obey all local and state laws and as a law abiding citizen, I have nothing to hide so I notified the Village. And yes, there are others that live within the Village of Hammond that are conducting a home based business and most of them did not inform the Village as I have.

My first idea was to have retail sales from my home where people could come to my home to purchase or sell firearms but to curb the "traffic" concern of my nieghbors, I then proposed to just have an internet based business and again the nieghbors didn't want to hear it. All I wanted to do was to have a small home based business to sell a few items a month to earn a little extra money.

Tony

M

McX

So they banded together to prevent you ........... ( i cant even think of a civil, non-profane remark here).
time to do the II symbol i guess.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I think it is time to put up a sing that clearly states that your neighbors do not own firearms so the criminals will know where it is most likely to not meet armed resistance!

Can someone please post the picture of the yard sign I am referring to?

protias

anti-gun-yard-sign.jpg

aj45acp

Cook out - Yard sign

Hello and thank you for your comments. I have to laugh, I think that yard sign is great and if anyone has that yard sign, send it to me, I assure you that I WILL put it in my front yard. That's great!

I would like to also thank everyone for their interest in attending my cook out and I understand completely the distance issue. There has been many open carry events I would have liked to attend but most of them are in Madison or Milwaukee, etc. Which is one reason why I would like to have an open carry cook out here, to have more events in this area and to help people get used to the fact that firearms are a part of life. They helped create this great nation and continues to protect our freedoms. As I have said to a few of my non firearms friends, have you ever heard of the revolutionary war? George Washington didn't shout profanity at the British, he shot them. I have also said that I truely wish that we could ALL get along and be civil with one another and that there was world peace but unfortunatly, that's not the world we live in. There are bad people out there that want to do bad things to others and I'll be dammed if I'm not going to protect myself!

Tony

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson

goforlow

I have talked to Tony about his cookout and his issues with his village. Any help he can get with getting an FFL without his village's approval would be helpful to anyone considering an FFL. Also, if we can get anyone to attending his cookout it would be great! He is not planning on even 50 people, but that would be great.

Lets see if we can get 25 to 30 people for his cookout!

aj45acp

Cook Out - Date

Hello,

I'm looking at the calender and I'm just going to set a date for my first open carry cook out. If you can make it, great! If not, I will have a few more throughout the summer.

Saturday June 18, 2011. Since this is my first one, I'm not sure what time to set so I'll say 1pm. Bring lawn chairs, your choice of beverage, something to cook on the grill (I'll supply the gas grill) and perhaps something to share. If you have a folding table we could use, that would be good. We may not need it but like I say, I would rather have it and not need it than to need and not have it. I don't have any shade from trees so if you have a beach umbrella or something like that, you can bring that as well. :D

I found out this past week that my house is within 1,000 feet of some school owned property so you'll have to carry your cased firearm onto my property and then arm yourself. I will try to devise a system for keeping track of your cases so there is no confusion later when you disarm.

Not sure what contact info I should leave on here. Someone please respond and let me know. I can leave my email and or phone number.

Tony.

IcrewUH60

229 miles away from me :cry:

welcome aboard and thanks for the invite. My suggestion would be to have the folks who plan to attend send you a private message, then you could reply with the pertinent details (phone / address)

aj45acp

OC Cook out

That's a good idea so, if anyone who is close to my area (Hammond, WI) would like to attend my OC cook out on Jun3 18th, please send an email to me and I'll respond with my phone number. Thanks,

Tony

aj45acp

Date of Cookout...

I'm sorry, I just noticed that I set the date for my cookout on the Saturday of the weekend of Father's day. If no one has any objections, I would like to change that date to the Saturday before, June 11 at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tony

Krusty

As a side note, maybe you should invite ALL of your neighbors too. At least that way the "olive branch" has been extended and they have not been excluded from a summer cook out! They probably won't come, or probably won't stay long once the REAL people get there. But at least you've tried to be friendly.