• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested for standing and dancing?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed very disturbing video - want more information.

Only thing identifiable to me was U.S. Park Police, no precise location or date even.

Did see that man with a professional video cam set up was forced to leave also.

Not sure why the "problem," if one truly existed, could not have been handled on a completely different level first - a polite conversation instructing as to any rules and why they would enforce same.

ChiangShih

Indeed very disturbing video - want more information.

Only thing identifiable to me was Park Police, no precise location or date even.

Did see that man with a professional video cam set up was forced to leave also.

Not sure why the "problem," if one truly existed, could not have been handled on a completely different level first - a polite conversation instructing as to any rules and why they would enforce same.

Well what gets me is the men who were arrested after the couple. We don't know what was happening before the cameras were turned on in relation to the first couple arrested, but the other men that were subsequently arrested weren't doing anything but dancing in protest. They were clearly doing nothing wrong.

HandyHamlet

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Doesn't seem to get any better with more info coming avail -still not enough though.

Determined to be the Jefferson Memorial in Wash. D.C. Saw one reference to the Memorial being closed now.

All would seem to be out of control, over reaction to nothing, repeat nothing illegal.
The fallout, public reaction to this appears to be intense.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
Sadly, I'm not surprised especially considering the apparent government wide use of intimidation by unnecessary legislation and unchecked authority while the general public seemingly accepts and support it.
Welcome to America, you are free to do as you are told!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A court has determined that expressive dancing is the same as picketing and marching.:uhoh:

What is "expressive dancing"? How does two people dancing harm anyone? This was an old fashion, holding each other, slow dance. Guess that is expressive.

On the other hand, it appears that the two persons knew of the prohibition, yet proceeded anyhow. Others vow to return next week-end.

LV XD9

Here's the contact info for the US Parks Police, in case anyone wants to complain about the overreaction of the thugs in uniform:

http://www.nps.gov/uspp/tele.htm

The number I plan on using is this one:
Office of the Chief - 1100 Ohio Drive S.W., Washington, D. C. 20242 (202) 619-7350

Last edited:

Dreamer

No 1st Amendment expression in the Jefferson Memorial? Yeah that makes as much sense as only allowing blind people inside the Hirschorn, because people with eyesight might gasp at the beauty of a painting and "disrupt the tranquility"...

Interesting is the original case that issued the ruling that spawned this most recent protest was brought by Alan Gura. I guess the Courts have gotten a little tired of Mr. Gura and his massive string of 2A Wins, an decided to put one in the "loss" column for him, for the 1A instead. Yeah, that will show him...

What is DOES show is that the Courts and the US DOJ has utter disregard for the fundamental tenets of our Constitution, and for the memory of the Founding Fathers. To assert that Thomas Jefferson's memory is somehow sullied by "demonstrations" is such a sick, twisted interpretation of the law that it defies logic.

The Courts have shown their hand--they are not interested in upholding the Constitution, or Constitutionally-protected 1A actions, and they have shown that they are perfectly willing to give exemptions to Federal "property" for such acts--thereby making Federal Property a "1A-Free Zone", much like they have upheld the 2A-Free Zone in DC for decades--even AFTER the Heller Decision established it was unlawful.

There is a term for governments that, despite knowing the Law ad being sworn to uphold the Law, continue to uphold and support actions outside the Law by it's agents and officers. That word is "lawless"...

If DC wants to "go green" they might consider hooking up a few generators to Jefferson's grave--I'm sure the RPMs being generated there could power the entire District...

I'm wondering how long it is going to take a resourceful group of 1A activists to challenge this again. I'm thinking a "tour group" of people wearing bright yellow Gadsdon Flag t-shirts filing in to the Jefferson Memorial, and standing silently along the inside perimeter in front of all the columns--that would make a statement, and would not be "disruptive" in any way, and would certainly maintain the "decorum an contemplative nature" of the memorial.

May 28 2011 should remembered by all Good People as the day when it was officially established by the US DOJ and the Park Service that our government has, in fact, openly declared war on Freedom...

After all, to quote the movie "V for Vendetta":

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having! "

Last edited:

Dreamer

What is "expressive dancing"? How does two people dancing harm anyone? This was an old fashion, holding each other, slow dance. Guess that is expressive.

It is expressive of the most dangerous, revolutionary, and threatening idea imaginable to Tyrants. Oligarchs and Political Sociopaths:

Love.

And THAT sort of behavior will not be tolerated in the "Century of Change"...

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

May 28 2011 should remembered by all Good People as the day when it was officially established by the US DOJ and the Park Service that our government has, in fact, openly declared war on Freedom...

Homeland Security has been waging war on the First Amendment since it's inception by continually stating that photography is a suspicious act. Even the Coast Guard and their "American Water Ways" site says:

PEOPLE TAKING STILL PHOTOGRAPHS OR VIDEO TAPING FROM THE SHORE
...Is "suspicious activity" and should be reported.

"People photographing or video taping potential terrorist targets are engaged in activities that should be considered suspicious."

http://aww.aww-sp.com/what_is.htm

We are actually living in an Orwellian novel.

Every single day in this country photographers are being arrested for the crime of photography.

Anyone who spends any amount of time on this forum knows this isn't just a war on the First Amendment. Or the Second. Or the Fourth. This is a War on the Constitution of the United States of America by our own government. I look back and reread what I just wrote and shake my head. I sound like a conspiracy nut. Only the videos, news reports and first hand blogs don't lie. The stories aren't going away.

They are bringing Ar-15s while we dance. Happy Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I look back and reread what I just wrote and shake my head. I sound like a conspiracy nut.

No, when you say things like this you sound like someone who is awake, aware, and free to speak his mind, which is what a citizen in a FREE society is.

The branding of people who can see, speak about, and be outraged by oppression and tyranny as "conspiracy theorists" is part of the plan. When the world is ruled by sociopaths, "normal people" will be labeled as "crazy", because they are attempting to convert all of society ot their own twisted, psychotic way of thought.

Anyone who can experience compassion, or feel love, or is upset by infringements on liberty of good people is seen by these sociopaths as being the crazy ones, and so they try to brand them as "nutjobs" or "conspiracy theorists" or otherwise discredit them and attack their sanity as a method to establish the "new thought" which parallels their own sick, twisted minds.

Read "Political Ponerology" by Andrew M. Lobaczewski...
http://www.ponerology.com/

I can't wait to see if they roll out the APCs and LRADs on the DC Mall for July 4th this year.

Aknazer

Homeland Security has been waging war on the First Amendment since it's inception by continually stating that photography is a suspicious act. Even the Coast Guard and their "American Water Ways" site says:

...Is "suspicious activity" and should be reported.

"People photographing or video taping potential terrorist targets are engaged in activities that should be considered suspicious."

http://aww.aww-sp.com/what_is.htm

We are actually living in an Orwellian novel.

Every single day in this country photographers are being arrested for the crime of photography.

Anyone who spends any amount of time on this forum knows this isn't just a war on the First Amendment. Or the Second. Or the Fourth. This is a War on the Constitution of the United States of America by our own government. I look back and reread what I just wrote and shake my head. I sound like a conspiracy nut. Only the videos, news reports and first hand blogs don't lie. The stories aren't going away.

It depends on what the pictures are of. As a military member I have reported multiple people for taking pictures. Now these weren't just any pictures, these were people standing outside of the fence with long lenses (looked like 3ft lenses) and they were taking pictures of our flightline while I was stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa, Japan. One can also get in trouble for taking pictures of certain things while driving around on-base (for example taking pictures of fuel storage for aircrafts is generally a nono).

While I don't think simply taking pictures is anything to report, you need to take the whole of the situation into perspective. If something seems off to you there shouldn't be any reason for you to not report it, but on the same side the people who investigate the report shouldn't be able to violate your rights under the guise of "security."