• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walgreen's Rx

mspgunner

Repost from another site:
http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/4820927.txt

Pharmacist Jeremy Hoven talks to H-P about incident, says he did the right thing
By JIM DALGLEISH - Assistant Local News Editor
Published: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:07 PM EDT
BENTON TOWNSHIP - A photograph of four children tucked in a thank-you card from a coworker reminds Jeremy Hoven he did the right thing.

But doing "the right thing" cost the night shift pharmacist his job at the Walgreens drugstore at Napier Avenue and M-139. The national pharmacy chain fired Hoven on Monday, eight days after he fired his handgun to foil an armed robbery and a potentially deadly hostage situation at the store.

"In my mind, I can look at myself in the mirror. I can lay my head down in bed and sleep. In my mind, I did what I had to do," said the 36-year-old Twin Cities-area resident.

The two masked gunmen fled after Hoven fired three or four shots from his revolver during the 4:30 a.m. incident May 8, a Sunday.

The card came from the family of a Walgreens manager who had been working that shift. Hoven, who spoke in measured, crisp tones, got a little emotional showing the card during an interview Tuesday at The Herald-Palladium.
He carried the card in a three-ring binder of notes, memos and news clippings about the incident.
Hoven's lawyer, Peter Kosick of St. Joseph, said he is studying whether to pursue a wrongful termination lawsuit.
Berrien County Prosecutor Arthur Cotter said he reviewed police reports and store security video. He said Hoven did nothing criminal.
"It's one of those difficult cases," Cotter said. "If you're Walgreens, what do you do? I'm sure their lawyers don't want people carrying guns in their store."
Still, he said, Hoven may have saved lives.
42 seconds
Cotter said he would not release store video images until there are arrests. But accounts offered by Hoven, Cotter and Benton Township police appear consistent.
The pharmacy is in the store's northwestern corner, and the main entrance is at the southeastern corner. The entrance is obscured from the pharmacy by shelves of merchandise.
Hoven said the only other workers in the store were the cashier and two managers, who were working overlapping shifts. There were no customers in the store.
Hoven said his first hint something was wrong was seeing a manager run into a storeroom on the building's west side. Seconds later he saw a man brandishing a handgun, guiding the second manager around the shelf at the northeast corner.
"The first thing I tried to do was dial 911 but I couldn't get it done," Hoven said. "Within seconds he was over the counter. And I'm looking at the wrong end of a 9-millimeter (gun). He was holding it gangster-style" - sideways.
The robber had jumped over the counter, leaving the manager in the aisle. The robber came within a few feet of Hoven.
Hoven said the only thing behind the attacker was a cinder block wall. Thus he pulled his gun and fired three or four shots.
"I was creating a safe zone for myself," he said.
The attacker tried to fire back, but his gun either malfunctioned or the safety had been left on, Hoven said.
The two gunmen ran out of the store.
There have been no arrests in the case, and police suspect the one gunman was wounded. However, Hoven said there was no blood on the floor.
Hoven said the drugstore cameras indicate 42 seconds elapsed from when the men entered and when they left.
"I was reacting out of fear, and the adrenaline was taking over. ... You could have probably taken my pulse from my breath because my heart was beating that much," he said.
Hoven said he handed over his gun and concealed weapons permit, a plastic-coated card, to the first police officer to arrive, a Berrien County Sheriff's deputy. Police are holding the gun pending further investigation.
Getting a gun
Hoven, a Buchanan native, joined Walgreens in 2006 at the Pipestone Road store. He became night shift pharmacist at the Napier Avenue store when it opened in 2007.
The store was robbed by four neighborhood residents, one carrying a gun, in December 2007.
Afterward, Hoven said, he and other workers complained verbally to managers about the store's security shortcomings. He said nothing was done.
He said he then decided to get a concealed weapons permit. He said he is longtime gun owner and carries a National Rifle Association membership card.
He took the state-required Carrying a Concealed Weapon class through the Berrien County Sportsman's Club in Oronoko Township. The permit was issued in November 2008.
Hoven said he told no co-workers or Walgreens management that he carried the gun, and he never brandished it.
He said he knows of no specific Walgreens policy barring employees from carrying lawfully concealed weapons at work.
Kosick, Hoven's lawyer, said he suspects Walgreens didn't invest in more security because of the cost.
"It's all about the almighty dollar," Kosick said. "It's a really poor system" for protecting workers, customers and expensive drugs, many of which are sought by illegal drug users and dealers.
Termination
Hoven said he was surprised to be fired. He said he expected a reprimand and or a transfer to another store, and that Walgreens would gain lessons about store security.
"I wanted to have a rational discussion about that," he said.
He said he met Friday with a district manager and a Walgreens security manager. He learned through an email Monday that he had been fired.
"I have more grief over what I got from Walgreens than what I had to do to save my life ... and save my co-workers," he said.
He said he will seek another pharmacy job, describing the market for pharmacists as much tighter than it was when he graduated in 1999 from Ferris State University.
"And I think I'm going to retire from the night shifts," he said.

Hello from Missouri folks,
One thing I have learned from being very active in the concealed carry issue in Missouri is, saying you will never do business with a company again does nothing. They have no idea why they are losing money if you don't let them know!
You can contact Walgreens corporate at 1-800-925-4733 between 7:30AM and 5:00PM Central Monday through Friday. That will get the message out that we are upset with them firing a HERO! Be polite but firm.
Hopefully he will win the suit and they are forced to hire him back. He said there was nothing in their regulations that state he cannot carry a firearm while on duty. I see no reason for them to have fired him. If an employer cannot fire you because you are gay or used to be a man or belong to a fringe religious group they should not be able to fire you because you carry a firearm either!

Let's call that number also and let them know how we feel!

Beretta92FSLady

A hero as far as I am concerned. Big Businesses like Walgreen's are more concerned with their money, not customers, not the employees.

Last edited: