• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed Burlington Chocolate Fest, LEOs

wild boar

OCed at Burlington Chocolate Fest today. The Lady and I were on the midway; with the other fest goers,when we saw two city police cars working their way toward us through the crowd. The cars stopped behind us as we continued down the midway. I turned to the sound of. sir..siiirrr, and was approached by two LEOs. With one in front of me, and the other behind, the elder of the two started to talk. "You haven't done anything wrong, but, why the gun"? I informed him that it was a constitutionally correct thing to do. He agreed; then asked, "do you feel threatened"? 'No" I said, "It is your right to talk to me, just as it is my right to carry". "I served in the military for all rights, not just mine". After declining the younger LEOs request to return my handgun to the car, I was thanked by the elder one, wished well, and we were on our way. Good LEOs, good time. Look for posting next year, NO GUNS!:cool:

Last edited:

wild boar

And they did not insist to see your ID to confirm you are not a convicted-felon?

Brokensproket: I choose to make these encounters as pleasant as I can. I know he had no right to see my I.D.,but, gave it to him anyway. I feel, as I stated, that it was his right to speech, and as nice as he was I wasn't going to be disrespectful to him in front of the young LEO. Could be the young LEO learned something. I don't want to a part of the problem; rather, a part of the cure. We received good press today, good on us.

Last edited:

hardballer

We pick our battles. A win is a win. Wild Boar did a great job and I thank him and Brokensprocket for representing we Open Carriers in the honorable and respectful manner in which they did. Wild Boar at the Fest and Brokensprocket in Alma. I am proud to be in the company of such as these...

BROKENSPROKET

Brokensproket: I choose to make these encounters as pleasant as I can. I know he had no right to see my I.D.,but, gave it to him anyway. I feel, as I stated, that it was his right to speech, and as nice as he was I wasn't going to be disrespectful to him in front of the young LEO. Could be the young LEO learned something. I don't want to a part of the problem; rather, a part of the cure. We received good press today, good on us.

Here is where I am torn. I actually want LEO to have the ability to check anhyone carrying to see if they are a convicted felon. BUT, if they insist they have the legal right to demand ID when they do not, we are going to have a proiblem. IF the ask me if they can see my ID to make sure I am not a felon and indicate that I am not required to , I will comply.

paul@paul-fisher.com

OCed at Burlington Chocolate Fest today. The Lady and I were on the midway; with the other fest goers,when we saw two town police cars working their way toward us through the crowd. The cars stopped behind us as we continued down the midway. I turned to the sound of. sir..siiirrr, and was approached by two LEOs. With one in front of me, and the other behind, the elder of the two started to talk. "You haven't done anything wrong, but, why the gun"? I informed him that it was a constitutionally correct thing to do. He agreed; then asked, "do you feel threatened"? 'No" I said, "It is your right to talk to me, just as it is my right to carry". "I served in the military for all rights, not just mine". After declining the younger LEOs request to return my handgun to the car, I was thanked by the elder one, wished well, and we were on our way. Good LEOs, good time. Look for posting next year, NO GUNS!:cool:

Just a point of clarification. Town of Burlington or City of Burlington? If town, what were they doing in the city?

wild boar

Public, and Police perception

"Here is where I am torn. I actually want LEO to have the ability to check anyone carrying to see if they are a convicted felon. BUT, if they insist they have the legal right to demand ID when they do not, we are going to have a problem. IF the ask me if they can see my ID to make sure I am not a felon and indicate that I am not required to , I will comply."

Well said Brokensprocket!:cool:

As claimed, I'm a responsible, legal gun owner, and, as an OCer I have the chance at self protection against the illegals. Without a problem, I'll give the leos peace of mind by handing over I.D. If we would all voluntarily be checked it would not become an issue.

Last edited:

NavyMike

As claimed, I'm a responsible, legal gun owner, and, as an OCer I have the chance at self protection against the illegals. Without a problem, I'll give the leos peace of mind by handing over I.D. If we would all voluntarily be checked it would not become an issue.

Will you also voluntarily let them search your car and home, to give the LEOs peace of mind?

HandyHamlet

Yep.

In the NAZI state I escaped from every spring and fall for almost 20 years I was pulled over simply for riding. They "just wanted to check my insurance". They claimed it was legal because they were never "just profiling motorcycles". Thank you "Supreme" Court. Then they started check points.

I fled.

I will not voluntarily submit to any check up here. I have no where else to flee. This doesn't mean I won't be civil though.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

If we would all voluntarily be checked it would not become an issue.

I understand what you are meaning, however, let's just run a few scenarios. Let's say I am out shopping and plan on stopping at 5 stores in 5 LEO jurisdictions. 1st LEO stops me and it's not a big deal, just 5 minutes, he's nice enough and I'm on my way. I finish my shopping and got to the next store. Same thing, and the next, same thing.

By the end of the day I've been stopped 5 times, run my ID 5 times, wasted 25 minutes and I'm a little irritated. And, while I have no proof of this, I would bet there is some database somewhere that keeps track of who and when my ID was checked.

Let's also assume 'shall issue' passes (yuck!). I am now concealing and wear my WCI -shirt. Do you the support the LEO stopping and asking for my permit because he assumes I am carrying?

Let's get back to the present. I plan on going to Chocolate Fest today and OC. If I run into the same LEO's and ask if I am being detained, they might assume I have something to hide since the last guy they asked gave it up so easily. Still no RAS but you could make it harder on everyone else.

Please, I support your right to do as you wish but I would ask that you give it just a tiny bit more thought about the long term ramifications.